If I like HD25-SP will I like ER-6i
Mar 25, 2006 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Linda513

New Head-Fier
Thanks to you guys I have a great pair of headphones, the Sennheiser HD25-SP. I'm really liking these, thank you very much!

Now I want to replace my E2c's. I've never like them, they are so uncomfortable and after listening to music and audiobooks with the HD25-SP I realize the E2c's sound like dog poo.

So I've been browsing the internet looking at iem's, and the ER-6i's seem to have good reviews and good looks. How about the comfort factor, are they an improvement over the E2c's. For those of you who have tried both and have found the E2c's uncomfortable are the ER-6i's more comfortable? I suppose this all depends on one's ear shape and iem's are probably made more for a man's ear than a woman's since men are the primary purchaser.

And how about the sound? If I like the sound of the HD25-SP will I like the sound of the ER-6i. Don't ask me what I like about the sound because I have no idea how to describe sound quality, bass levels, etc. That's a post for another time.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Don't bother shopping IEM brands in terms of "comfort factor" - you need to be happy with their sound. IMO the aforementioned Ety er-6i are the most cost-effective IEM purchase (and you will be surprised how much better they are with an amp, when you decide to make THAT purchase). Comfort? Call Ety Customer Service and explain to them how you wish your Ety would fit your ears differently, and you will be rewarded with some free samples of various types/sizes to try.......but, be aware that best comfort, regardless of brand is ultimately achieved via custom molds (audiologist) with your er-6i (or any other brand). If you find you're happy with the er-6i, then buy custom molds (fitting and mold outlay will be aprox $100-150) instead of extra tips.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 6
I haven't heard the E2's, but in terms of size, the Etymotics look like they're half the size. My Etymotics seem like they're made of mostly cable and tips. The "body" is tiny.

They are generally worn with the cords coming straight out of the ears, as opposed to several other brands' 'phones, which suggest routing the cord over the ear for a secure fit. I now use the low-tech, but more costly, foam tips and find them quite comfortable.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Definitely call Etymotics up and see if you can get samples of other eartips other than the ones that come with the phones....and also don't be afraid to try modding the tri-flanges also, sometimes trimming them can lead to better comfort.

I haven't heard the HD25's, but I suspect you'll find ER6i's a lot brighter/clearer sounding with a definite improvement in bass tightness compared to the E2

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 6
i find that the ER6i's sound quite similar to my ES7's now, the more i listen to my ES7's.

i think the bass on the ER6i's are perfect, i don't have the problem that i've read about some people saying it is non-existent. the only time i find myself hearing no-bass is when i'm using the foamies...apparently it seems alot of people love them, but i can't get them to fit well therefore it sounds very "trebly" (if that's a word) and bass does not exist. Wit the bi-flanges it sounds just perfect, very similar to my "currently burned-in" ES7's

the sound is very clear and the mids are very nice as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back