If No One Uses EQ, Why The Desire For Players With Custom EQ?
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
I mean seriously, whenever anyone starts a thread about "who uses EQ or not", 9 out of 10 people reply "EQ OFF".

Yet it seems 9 out of 10 people want an MP3 player or Ipod that has custom EQ. Isn't that a contradiction?

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 43
It's a yes and no.

In a perfect world, I would prefer not to EQ. BUT in some case, the phones call for slight adjustments, which stock settings never fulfill.

For example, with my Shure SCL2, I found it too muddy and like to add just a little treble boost. iPod's EQ setting overdoes it. Custom EQ would be preferable in these situations I think.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 43
I do not need EQ, but, the DAP with my favorite sounding already came with EQ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean seriously, whenever anyone starts a thread about "who uses EQ or not", 9 out of 10 people reply "EQ OFF".

Yet it seems 9 out of 10 people want an MP3 player or Ipod that has custom EQ. Isn't that a contradiction?

This is because an iPod's EQ distorts sound. Apple didn't intend listeners to use the ipod with the JH-13 pros, so they didn't really smooth out their EQ. Some players have a great EQ settings that are very customizable, but while most head-fiers use ipods, they don't use EQ because of its bad quality.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 43
The Samsung P3 has a great EQ, as does the Cowon S9. Apple players are a joke.

In a perfect world indeed, EQ would not be needed. But not every phone is perfect (like my SE530s, which I had to EQ the high end out..)

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where are you getting that impression?

You can count me as that 1 in 10, btw (that say "EQ ON"). I think EQ has its uses and see no reason not to use it. I'm talking about the parametric EQ that is provided in Rockbox, btw.

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I EQ alot when I was using cowon and sony back then. because I try to tuned each song to my preferred sounding but each song need different EQ so I gave up.

This is exactly why I stopped EQing. I had an EQ for every song it was crazy!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 43
Seriously, is the iPod EQ really that bad? I've never owned an iPod before. (that's probabl y the reason why...yes that renders my question invalid)

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you getting that impression?

You can count me as that 1 in 10, btw (that say "EQ ON"). I think EQ has its uses and see no reason not to use it. I'm talking about the parametric EQ that is provided in Rockbox, btw.

x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, is the iPod EQ really that bad? I've never owned an iPod before. (that's probabl y the reason why...yes that renders my question invalid)

Absolutely terrible with stock Apple firmware, but very customisable and distortion free with Rockbox.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Absolutely terrible with stock Apple firmware, but very customisable and distortion free with Rockbox.

Rockbox is great with most players...I just never liked the gui..

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah it's awful, even with relatively low resolution things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not using EQ when something sounds wrong to you is like wearing shoes that are too small just because they cost a lot.

What...?

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #15 of 43
I like EQ. I will gladly use it if it's functional. The problem for me is most EQs on these players are very, very, very basic. You get a few bands, and that's it. It makes the adjustment crude and largely unuseful. It makes it pointless. In this sense, EQs on portable devices are pointless and the ones on devices right now are pretty worthless from a truly useful standpoint. I would rather buy the correct earphone first and run no EQ. However, if a manufacturer would get be at least 10 bands to work with, I will very happily use it. It will let me run a larger variety of headphones tuned to my preference. This opens up purchase options greatly. Right now, we're simply forced to buy what sounds correct instead of tuning a device to our preference. It's a very bad approach because we must pass up a lot of good hardware simply because the frequency response is wrong for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back