If you could buy the MDR-CD3000 new at $320..would you bite?
Nov 8, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 34
well that all depends on your amp. if you got the proper amp that would create the correct synergy with those phones, its certainly an option to consider because of the incredible price. also dependent on if your willing to build a system around this phone. if not, then no..

edit (forgot my own opinion
tongue.gif
): even at this very nice price, i would have to refuse. i don't have enough money for this phone and a right amp to match it.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 34
Is is $320 shipped? Used CD3000 sell for around $300 (I've sold some on Audiogon). $320 seems like a good deal for a brand new pair, although they'll take some time to break-in. They are pretty comfy phones, and the pair I had wasn't bright or silibant. I was at least the third owner of that pair.

Nov 8, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
Is is $320 shipped? Used CD3000 sell for around $300 (I've sold some on Audiogon). $320 seems like a good deal for a brand new pair, although they'll take some time to break-in. They are pretty comfy phones, and the pair I had wasn't bright or silibant. I was at least the third owner of that pair.

you've sold some? are you a dealer?
smily_headphones1.gif

what is this "ringing" resonance that some speak of with the CD3ks? you experienced that?

wow. suddenly there're 6 supporters of the CD3ks. this looks to be exciting
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
you've sold some? are you a dealer?
smily_headphones1.gif

what is this "ringing" resonance that some speak of with the CD3ks? you experienced that?

wow. suddenly there're 6 supporters of the CD3ks. this looks to be exciting
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, I'm not a dealer. I got them used from chych - another Head-Fier. I didn't experience any brightness or "ringing" with the CD3Ks, but some people have complained about it. The CD3000 are pretty picky about the amp that you use with them. They didn't sound good with the Headmaster. I think Hirsch said that they sound good with the Micro ZOTL.

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 34
In addition to the ZOTL, the X-Can v2 works very well with the CD-3000. The person who sold me the EAR HP4 has the W2002, but has recently been using the X-Can/CD-3000 as his primary headphone combo.

Add in a power supply upgrade and NOS tubes (and an op amp upgrade for the adventurous), and you've got a seriously good headphone setup.

Nov 8, 2002 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
In addition to the ZOTL, the X-Can v2 works very well with the CD-3000. The person who sold me the EAR HP4 has the W2002, but has recently been using the X-Can/CD-3000 as his primary headphone combo.

Add in a power supply upgrade and NOS tubes (and an op amp upgrade for the adventurous), and you've got a seriously good headphone setup.

I made it to 1800 posts without getting a meta42

So you didn't make it to 1890?
evil_smiley.gif

I have the Zotl, so I suppose I'd have to check this out at 3C.

Nov 8, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 34
I just did a quick listen to the CD3000s with a CHA47, a portable META built by JMT, the Sugden, and an Earmax Pro. The CD was a few cuts from Forty Licks, the Rolling Stones compilation.
Here's my findings (remember, my ears are 54 years old!):
Sugden: waaaaaay too bright. No bass to speak of.
CHA47: sound was thin, again very little bass. Too much top end.
META42: better, but still not too good. A bit more bass. A more balanced sound, but still harsh in the upper registers.
Earmax Pro: Heaven.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
If you could buy the MDR-CD3000 new at $320..would you bite?

I would personally wait for the ATH-W1000. But I haven't heard it; though if it lives up to the speculation, it will likely sound better with a CHA-47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back