if i buy the JBL LSR305 for my laptop what do i need to buy more ?
Jun 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #16 of 44
you get more bang for your buck with an audio interface than you do with a "audiophile" dac as software companies such as protools or ableton actually subsidize the margins by bundling their "free" versions of recording software with them.  For example ableton want to sell you ableton live (recording software) so they bundle a "lite" version to package with the focusrite range in the hope they sell the full version later.  Because both hardware and software manufacturer are selling to the same customers they lock in brand loyalty so it makes sense for them both to cut margins as fine as possible to compete in the pro-audio world.  An audiophile DAC is selling to a niche market where people pay for "features" that make almost zero difference to the average consumer, yet people will pay a premium.  

A metaphore, audio VW and skoda all make pretty run of the mill cars from the same chasis' and are bought by most people, consider this the home hi-fi.
Then you get the audiophile comparison would be those buying the ferrari's or the porches, the pro audio market in this analogy would be a caterham super 7.  Its not the fastest or the most expensive but for the same money as a large family car you get performance 10% less than the Ferrari.

The question is where your budget fits, and what your desires are :D

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 44
almost forgot the questions, there are cheaper options just google audio interface and you will be given lots of research for you to do.

I will never tell someone what to buy, just what to think about and suggest areas to research.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 44
I have been searching.......
but I do need 4 outputs right ? 2 for the bottle head and 2 for the jbl ?
so the Scarlett 2i2 won't work ?

PreSonus AudioBox USB - have a headphone out, can I somehow connect the bottle head there ?:p not right ?

I can't seems to find any good cheap with 4 outputs except Scarlett
2i4.... but I don't really need the 2 inputs for mic and guitar, as I will only listen to music. also don't need the midi.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 44
You need the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. That has a set of balanced outputs (for your speakers) and unbalanced outputs (to run to your headphone amp).

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 44
with the scarlet  can you control the levels of powered speakers? with the volume control

and it doesn't have an amp does it?  is there a higher res version of something like this?

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #21 of 44
with the scarlet  can you control the levels of powered speakers? with the volume control

and it doesn't have an amp does it?  is there a higher res version of something like this?

I thought you were already set on the NFB-15. Are you waffling already? :)

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #23 of 44
The 10kOhm output rating is more suited attaching XLR balanced cables than an amplifier with a variable amplification. Also as already mentioned you can monitor your headphones through the port. Although I would say the headphone amplifier on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is not ideal for all high-impedance & low sensitivity headphones.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 44
  The 10kOhm output rating is more suited attaching XLR balanced cables than an amplifier with a variable amplification. Also as already mentioned you can monitor your headphones through the port. Although I would say the headphone amplifier on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is not ideal for all high-impedance & low sensitivity headphones.

i will not use the 2i4 for my headphones ....i just want the dac to my botthead crack for my headphones :p

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 44

Not good for low impedance, low sensitivity headphones either:

Output Impedance < 10Ω
Power Output into 150Ω 15mW
Power Output into 50Ω 30mW

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2/specifications

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #26 of 44
I read the information :

<12 Ohm output.
24mW into 32 Ohm

However to be fair at about 50-60% gain the headphone are comfortably loud with my AKG K702 (62Ohms/200mW max. input).

Others will get different mileage especially with other headphone drivers.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #28 of 44
I read the information :

<12 Ohm output.
24mW into 32 Ohm

However to be fair at about 50-60% gain the headphone are comfortably loud with my AKG K702 (62Ohms/200mW max. input).

Others will get different mileage especially with other headphone drivers.

Yep. Sorry. I mixed up the 2i2 and 2i4 specs, although notably they are not significantly different in terms of inspiring confidence in the powering capabilities of their amps.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #29 of 44
http://www.thomann.de/se/focusrite_scarlett_solo.htm

Might be a better choice IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back