If RWA would make an Imod with the 1st Gen Nano 4GB again, would you buy one?
Mar 17, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #31 of 72
Not so simple I guess, it would involve buying broken nanos, desolder the DACs, desolder the dac on the new gen, solder the 8975 on the new gen and I'm pretty 100% sure it would not work. If so, they would have stick with the 8975 in the new ones. Guess where they're getting their 24 hours of playback...

Mar 18, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #34 of 72
Anyone else ?
confused.gif

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit
how many generations of Nano's are there? First and Second? are all of the Black and White Nano's in 2 and 4GB First Generation?

do the TurboDock's work with the Nano? and how does it compare with an iMod?

what would it take to get an iPod/ iMod with a digital line out? or is it even possible..

There are 2 generations of Nano's, the first one only available in 1,2,4 GB and in only 2 colors, black and white. The second one is available in 2,4,8 GB and in 6 colors, silver, blue, green, pink, red and black, they kinda look like a miniature version of the ipod mini's.

Yeah the turbodock does work with any nano's. An Imod certainly beats any dock line-outs cause all the crappy resistors/capacitors are remove from the signal path and the DAC is connected directly to Black Gates NX Caps to form a quality clean line-out.

However, It is possible to get digital out from an ipod but at a cost of $2000.... just forget it and it is not even portable.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 2 generations of Nano's, the first one only available in 1,2,4 GB and in only 2 colors, black and white. The second one is available in 2,4,8 GB and in 6 colors, silver, blue, green, pink, red and black, they kinda look like a miniature version of the ipod mini's.

Yeah the turbodock does work with any nano's. An Imod certainly beats any dock line-outs cause all the crappy resistors/capacitors are remove from the signal path and the DAC is connected directly to Black Gates NX Caps to form a quality clean line-out.

However, It is possible to get digital out from an ipod but at a cost of $2000.... just forget it and it is not even portable.

thanks!

$2000 iPod, oh yeah

so the 4th G iPod and the 1st G Nano's are the best sounding iPods do to the Woflson DAC, correct?

would the 1st G Nano make a good portable on it's on even without using an external amp with it? I have thought of getting a 1st G Shuffle for they are suppose to have good SQ plus do to it's size and weight factor. the 1st G Nano would still be small and light enough with better menu and also allow me to use a TurboDock with it to hook up to me MicroAmp.

what are the pluses with flash drives on the Nano and Shuffle over the HD on the iPods? I think I have read that in the furture iPods will use flash drives as well. is it more than just battery life?

which G iPods is RWA doing the iMod's on? and why that particualr G?

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

so the 4th G iPod and the 1st G Nano's are the best sounding iPods do to the Woflson DAC, correct?

Not exactly, the best sounding Ipod out of the HP out is claim to be the first gen Shuffle. They do have the best DAC's but there's a bass roll-off on both due to cheap components following the Wolfson.

Quote:

would the 1st G Nano make a good portable on it's on even without using an external amp with it? I have thought of getting a 1st G Shuffle for they are suppose to have good SQ plus do to it's size and weight factor. the 1st G Nano would still be small and light enough with better menu and also allow me to use a TurboDock with it to hook up to me MicroAmp.

I would not suggest to use the Nano by itself as it's one of the worst sounding Ipods but still better than the 2nd Gen Shuffle's/Nano's and Mini's.

A Shuffle would be better in this kind of situation. Honestly, at the price that they're going right now, it's ridiculous! With $170, you can have a refurbished 1st Gen Nano 4GB + refurbished Ipod Shuffle 1GB. That's probably what I'm gonna do.

Quote:

what are the pluses with flash drives on the Nano and Shuffle over the HD on the iPods? I think I have read that in the furture iPods will use flash drives as well. is it more than just battery life?

Flash drives

Pros : No lock-ups, solid-state memory, no disk spinning, need less power, can endure tougher temperatures, etc.
Cons : Small storage capacity and expensive.

Hard drives

Pros : Excellent storage capacity, cheaper, you can change them.
Cons : More prone to failures, power hungry, bigger, etc.

I don't know about the future Ipods but they'll sure have both kind of drives.
The +100 GB in flash drives are too expensive right now and not that available.

Quote:

which G iPods is RWA doing the iMod's on? and why that particualr G?

