If the different price wasn't an issue, TA 4.5V or CHA-47?
Aug 11, 2002 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HappymaN

500+ Head-Fier
From what I've read via the search function, I'm pretty sure that anyone who has listened to a CHA-47 and a Total Airhead, prefers the CHA-47. I am considering purchasing the Total Airhead second hand, while my order with JMT for the CHA-47 is being processed.

I will be using the amplifier with my ER-4P's.

Anyone heard both, and have an opinion? Which one do you find more soniclly pleasing, and why?

Cheers.

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Heard both and have both. To my ears there is simply no contest.......the CHA47 wins handily. Bass is deeper and better controlled, midrange has more presence and detail, and highs are more extended. I never use crossfed so that is not a factor. As usual, this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
From what I've read via the search function, I'm pretty sure that anyone who has listened to a CHA-47 and a Total Airhead, prefers the CHA-47. I am considering purchasing the Total Airhead second hand, while my order with JMT for the CHA-47 is being processed.

I will be using the amplifier with my ER-4P's.

Anyone heard both, and have an opinion? Which one do you find more soniclly pleasing, and why?

Cheers.

HappymaN,

I take it you got your Ety's repaired ?

I've been using the 4P's with the TAH for many months. It does the job (and if you can get it cheap 2nd hand, don't know your financial situation...) but I've opted for a quantum leap and have asked JMT to build me a META42 for portable use. If you can spring for the bucks, I'm pretty sure (via endless threads and searches I've read) the CHA-47 or a META42 will be much more satisfying. Good Luck !

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 8
Yes, my ER-4P's were repaired, completely free of charge - very impressive indeed.

It just seems as though JMT is very busy at the moment, and I saw a Total Airhead get sold for $80US if the Gear For Trade forum - I was considering picking up a TAH to use until JMT gets some free time on his hands to hook me up with a CHA-47. Then I would be able to sell the TAH to somebody in Australia, and live happily ever after with the CHA-47.

frown.gif
Anxiety is killing me...

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Yes, my ER-4P's were repaired, completely free of charge - very impressive indeed.

It just seems as though JMT is very busy at the moment, and I saw a Total Airhead get sold for $80US if the Gear For Trade forum - I was considering picking up a TAH to use until JMT gets some free time on his hands to hook me up with a CHA-47. Then I would be able to sell the TAH to somebody in Australia, and live happily ever after with the CHA-47.

frown.gif
Anxiety is killing me...

Very glad to hear about your 4P's. The next call is up to you...

Aug 11, 2002 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 8
HighwayStar:

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll monitor the F/S forum, and see if I can pick up a bargain to ease my anxiety.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

HighwayStar:

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll monitor the F/S forum, and see if I can pick up a bargain to ease my anxiety.
biggrin.gif

The AH & TAH show up from time to time on eBay as well.

Aug 12, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
Heard both and have both. To my ears there is simply no contest.......the CHA47 wins handily. Bass is deeper and better controlled, midrange has more presence and detail, and highs are more extended. I never use crossfed so that is not a factor. As usual, this is just my opinion.
smily_headphones1.gif

And your opinion is dead on. The TAH doesn't come close to the CHA47 (nor to the META42). For portable use, going with the JMT-built CHA47 is a good move (I also use them with the Etys, but with the 4s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back