If you are looking for a small MP3 player
Aug 19, 2002 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I have a suggested product for anyone looking for a smaller MP3 player with good (not great...it is MP3) sonics: The I-Jam IJ-50 MP3 player.

I know...MP3's are not the greatest in terms of sonics. However, I use mine when I work out...it gives me something to concentrate on besides how much I'm hurting at any given moment. So it's not my home stereo...so shoot me.
biggrin.gif

It's not much bigger than a box of matches, and uses CompactFlash memory chips. It turned out that I had a digital camera that used them, so I ordered one from eBay for $25.

So far, I've been very pleased with the results. The sound quality I'm getting from something so small is impressive. A 64mb card holds about 90 minutes of music at 96k, which is actually listenable on this player. I like the flexibility of the CompactFlash, as I can change cards in the middle of a workout if I feel like listening to something else. Also, I can't argue with the cost...although I already had some CompactFlash cards and a card reader/writer, which made it cheaper for me to acquire. It's light enough that I can carry it in the front pocket of my shorts while I'm on the treadmill and I don't even notice that it's there.

The bad news: it EATS batteries. I'm getting 10-15 hours out of a pair of AAA's...sometimes even less. I'm thinking that it must have a better op-amp, which would explain the sound quality and the low battery life. However, I really don't care about that, as it frees me from my old walkman.

If anyone out there is looking for something similar, I recommend checking it out.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Three cans on a five can scale - recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back