They are modding exclusively the 4th Gen wich all have the WM8975 DAC and have enough space inside to transform the HP out to a Line-out but most people choose the Ipod Photo 60GB for the best storage capacity + color screen. Before, they did 1 or 2 Nano's but it was much more harder.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

most people choose the Ipod Photo 60GB for the best storage capacity + color screen.

With regards to the 60GB 4G iMod, another reson is that the 60GB case is bigger than the other 4G cases and should accept the 120GB Hard Drive suitable for iPods that hopefully will come out in soon. Seagate was supposed to have one out by December, but we're still waiting (Seagate Article).
Vinnie has said once it is out he is willing to do the hard drive swap for those of us who have 60GB units as long as the 120GB HD will work.
So hopefully then I'll be able to have a 120GB iMOD...which will then be the best storage capacity iMod!
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #40 of 72
i can't wait for the 120gb. that looks like the only thing that's feasible... but i bet it's gonna cost like $300 for it... is the ipod configuration too complicated for diy'er to make modifications? because i would think that there's more than just vinnie out there that's interested in making these tweaks, besides the chinese guy, who isn't an established vendor and we have very little info on it.... though a 5G 80gb tweak would be absolutely awesome....

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Not exactly, the best sounding Ipod out of the HP out is claim to be the first gen Shuffle. They do have the best DAC's but there's a bass roll-off on both due to cheap components following the Wolfson.

A Shuffle would be better in this kind of situation. Honestly, at the price that they're going right now, it's ridiculous! With $170, you can have a refurbished 1st Gen Nano 4GB + refurbished Ipod Shuffle 1GB. That's probably what I'm gonna do.

thanks for the info!

so what is or is not inside the 1st G Shuffle that makes it so good over other iPods?

which ear buds do most enjoy with the 1st G Shuffle?

was the bass roll off on the Shuffle as well or just the 4th G iPod and the 1st G Nano?

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #44 of 72
All,

I apologize for the delay in me reponding to this thread...

I understand that there are some of you interested in having the 1st Gen Nano modded, but I have decided not to offer this for the following reasons:

1) Limited storage space. When using an modded iPod, you are going to want to use Apple Lossless, or WAV (or FLAC if using Rockbox)... all of these take up a lot of space and 2GB or 4GB is not that much storage for Lossless encoded or WAV files.

2) There is no space inside of the Nano to fit the upgraded signal capacitors. The one Nano that I did mod used a "pigtail" cable that was hard-wired to the motherboard in the Nano, and the upgraded capacitors were installed in the cable itself.

My biggest concern with this is reliability. I have discovered early on when I first started offering the iMod with the pigtail option was that it is not reliable and I stopped offering this. Also, I'd have to make different length pigtails (someone might want 3", another might want 3 feet, etc.).

3)

Quote:

He didn't keep making them because it took too much time. It's the same reason he won't imod the 5g Ipods- it's not that he can't, it's just not enough space to work with. The labor takes much longer making the operation financially less profitable.

This is very true. I have performed the iMod on the Nano (as well as the iPod Video). The Nano is very difficult to mod and even more delicate than the 4th Gen iPods, and MUCH more time consuming. The same holds true for the iPod Video... they are an extreme PITA to mod and I couldn't do it for $199.00.

My prices would be much higher, and that wouldn't be attractive because you can get a 60GB iPod Photo + iMod for less $$$.

I just posted here (http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=38537.0) that I have a new batch of 60GB iPod Photos in stock and ready for the iMod, so I will be sticking with modding these for a while
cool.gif

60GB is pretty large, but regarding even larger hard drives, if anyone finds them for sale online (100GB Toshiba or 120GB Seagate, I believe) with ATA interface, please let me know because I will order one and try it with the 60GB iPod Photo.

Regarding the sound quality of the various iPods, it is important to clarify if you are referring to the stock headphone output of the iPod vs. the line-out (using headphone amp or home audio amp). The iMod is intended to be used with a headphone amp or home audio amp... the modded output is a line-out and the volume cannot be adjusted via the iPod. All of that is bypassed (along with other components in the signal path), but you need a headphone amplifier with volume control.

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Again, thanks for all your interest and support!

Best regards,

Vinnie

Mar 19, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #45 of 72
^ I am sad to see that we will never see more iMod nano's out there.
But I respect your choice, and the reason behind it!

Hopefully someone else see the market for such a device and step up to it!
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back