If burn-in is real, are there any manufacturers that sell pre-burned drivers?
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dongle

Head-Fier
I would think an audio-engineer would know definitively if burn-in were a real phenomena. They'd probably use laser beams to measure the distance a driver traveled right after manufacture and again after 100 hours of use as well as how the sound wave looks in something like a
 Bruel & Kjaer HATS Type 4128C at 0 hours vs 100 hours.

It seems to me if post-burn in were a valuable characteristic, high end manufactures would be using it as a selling point. Who knows? Maybe it's not... let's not assume by default that one "earns" something by letting sound play through their headphones for hours on end. It could very well be that low frequencies become more apparent as the driver stretches and loosens at the expense of high frequency resolution.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 17
I don't know that I would want an already burned in headphone. Sort of like a new pair of shoes that gets more comfortable the more you use it, I wouldn't want anyone else doing that for me. I like the idea of working my headphones in with my own listening habits. Some people might dig it though. 

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 17
My first headphone I bought was the Sony MDR-V6s.  They sounded really bad out of the box but after 4 days the sound quality picked up quite a bit.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 17
even for the highest end headphone's burn in at the factory would be one of the stupidest things manufacturers could do to loose their money... who will pay 50$ premium just because their headphone has been playing for a week non-stop? just think about it :)

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 17
I don't know any thing about the science of burn-in but I can tell you from experience that it makes a difference in sound quality, I just got my ps500's the first week they were really nice sounding by the third week they sounded awesome and I mean a lot better, So their must be something true about burn-in.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 17
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 17
It may even be a figment of my own imagination who really knows I guess. But it sure sounds real.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 17
if i remember correct the stax 009 run pink noise through them for a long time before shipping. It is done as quality control/final checkup to ensure nothing is wrong with the headphones before shipping them out. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Pro Audio Engineer here. Burn in is real.

!!

If you've some scientific proof of this, the science forum would love to hear from you.

I too, am an audio engineer, as are a lot of the members of the sound science sub-forum - we would absolutely love to hear from you. Come on over and start a thread! 

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 17
i think it depends on the gear you are using
i have the fxz 100, akg k271 mk ii and creative aurvana live. the sound for the CAL and akg didn't change over time but the fxz 100 had better control of the bass certainly after burned in for hundreds of hours.
it's something you have to experience yourself to believe i think.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #15 of 17
I know with the Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5, the pads are quite stiff. Over time (with lots of use) they become softer, and bring the drivers closer to your ears.

These are headphones that are said to "greatly benefit from burn-in". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back