IEM's that make vocals sound like they're coming from the heart for under $250? (Contemplating HiFiMan RE-262)
Oct 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

gopanthersgo1

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that make vocals sound great, because with my JVC HA-S500, AND Monoprice 8320's (Please note that my AKG K702's never did this before I sold them), when I'm listening to a song, the vocals sound far away, and shouty, so in a song where you're supposed to just feel what the singer is saying, you really just can't get into the song. For that reason and the fact I prefer IEM's, I'm going to sell my JVC's for some money, and use my birthday money to get a nice pair of IEM's where I can really get into the song. I would also prefer a kind of light, well controlled bass with a decent amount of kick (the K702's were sufficient, but I could use a little more), and treble that's not overly bright and fatiguing or overpowering. Can some people help me figure out what to get?

EDIT: I like over the ear cabling, and it needs to be comfy, have semi-textured bass, and a decent soundstage (Not all in you head)

I know not all my requirements are going to be in an IEM for this price range, or maybe not even in any IEM period.

Thank you in advance for all the help I will get from the great people that help me out on this addicting yet amazing forum!

-Mark

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 17
BUMP

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 17
Oh, 2 more things, I like over the ear cabling, and it needs to be comfy.

EDIT: I also need a decent soundstage, and textured bass

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't love the vocal presentation of the SM3, so I'd assume it's similar for the SM2 -- it's a bit of an acquired taste. You might like it though.

For me, I love the mid-forwardness of the UM3x -- it's a bit out of your budget but you can find it used for about $250. They're pretty much right up your alley -- mid-centered, slightly dark, smooth treble, over-the-ear, very comfortable. The soundstage isn't the largest though, certainly smaller than the AKGs you've been using.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 17
I don't love the vocal presentation of the SM3, so I'd assume it's similar for the SM2 -- it's a bit of an acquired taste. You might like it though.

For me, I love the mid-forwardness of the UM3x -- it's a bit out of your budget but you can find it used for about $250. They're pretty much right up your alley -- mid-centered, slightly dark, smooth treble, over-the-ear, very comfortable. The soundstage isn't the largest though, certainly smaller than the AKGs you've been using.

Thanks, what brand is it though? nevermind, I found it.

EDIT: The soundstage isn't that big of an issue. (other people, don't flame me :p)

2nd EDIT: Is the cable removable? Not a big concern, but would like to know.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
Thanks, what brand is it though? nevermind, I found it.
EDIT: The soundstage isn't that big of an issue. (other people, don't flame me
tongue.gif
)
2nd EDIT: Is the cable removable? Not a big concern, but would like to know.

There's a removable cable version. Sounds like the UM3x might be the right choice for you. A Shure IEM might also be a good choice, you can look at those too.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 17
There's a removable cable version. Sounds like the UM3x might be the right choice for you. A Shure IEM might also be a good choice, you can look at those too.

So right now I'm looking at the Westone UM3x and the Shures look expensive.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 17
UM3X is a good choice but the less expensive UM2 is better if you are talking just vocals.  One of the most under-rated IEM's on the market. 

I'm also looking at decent treble, and tight bass (the AKGs were PERFECT to me), not just vocals, but thanks!

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 17
I found some Shure SE530's, for $215, should I get them?

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 17
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 17
OK, I decided no go on the Shure SE530's

Oct 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 17
So do I find a pair of SE535's or UM3X?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back