IEMs that are most similar to B&W P7
May 5, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 62
Straight from a smartphone the P7 mids sit more forward in the mix than PFE 232. Also PFE 232 treble has more presence in the mix but it sounds thinner. With a decent dac / amp the PFE 232 mids come to the fore, the treble is controlled and it becomes a more balanced IEM. For price / performance ratio probably better scouring one of the lower models in the Phonak range. But then as they have exited the IEM game, getting filters will be bothersome

As an ex-6 year owner of the UM2, I want to like Westone but their current lineup is not to my taste. Too closed in and not enough extension or clarity. Not my nomination for P7 similarity

May 6, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #47 of 62
Or just buy an IEM better than the P7's, the Dunu DN-1000's for under $200.

May 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #48 of 62
Or just buy an IEM better than the P7's, the Dunu DN-1000's for under $200.

I'm not 100% sure this is true. I'll have to do a full AB of these two when I have time this week. Just from memory, the 1000's treble is nowhere near that of the P7.

May 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #49 of 62
Nice..that would be really interesting. Please share your thoughts after AB'ing.

May 31, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #50 of 62
Spot on with the search I was just going for.  I have been running P7's at work for 6 months plus and just love them.  I have HD650's that I'm still trying to find the perfect match to make them really blow the P7's away.  To my ears, the P7 is just perfect.  I've tried lots of others and every time returned the contender in short order.  I had a pair of C5's before the P7's and while I LOVED the sound, the cutout for the cable was cutting into my ear.  Now I'm ready to give those another shot and just look for something to put on that area to keep it from hurting my ear.  I just want an IEM at my nightstand I can use in bed after the wife goes to bed.  I don't like getting my P7's in and out of my work bag every night and risking going through a workday without them. *gasp*

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #51 of 62
I just got my second pair of C5s as I was looking for something to compliment my P7s. Previously I tried the C5 before I got the P7. I've now used the P7 daily for 8 months and love them. I liked the C5 the first time but found them uncomfortable and wanted an over ear as my main desktop set for work. Now I wanted an IEM to round out my set; open, closed and IEM. I really enjoy the sound of the C5 but, man, it is finicky to fit just right to hit that sweet spot. When you do, it's EXACTLY what I'm after.i have the largest tips in and like others have said, you have to pop the seal after it is made or they just sound horrible. My main comfort issue is the cut for the cable hurts my front ear lobe (whatever it's called). I'm going to get some poster putty at lunch and see if a dab if that will fix that problem. I really want to love these. Just have to figure out an easier way to get the fit and comfort right. I find that grabbing the driver and twisting it slightly while pushing the wire up into my ear helps push them into the best sounding position. B&W definitely has the tuning I'm after!

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #52 of 62
I've had the C5 now for 3 months (an eternity for me!) and couldn't agree more. They are finicky, indeed, but when you get the right seal (and not a complete one) they are quite exceptional and vey much akin to the P7 in a lot of ways. Besides having to play around with the fit from time-to-time, my only real complaints are that they don't isolate very well (I commute on a subway and this find myself having to pause my podcasts as the train arrives), and the stupid cable. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #53 of 62
I switched out the tips on mine to Comply TS-400's and LOVE the C5's.  I use them as much as my P7's now.  I'm a bit of a basehead and the C5's extra punch is great with certain genre's.  The trick I have found is to push and roll the comply back towards the driver gently, then roll it in your fingers to compress it.  Then stuff it in your ear and get it comfortable and let the foam expand.  It makes the perfect seal and no longer moves around in your ear.  This setup is just perfect in my opinion!

Aug 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #54 of 62
I am thinking of picking up a pair of the Comply TS-400 for my C5's after some of the reviews but not sure what size I need.

I find the stock C5 tips fit my ear fine, what size are they (small, medium, large)? 

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #55 of 62
  I am thinking of picking up a pair of the Comply TS-400 for my C5's after some of the reviews but not sure what size I need.

I find the stock C5 tips fit my ear fine, what size are they (small, medium, large)? 

Stock is medium.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #56 of 62
Ditto. I also preferred the stock tips and have just replaced them with medium comply tips. I only wish I did it sooner. They are a bit more comfortable (never thought the stock were uncomfortable) and a lot more secure. 

I'm now on my second pair, actually. I unfortunately left my original pair on a plane. I think, in a small way, it's a statement to how good these sound that I didn't use the opportunity to buy another model.

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #57 of 62
Another note on the C5s. I liked the included pouch, but it was too tight and deformed the stiff part of the wire if you stored them for a long time. I now carry my C5s in an Altoid tin with a couple extra pairs of comply tips. I wrap a rubber band around it just to be safe. It's the perfect size though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back