IEMs with huge stage and holographic imaging
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

ChrisHeld1989

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, and girls of course. I'am searching for iems, that have a huge and massive stage and holographic three dimensional imaging. It must be some iems, where you can close your eyes while listening and you can "see" instruments floating around in a huge space. Left and right, back and forth, up and down and diagonal. The price doesn't matter. It can be anything from cheap to expensive. Please make a list. :)

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 72
ISines for sure

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 72
Check out the TRI I3 (with amping). One of the best stages in a closed backed IEM at $150ish USD. There are wider stages I've heard but the TRI I3 has very deep and tall soundstage.

Perhaps some open backed/vented IEMs can also have similar wide and tall stages, though they have penalties in isolation.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 72
Fidue Sirius

Jul 4, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #7 of 72
No contest here : IER M7 / M9. Imaging and layering are top class TOTL. Not particulary very wide, but they are on correct wide. But still wide of course, depth is exceptional.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 72
Campfire Solaris without question
Solaris is definitely up there for an iem. I would add 64 audio iems, though I have only heard two, but their Tia and tubeless designs really seem to help with soundstage. And the Sony ier z1r is top tier as well.

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 72
Solaris is definitely up there for an iem. I would add 64 audio iems, though I have only heard two, but their Tia and tubeless designs really seem to help with soundstage. And the Sony ier z1r is top tier as well.

The u12t is the only 64 IEM I have enough experience with to really have an opinion on but *I would say that the Solaris edges both it and the Z1R slightly when it comes to "holographic soundstage". My guess is that the tamer bass of the Solaris aids a bit in the "illusion of space".

*usual caveat that perception of sound is largely subjective and we're mostly splitting hairs here anyway.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 72
People have mentioned repeatedly that the Sony Z5's have the most expansive soundstage they have ever heard in an iem.

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 72
People have mentioned repeatedly that the Sony Z5's have the most expansive soundstage they have ever heard in an iem.

I'm not interested in people's "opinion"; more so by what YOU REALLY WANT TO SAY: Can the Z5 really do that? I can also call an owner to call "people" out on their bush-hat.

Modesty is your friend.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 72
Hi guys, and girls of course. I'am searching for iems, that have a huge and massive stage and holographic three dimensional imaging. It must be some iems, where you can close your eyes while listening and you can "see" instruments floating around in a huge space. Left and right, back and forth, up and down and diagonal. The price doesn't matter. It can be anything from cheap to expensive. Please make a list. :)
If price doesn't matter... Hands down the MMR Thummim offer the most uniquely large and spherical stage I have heard. It is unlike everything else I have come across. However, at $4,500 they are eye-wateringly expensive even among today's TOTL offerings.

Less extreme (though still at the very high end), you have DITA Dream XLS, which present a very spacious stage that feels completely immersive. FiR Audio does very well too with their tubeless design and Atom pressure relief module, which create a very spacious and natural feeling stage that effectively counters the occlusion effect. I have only heard the M4, but those went beyond the likes of the 64 Audio Trio and (from memory) the U12t, which are very good to begin with. The stage is positioned a bit more in front of you, rather than wrapping around you like the Thummim.

Further down in price I would say that (at 10% of the price of the Thummim) the Custom Art FIBAE Black have a very nice holographic feel to them. The stage wraps around your head and although not super large, really immerses you in the music. They are also some of the most musical IEMs I know.

Towards the entry level I would say that the Final E-series (I have heard the E2000, E4000 and E5000) is very good at generating a spacious feel due to their semi-open design.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 72
I'm not interested in people's "opinion"; more so by what YOU REALLY WANT TO SAY: Can the Z5 really do that? I can also call an owner to call "people" out on their bush-hat.

Modesty is your friend.
Point taken... I'll offer one of the z5's little brothers, Sony xba A3 then, as having exceptional soundstage from my personal experience as I own it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back