If I don't like the Audioengine A2+......
Jun 22, 2015 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

biggs1249

New Head-Fier
Hello. First time poster here. I recently bought the Audioengine A2+ due to all the great reviews out there. It was not for me. Besides the lack of bass and low mids, which is a problem for me, I also found the highs too bright and fatiguing with a lack of definition in the high mids. Because of this, I am not sure adding a sub will fix them for me.

My question is, if I don't like the A2+ will I like the a5+? Are the highs and mids better/different or is it just more bass? There are even more great reviews of the A5+ but my impression of the A2+ leaves me skeptical whether any Audioengine products are for me. Do you think I might change my mind if I add a sub to the A2+? Anything similar out there to look at? The system is for music only in a home gym. I am looking for the combination of small size, easy set up/ less wires to run (will wall mount and i just painted the room), and of course sound quality. I am a bass player, and like a decent about amount of bottom for the driving rock/funk kind of stuff I blast while working out. Would like the system to be under $600 but I could possibly stretch for the perfect fit. Any help or input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 9
The biggest enemy of a speaker is small size, of both the enclosure and the membranes.

Those two 2.75" woofers wont move much air so a steep and high roll-off is to be expected.
You can try to supplement with a subwoofer, but you will have to use such a high cross over frequency that it will be easy to localize it.

Most studio monitors will be good, even cheaper brands will have good performance, the main thing that gives them advantage over home speakers is that they have an active xo and amplifiers that are good matches for the speaker-elements.

So get big membranes and big boxes before you go to a expensive brand, at least that's my opinion.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 9
I have a pair of KRK Rokit 6's that I like but they are too big to mount on the wall. Is there a good middle ground size wise that I could easily mount on a wall? Any recommendations?

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 9
I agree with Snurt. You need speakers with larger drivers. I also think there are good alternatives to the A5+.

As far as adding a sub, sure. That's a good way to get deep bass. However, a couple of things to think about:

1) Unless you get a sub with a high pass filter built in, to properly integrate the sub with a pair of powered speakers, you'll typically set the low pass filter on the sub to the low frequency roll off of the speakers. So you would only be adding to the very low end. The speakers you buy would need to be good at the mid bass frequencies.

2) Sub bass (and even lower midbass) performance in a room is affected by room size, the volume of the room (not just the area). The bigger the room, the more bass SPL you need. How big is your home gym room, including any adjacent open areas. So the bigger the room, if you want good bass output, the bigger/more expensive sub you would need.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 9
Very happy with my Vanatoo T1.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the replies. The top of my list right now is LSR305s + SVS SB-1000. Great reviews on both items. The SVS has that high pass out which will make the setup Easy and avoid a mixer or anything. Hard to tell from pictures the size difference between the JBL and the KRKs but I can check out a store or order a pair and see for myself.

Other good 5" speakers to look at? Other subs with a high pass out? Otherwise I'll go this direction. I will check out the Vanatoo

Room is small. 8' x 12'

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Forget the small size and get a pair of Rokit 8's. I've had a pair for 3 years now and they are amazing. You can get the bass to shake the room and still have amazing clarity. They go for $500 a pair. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies. The top of my list right now is LSR305s + SVS SB-1000. Great reviews on both items. The SVS has that high pass out which will make the setup Easy and avoid a mixer or anything. Hard to tell from pictures the size difference between the JBL and the KRKs but I can check out a store or order a pair and see for myself.

Other good 5" speakers to look at? Other subs with a high pass out? Otherwise I'll go this direction. I will check out the Vanatoo

Room is small. 8' x 12'

If you want serious, heavy room shaking bass, the SVS PB-1000 has more output. The SB-1000 is very good, but it does not have as much max output as the PB-1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back