If I refuse a UPS shipment...
Nov 8, 2008 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
Does the customs fee and brokerage fee get waived (ie, sender will not have to pay them in order to get the package back?)? I just got hit with a $48 fee for a $50...facking turdbags.

Brendan

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't think so, somebody will have to pay it regardless. The "service" has already been provided and they would be looking for payment.

I myself resigned and ate the fees the first time it happened to me. It's just something that has to be learned by experience, to ask things not to be shipped by UPS, is all.

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the customs fee and brokerage fee get waived (ie, sender will not have to pay them in order to get the package back?)? I just got hit with a $48 fee for a $50...facking turdbags.

Brendan

i work for a mail order company, and have some experience with this, and probably am also somewhat biased as a result. here's what i believe to be the case....

ups charges a brokerage fee to get it thru customs -- they have provided that service. once they do so, it is on your side of the border. you can refuse the package. the shipper must then pay shipping both ways to get it back, possibly brokerage in both directions to get it back to 'their' side of the border, and may have to pay duties.

the shipper has the option of abandoning the package if the costs to get it back are not justfied given the value of the contents.

i would say that whatever feelings you have about the charges imposed by YOUR government and UPS, you ordered the package, bear the responsibility for finding out what it will actually cost you to get the package, etc......

if you paid by credit card, you could try to get your money back, but the services were provided, you ordered the item...... q.e.d.

none of this speaks to whether these charges and border regulations are fair or not--

my personal opinion-- take responsibility for your actions, man-up, and pay for the delivery.

YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back