If Head-Fi runs political ads can we discuss politics?
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
I know HF probably has no control over Google ad serving, but since the site has opened itself up to that lack of control and now running repeated Prop. 8 (California Repeal of Right of Marriage) ads at the moment (for some, likely geographically), do we have the blessing of the moderators to comment on at that issue? Seems weird to ban all political discussions (if civil rights can be labeled simply 'politics'), yet benefit from said controversy.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 25
Wasn't the other thread on this issue closed? Doesn't that answer the question?
smily_headphones1.gif

People can vote tomorrow (if they haven't already), and we ought to let that be the way for everyone to express themselves; otherwise it could get really ugly pretty quick.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 25
I want in
biggrin.gif
but no to political discussions

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 25
As a Google liker, it's disappointing Google would allow such charged, secular advertising. Wouldn't it be more important to go after Google themselves? Are the ads not "forced" on sites that use their adverting package? I'd love to pop off an email to them. X, got an insider email I can use?

What's next for them? Planned parenthood bashing, Brady bunch gun control fear mongering, biblical quotes against homosexuals.

If you have not seen it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/wh...ead-fi-377827/

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 25
If Head-Fi endorses political ads, then that would be hypocritical of them to not allow political discussions. That being said, I live in New York and I have not seen any political ads on this website. If I did see them, I would weigh in with my opinions. I hope Head-Fi never does something like this.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 25
I'm sure there are plenty more "happening" forum out there for political "debate", I don't see much need to turn this place into one of those warzone. If you need your share of "civil liberty" you can simply go to one of those places.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 25
It looks like google is sensing something out of the thread and the location of user. I feel like it shows political stuffs more often to the screen of those who lives in yellow states rather than that of those who lives in solid red/blue states.

I am seeing these presidential election ads quite frequently here in Head-fi, and I don't like them at all. My solution is simple. Waiting till the election is over is the one, and reading thread like "how many asians here in head-fi" is the other. The ad on top of that thread has faces of couple cute asian babes. Watching them is way better than watching politicians. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back