If you could buy the MDR-CD3000 new at $320..would you bite?
post-211073
Post #2 of 34

kin3tix

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 27, 2002
Messages
644
Reaction score
1
Joined
Aug 27, 2002
Posts
644
Likes
1
well that all depends on your amp. if you got the proper amp that would create the correct synergy with those phones, its certainly an option to consider because of the incredible price. also dependent on if your willing to build a system around this phone. if not, then no..

edit (forgot my own opinion
): even at this very nice price, i would have to refuse. i don't have enough money for this phone and a right amp to match it.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211155
Post #4 of 34

yidimsum

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Messages
515
Reaction score
0
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
515
Likes
0
Is is $320 shipped? Used CD3000 sell for around $300 (I've sold some on Audiogon). $320 seems like a good deal for a brand new pair, although they'll take some time to break-in. They are pretty comfy phones, and the pair I had wasn't bright or silibant. I was at least the third owner of that pair.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211171
Post #5 of 34

ablaze

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
1,178
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally posted by yidimsum
Is is $320 shipped? Used CD3000 sell for around $300 (I've sold some on Audiogon). $320 seems like a good deal for a brand new pair, although they'll take some time to break-in. They are pretty comfy phones, and the pair I had wasn't bright or silibant. I was at least the third owner of that pair.


you've sold some? are you a dealer?


what is this "ringing" resonance that some speak of with the CD3ks? you experienced that?

wow. suddenly there're 6 supporters of the CD3ks. this looks to be exciting
 
     Share This Post       
post-211207
Post #7 of 34

Budgie

Never looks a gift amp in the jackhole.
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
2,154
Reaction score
18
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
2,154
Likes
18
I like mine. But they are sensative to the amp they are used with.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211249
Post #9 of 34

yidimsum

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Messages
515
Reaction score
0
Joined
Feb 25, 2002
Posts
515
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
you've sold some? are you a dealer?


what is this "ringing" resonance that some speak of with the CD3ks? you experienced that?

wow. suddenly there're 6 supporters of the CD3ks. this looks to be exciting


Nope, I'm not a dealer. I got them used from chych - another Head-Fier. I didn't experience any brightness or "ringing" with the CD3Ks, but some people have complained about it. The CD3000 are pretty picky about the amp that you use with them. They didn't sound good with the Headmaster. I think Hirsch said that they sound good with the Micro ZOTL.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211261
Post #10 of 34

radrd

Found that torchiere lamps induce nicotine addiction in moths.
Joined
Dec 9, 2001
Messages
3,180
Reaction score
11
Joined
Dec 9, 2001
Posts
3,180
Likes
11
Anyone ever try them with a META42?
 
     Share This Post       
post-211262
Post #11 of 34

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Messages
7,820
Reaction score
23
Joined
Aug 12, 2001
Posts
7,820
Likes
23
In addition to the ZOTL, the X-Can v2 works very well with the CD-3000. The person who sold me the EAR HP4 has the W2002, but has recently been using the X-Can/CD-3000 as his primary headphone combo.

Add in a power supply upgrade and NOS tubes (and an op amp upgrade for the adventurous), and you've got a seriously good headphone setup.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211264
Post #12 of 34

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Messages
4,710
Reaction score
12
Joined
Mar 28, 2002
Posts
4,710
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
In addition to the ZOTL, the X-Can v2 works very well with the CD-3000. The person who sold me the EAR HP4 has the W2002, but has recently been using the X-Can/CD-3000 as his primary headphone combo.

Add in a power supply upgrade and NOS tubes (and an op amp upgrade for the adventurous), and you've got a seriously good headphone setup.


**************
I made it to 1800 posts without getting a meta42
**************

So you didn't make it to 1890?



I have the Zotl, so I suppose I'd have to check this out at 3C.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211272
Post #13 of 34

ablaze

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 5, 2002
Posts
1,178
Likes
10
thanks Hirsch. sounds like a lot of dough's required for a decent CD3k rig. unless someone can verify how it sounds with the meta..or even a cha47..

vote's interesting:
at first it was a 0:8 lead to the AT cans
now its a very tight 11:13..
 
     Share This Post       
post-211460
Post #14 of 34

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Moderator
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
13
Joined
Jun 22, 2001
Posts
4,649
Likes
13
I just did a quick listen to the CD3000s with a CHA47, a portable META built by JMT, the Sugden, and an Earmax Pro. The CD was a few cuts from Forty Licks, the Rolling Stones compilation.
Here's my findings (remember, my ears are 54 years old!):
Sugden: waaaaaay too bright. No bass to speak of.
CHA47: sound was thin, again very little bass. Too much top end.
META42: better, but still not too good. A bit more bass. A more balanced sound, but still harsh in the upper registers.
Earmax Pro: Heaven.
 
     Share This Post       
post-211484
Post #15 of 34

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
Joined
Jan 27, 2002
Messages
887
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 27, 2002
Posts
887
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally posted by ablaze
If you could buy the MDR-CD3000 new at $320..would you bite?


I would personally wait for the ATH-W1000. But I haven't heard it; though if it lives up to the speculation, it will likely sound better with a CHA-47.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top