IEMs with $200 Budget
Dec 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 17
Hey TheEmpyre, just wondering what your take on the HF5 was.  I talked with Etymotic on their other offerings before, and they stressed that if I was used to the ER-4 then their lesser models would seem pale in comparison.  I've been thrilled with those Panasonics I mentioned, for bopping around town, watching movies at home, etc.  The Etys I use for longer trips and for all important sound isolation needs, and at home switching off with my AKGs.

BTW, in case I didn't mention it above I also listen primarily to melodic metal / death metal, and Vocal Trance.  Interspersed with pop or rock n' roll sometimes, and audio books.

Very sorry I didn't see this post sooner. One month later lol. Well I love the hf5s, they have been everything I hoped they would be. Getting used to the fit was the most difficult part, and I still haven't found a plug that fits perfectly, one ear is always different than the other unfortunately. The sound is excellent for my needs, great highs and mids, hearing things in music I never knew were there! The bass of course is lacking, but I knew that going in and that's not why I bought these. The bass is plenty for what I listen to and even isn't bad for trance, I like hearing the synthesizer better than the bass anyways! And for $100 can't beat it. Sound isolation also excellent, would be better with a perfect fit of course

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #17 of 17
Hey TheEmpyre,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been on vacation.

Etymotic has several styles and sizes of ear plug.  I think 6 in total:  3 felt, 1 glider and 2 triple-flanged rubber.  So you can get on their website and take a look at what other ear plugs you might use with your HF5s.  If you call them, they are really helpful and you get through to a human pretty fast.

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/hf.html

In addition, the ER-4 I've had for 10 years now is a little light in the bass, of course, but only if you run it straight out of a phone or iPod.  If you use a good pocket amp, like the Mont Blanc or my personal fav the BSG CMoy, which is hand built to your headphones and doesn't cost much at all.  Of all the pocket amps I've ever used, and there were many, none have ever beat it and they make my Etys really rock.  Not to mention, they cost about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of most other pocket amps I've owned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biosciencegeek-Headphone-Amplifier-cMOY-Premium-Amp-NEW-FEATURES-/141510231354?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f2aac53a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back