IEMs that are most similar to B&W P7
Apr 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

vinnievidi

500+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I have a pair of B&W P7 that I absolutely love. By and away, they are my favorite closed headphones. Unfortunately, I can't really wear full-sized headphones at work anymore, so what I'm looking for now is a pair of IEMs that have a similar sound signature. Does anyone know where I should start looking? Does anyone have experience with the P7 and can share their thoughts? I should add that I am not entirely interested in customs IEMs if they can be avoided.

Thanks a million,

VV

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 62
Hi again. No luck so far. I purchased the W40 on a whim but they seem to be lacking in space and airiness when compared to the P7. I know that trying to match a pair of IEMs to full-sized closed cans is in many ways like apples to oranges, but I can't imagine that there's not something comparable, something that hits most marks.   

Thanks again

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 62
Ha, I have W40 and probably buying P7 tomorrow, hoping for a similar sound! Had a brief demo of P7 on Friday along with five other cans and they were my favoured.

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 62
ah, wise choice. I have my P7 for sale but am starting to think I should keep them for home use (will probably just end up buying another pair down the line, so why create the hassle). Not to make this a W40 thread, but how do you like them? I have to admit, I'm on the fence about them. Most of the time I feel pretty underwhelmed. I like the clarity, but the mid-bass is a bit too much for me. For non-jazz or classical, it kind of makes things sound sluggish, especially at low volumes. I will most likely return them this week. Not that I'm a fanboy at all, but it's too bad B&W hasn't released a C7 or something like that to complement the P7.

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 62
I found a little slower and too bassy with comply tips I used but returned to silicone and really like them. I was able to demo before buying and have now returned to sound i liked at testing.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 62
A couple of us at the office pooled our headphones together to see which would be closest to the P7. The aim was to try to find a similar sound signature and set me in the right direction. We had on hand the following: Westone W40, UE 600vi, Apple Ear Pods, Bose QuiteComfort 15, Beats Studio, Sony MDR-ZX300, and Sennheiser HD203. Of the aforementioned, the Ultimate Ears 600vi seemed to be closest. They are not identical, not by a long shot, but appeared to have the closest sound signature. Again, this is only compared to the list above. 

I know this wasn't an extensive research project or comparative study like you find on some threads, but it was interesting (and fun) to hear the differences. It does make me think that if I can't find something that would be an IEM version of the P7, I should be open to something that has a similar signature to the UE 600vi but with the clarity of the W40.  

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 62
  A couple of us at the office pooled our headphones together to see which would be closest to the P7. The aim was to try to find a similar sound signature and set me in the right direction. We had on hand the following: Westone W40, UE 600vi, Apple Ear Pods, Bose QuiteComfort 15, