IEMs to shine with female vocals
Dec 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

edvardd

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, Im looking for a pair of earphones that shines with female vocals, that captures the heart of their voice. Ofcourse this varies since they all sing at a different pitch. But you get the idea. Im listening to artists like Emilia Torrini, Laura Veirs and Regina spektor.

Basically the earphones should be able to substitue a living girlfriends lovely voice. Joking aside, there should be a sense of realistic presence in the tonal presentation. Would I perhaps have to sacrifice a wider soundstage and transparancy to achieve that? My understanding is that this presence is related to a fullness in the midrange, which makes the sound feel closer.

In the "Describing sound" thread i read that "female voices and violins are full around 250 Hz". I don't if that is what I am looking for. Perhaps I should call my ex girlfriend just to hear her voice? :)

I have been looking on Hifiman RE262 and Ortofon e-q7. Am I looking in the right direction?.350 $ is a maximum.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 61

Quote:
As the title says, Im looking for a pair of earphones that shines with female vocals, that captures the heart of their voice. Ofcourse this varies since they all sing at a different pitch. But you get the idea. Im listening to artists like Emilia Torrini, Laura Veirs and Regina spektor.

Basically the earphones should be able to substitue a living girlfriends lovely voice. Joking aside, there should be a sense of realistic presence in the tonal presentation. Would I perhaps have to sacrifice a wider soundstage and transparancy to achieve that? My understanding is that this presence is related to a fullness in the midrange, which makes the sound feel closer.

In the "Describing sound" thread i read that "female voices and violins are full around 250 Hz". I don't if that is what I am looking for. Perhaps I should call my ex girlfriend just to hear her voice? :)

I have been looking on Hifiman RE262 and Ortofon e-q7. Am I looking in the right direction?.350 $ is a maximum.

from the phones I have heard, I think the westone 3's really shine with female vocals, they seem fuller and more powerful than when heard through other phones. the 262's have a very high impedance (150ohms?) and apparently they need to be driven with a amp.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 61
Of what I've heard so far, the Final Audio FI-BA-A1's and to a slightly lesser extent the Audio Technica CK90Pros really shine with female vocals. They are extremely clean with a clear and smooth tone, but have enough body to the sound so that everything from icepick vocals like Bjork's to sultry female jazz singers are catered for. The A1's in particular are able to convey great emotion, though the 90Pros are a little more balanced and technical - immense speed being their strong point.

Considering that the A1's also convey the most startlingly vivid presentation of violins that I have heard thus far out of an IEM (they appear almost out of blackness and every bowing of the strings bites and gives me the shivers) there must be something in it regarding the 250hz frequency.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 61
Between RE262 and the e-Q7 I would choose e-Q7 over the RE262 without any hesitation for female vocals. They have great transparency and a good sound stage so nothing to sacrifice there. The thing with them is that smaller ears may suffer with their larger housing

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 61
SE530 has the most natural sound, including vocals I've ever heard in headphones, but you just won't hear it without a perfect fit. I would get e-Q7, since the fit is much more stable than with SE530 and they will always sound good. SE530 sounds better with a perfect fit, but may sound horrible with a bad one, while e-Q7 always sound acceptable, no matter how you put them in your ears.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 61
e-Q7 and female vocals = heaven.
biggrin.gif
  ummm,Hayley!

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 61
I ended up buying RE262. not sure if its the best for female vocals but I just wanted to know your opinion about that. while on the vocal subject, do you have any favorite iems for male vocals? when I think about I listen to more male vocals. I sing myself and my singing teacher has some records. with my radius DDM, I like how his voice feels like it has a "body" compared to my other cheaper iems. in general its very low pitched singing(indian classical singing) and thats the range where DDM shines. It will be interesting to compare with RE262.

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 61
 I Love my RE-262s for female vocals. The midrange and vocal performance on the RE-262 is unlike anything I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back