IEMs that are most similar to B&W P7
Apr 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #31 of 62
  btw, I don't dislike the W40 sound, just if I was buying another pair, would like just a wee bit less upper-bass and more treble bite. Not sure if that equates to less warmth?

If you use iOS, then I think you can try to tune this via Westone's new BBE app ($3).

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #32 of 62
  Custom cable might help to lessen the warmth by speed things up a little, but in general Westone tune their IEMs towards the warm side, so you might want to try the SE535LTD instead.

What cable would you recommend for the W40?

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #33 of 62
  If you use iOS, then I think you can try to tune this via Westone's new BBE app ($3).

Not anymore, now I have a DX90 and X5.   iPhone only used in a Logitech dock when I have a bath!

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #34 of 62

Not anymore, now I have a DX90 and X5.   iPhone only used in a Logitech dock when I have a bath!

Other than cables, you might able to fix this by using a high impedance adapter then amp it.  However, I still think you should try the SE535LTD as I believe it will be more to your liking.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #35 of 62
  Other than cables, you might able to fix this by using a high impedance adapter then amp it.  However, I still think you should try the SE535LTD as I believe it will be more to your liking.

Not looking to amp thanks, I've come into this at just the right time when amps are not essential anymore. My serious listening is X5 digital into my Rega DAC and Tag McLaren Processor and PMC speakers. That does sound nice. X5 is a great transport.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 62
  btw, I don't dislike the W40 sound, just if I was buying another pair, would like just a wee bit less upper-bass and more treble bite. Not sure if that equates to less warmth?

Can't you just fix that with an EQ? Would be a waste of money imo if it can be fixed like that.

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #37 of 62
  Can't you just fix that with an EQ? Would be a waste of money imo if it can be fixed like that.

Nothing to fix, as I said, I love the W40s (except the cracked housing!). I'm just thinking when I buy a second IEM, I just want something a little different.

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #38 of 62
  I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I have a pair of B&W P7 that I absolutely love.

Vinnie, starting to really like P7s now, so I'm with you in that my next IEM needs to sound very similar :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #39 of 62

Vinnie, starting to really like P7s now, so I'm with you in that my next IEM needs to sound very similar :)

Right? I took my pair home and gave them another hour or two... just closed my listing. Sure, they're not the best in the world, but I like how they do what they do. I am curious to hear the UE900s in comparison to the P7, but will wait until I can get them locally or from on online site with a generous return policy. In the meantime, I'm starting to enjoy the C5 (with the stock tips, believe it or not).  

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 62
  Nice to hear from you, vinnievidi! This may or may not be helpful at all. I'm going to commit the cardinal sin of headfi. I've never heard the P7, but I've heard it described as more of a W signature than a V. Today, I was looking at how the SM64 is described by earsonics. The sound signature is at the bottom of the page: http://www.earsonics.com/en/audiophiles-earphones/sm64/ I've never heard the P7 or the SM64 but when I saw how they described the sound signature I thought of you and your P7. Maybe its worth exploring...

Hey imackler, so good to see you around here. No worries, if there was a confessional booth for Head-Fi, I'd be in there twice a week! First, I have to say that I really like how EarSonics visualizes the sound signature. I will have to go back and listen to the P7 with that in mind, to sketch out my own and see how it compares. I'll have to do more research on the SM64. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #41 of 62

I would second trying the SE535LTD. I sometimes regret selling mine. From my experience, they have a bit more sparkle at the top than the SE535, which serves to balance out the mids slightly. Out of my home receiver, they had oodles of bass and were a lot more punchy/alive (relatively) than when driven from my iPhone. If I remember correctly, that's why I sold them.

May 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #42 of 62
Try the Audeo PFE-232's. They are pretty similar to the P7's by themselves and very similar when amped.

May 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #43 of 62
  Try the Audeo PFE-232's. They are pretty similar to the P7's by themselves and very similar when amped.

I'll agree with this up to the treble...  The 232 are very similar to the P7 in terms of bass and mids...  The treble is quite hot though :p 

May 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #44 of 62
IMO I remember the treble in the P7's to be a tad hotter (I can't be 100% sure). But considering they are very similar in terms of the bass and midrange; these are as far as I know, the closest things to an IEM similar to the P7's,

May 4, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #45 of 62
  IMO I remember the treble in the P7's to be a tad hotter (I can't be 100% sure). But considering they are very similar in terms of the bass and midrange; these are as far as I know, the closest things to an IEM similar to the P7's,

I don't find the P7's treble to be hot.  Compared to something like the NAD HP50, whose treble is actually attenuated and controlled a bit (much for my tastes), it is hotter.  But compared to something like the AKG K545, they are not that hot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back