IEMs vs. closed headphones
Sep 8, 2011 at 8:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ande2

New Head-Fier
I would need some new headphones for use in the office. Because of the office use they have to be closed or IEMs.

Portability is not an issue here. I will probably only use them at work.

What do you think should I go with for example Shure 215 IEMs or start to look for some closed headphones in that price range or a bit above (max ~50$ over) Which would deliver better sound quality ini general, closed or IEMs.

I looked at some closed headphones like AKG 272HD, AKG 450/540,  Shure 440, Senn PX360, Senn HD448, Beyer DT235 or something in that pricerange.

I will be listening through a laptop with an uDAC2 between.

What do you think will give me the best audio experience? I don´t want to spend more money here because I will anyway use some better open headphones at home. The biggest problem is that almost none of the hifi stores here have closed headphones in their listening rooms.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 15
I would like to pick the Beyer DT235 as I have tried one out today, good mids, highs with enough bass. Had a fair bit of fun and they are also pretty light weigh and comfy which would be great for your office. 

To be honest, I do not like in-ears especially because if someone talks to me, it is a hassle to pull it out without damaging my ear drums(because i wear them like ear plugs so they are all the way into my ear canal)

Sep 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
To be honest, I do not like in-ears especially because if someone talks to me, it is a hassle to pull it out without damaging my ear drums(because i wear them like ear plugs so they are all the way into my ear canal)

Can pulling out your IEMS damage your Ear Drums ? , just wondering ..

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 15
i would go for closed full size headphones, they just feel so much purer. If you don't need to move with them at all, you really gain a lot of bass that just isn't really possible with low-mid range ear-buds. And no matter what people tell you, ear buds will always become uncomfortable after a certain amount of time.

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 15
Closed headphones will give you a better sound for your money, but I usually choose IEMs over headphones because they are more comfortable, and in case you do ever want to use them outside, it is much easier. I also find them easier to sell.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
i dont think they do damage

just be careful i guess?

I'm not trolling, but how will pulling IEMs out from your ear damage your ear drums? I thought only listening at high volumes cause damage to the ear drums.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I'm not trolling, but how will pulling IEMs out from your ear damage your ear drums? I thought only listening at high volumes cause damage to the ear drums.
confused_face_2.gif

I think the idea is that if they form a tight enough seal, pulling them out too quickly might generate enough suction to damage something. I've experienced some discomfort before from doing this.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 15
I think the idea is that if they form a tight enough seal, pulling them out too quickly might generate enough suction to damage something. I've experienced some discomfort before from doing this.

Hey, thanks for shedding some light on the issue! I never really thought of it that way before, but now I will be real careful so as not to yank my IEMs out. :wink:

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 15

Thats what I'm worried about, especially with some in-ears like those from Klipsh with the noise isolating design. The thing that caused my worries is mainly that warning on packages for ear protection when I'm doing engine work which teach me how to wear in-ears but warn to take them out carefully by twisting them till the seal releases or you might damage your eardrums.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back