If you could buy the MDR-CD3000 new at $320..would you bite?
Nov 8, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #16 of 34
ugh, touchy question. I would. . . if I had the right amp. Meaning an Earmax, or a zotl. Amp choice is critical with these phones. I really don't think my Meta would do them justice.

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 34
CD3K + ZOTL = Eargasm! This is a great set-up.

I would say go for it at that price. At most, you'd lose $20 on the deal selling them here to someone else. That would be your cost of auditioning them for yourself.

BTW: why would pick an amp first, then pick a headphone to go with it? I think most would advise find the phone you like first, then build your system around that.

Are you locked into the META?

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #18 of 34
I voted no, but only because I don't like them, not because they're controversial.

I would not like them on a plane, I would not like them on a train.

There are lots of headphones I like that sell for less than $320 new.

Some people like them. Some people like poi.

Nov 9, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 34
And you heard them where-- at the Headroom meet in conjunction with an amp everyone seems to agree did not like the CD3K? Maybe you heard them at a Head-Fi meet. Can you clarify?

Either way, I can understand, I feel the same way about Grados.

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #20 of 34
Well, as someone who is just about to buy a pair of the Sony's, does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a pair? The only places I could find on the internet are about $410 or more, and those that are cheaper are unreputable. I have gone that route before and do NOT want to go there again.

I did find a guy on eBay willing to sell a brand new pair for $379 plus shipping, so that gives you, and me, a price to shoot for and beat!
eek.gif

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #23 of 34
Thanks Mark!! I'll bookmark that page for future use. Right now I am really trying to decide whether to just take the plunge and buy the Sony's, or wait until AT releases their new 1000 series cans. The wooden unit doesn't appeal to me, but the A1000 really caught my attention. It if takes the sound of the highly praised A100Ti and improves upon it in any way it will be something worth serious consideration.

For now I'll live with the Senn 600s. I returned the Equinox today due to ergonomic reasons. The sound was quite good, but I couldnt deal with the reinforcing on the headphone clips. They kept hitting my shoulders every time I turned my head. Plus, the stiffness of the cables made it pull awkwardly on the cans unless the cables dangled straight down towards the ground. And since it was so havey it tended to bunch up at my feet and either get in my way or almost get caought under the chair every time I had to move.

Thanks again!! It's people helping people that makes Head-Fi such a community. That and everyone loves to live vicariously thur anyone else with a little credit left on their credit cards!!

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:15 AM Post #24 of 34
Glad to be of service, but let me leave you with this---

Even if you buy the AT-1000 (which have every earmark of becoming a "headphone classic", but again no-one's heard them yet), you're always going to wonder, well what about the CD3000?

At $400 you need to consider the cost of auditioning them. You can always sell them here "used" (with a minimum of hours from your audition) for around $325-$350. Might be worth $50 bucks to compare them against the AT W1000.

Just a thought...

Mark

Nov 9, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #25 of 34
The pair that I heard at the Headroom NY meet didn't sound too hot, I didn't like their sound at all. They were however, hands down the most comfy headphone I have ever used, nothing else can touch them there, expect I guess the R10. But the sound was pretty bad, so who cares
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #26 of 34
Mark,

Losing $25-50 just to audition a set of cans isn't an option for me. I'm sure that whatever cans I get will be quite satisfactory, whether it be the A1000, W1000, W100, A100Ti that someone doesn't want (you listening Lou, Ablaze), or Sony CD3K. Any one of these will be a big improvement on what I currently have, so I'll be happy once I decide. Before the flames and war breaks out, all I'm saying is, like most people, I prefer to do more homework and research, make an informed decision, and then try to live with it and enjoy the music!! (Which may mean stay away from reading certain articles here for a while!!!
wink.gif
) The idea of buying and trying can after can and losing money for shipping each time makes me sick! I already lost $12 with the Equinox! I 'd love to audition a bunch of stuff, but losing money each time is not possible. And I would end up feeling guilty about buying and returning a bunch of cans also. I was perfectly happy with my Senn 600s, but when the opportunity presented itself to upgrade/improve upon these beloved cans for next to nothing by getting rid of the Equinox and selling the Senns, I decided to take it! Carpe diem! Now I just need to figure out what I will get next..... And I would like to say thank you and that I am extremely grateful for all those who take the time to not only write and perform very insightful and in-depth reviews and evaluations of these wonderful headphone products that are available, but also spend the time trying to selflessly help others figure/sort out what they need/want. People get paid to do this kind of work!! And lots of us don't have a ZOTL, Melos, Head, and a Blockhead sitting around to A/B things, so we rely on the expertise of those who have one or more of these to help us!! And it ain't easy to recommend cans and amps to people who's tastes are different, music is probably different, hearing ability is different, tastes in sonic characteristics vary, sources/cables/power cables influence and interact, ad nauseum. THANKS GUYS!!!

Mark: are you just living vicariously thru me and therefore encouraging me to buy more stuff???
wink.gif

Lord Bless

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
The pair that I heard at the Headroom NY meet didn't sound too hot, I didn't like their sound at all. They were however, hands down the most comfy headphone I have ever used, nothing else can touch them there, expect I guess the R10. But the sound was pretty bad, so who cares
redface.gif

KR,

Thanks for the input. It does help to know that some people just don't like the sound this thing produces!! IT ain't perfect, and it's good to know that. That's why every single manufacturer's sound is slightly different - it allows us to match our music and sonic preferences to OUR ears and equipment. There is not a single set of cans that will please everyone, so let's be big enough to accept that and buy what we do like and let those who like something else enjoy them also. I for one am happy as can be that someone else likes something like the Sony DJ series of cans. If they like them and use them, it's better than a set of Grados sitting around collecting dust because someone cinvinced them that their Snoy's suck and the Grados are the ticket!

Mark,

I'll wait until the A1000 comes out and someone reviews it before I decide on what to buy. With 3000 available it should be no problem picking one up a few weeks into their release.

Lord Bless, I'll get off my soap box now.

Nov 9, 2002 at 11:30 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Either way, I can understand, I feel the same way about Grados.

With their strange mid-treble boost... hear hear mark!!

But... Ablaze ~ have you mentioned your musical tastes? People here have heard the CD3Ks, and others have heard the AT sound (presuming that all their headphones follow the same sonic signature)... so maybe rather than a pure which ones better... it should be a which ones better with ________ music?

Just my £0.02

Nov 9, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I'll wait until the A1000 comes out and someone reviews it before I decide on what to buy. With 3000 available it should be no problem picking one up a few weeks into their release.

Lord Bless, I'll get off my soap box now.

Something sounds a bit strange here... 3000 A1000s, 2000 AT100Tis...

Is this marketing hype... to suck everyone in quickly, with their 'limited availability'?

Just a thought... but... I guess if they sound great ~ who cares?!

Nov 9, 2002 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
With their strange mid-treble boost... hear hear mark!!

But... Ablaze ~ have you mentioned your musical tastes? People here have heard the CD3Ks, and others have heard the AT sound (presuming that all their headphones follow the same sonic signature)... so maybe rather than a pure which ones better... it should be a which ones better with ________ music?

Just my £0.02

I won't go into my music tastes. too diversified. and shouldn't a good set of speakers/headphones sound good with all types of music? thats why I want something neutral I guess. so everything will sound the way it should, uncoloured, unenhanced..just the way it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back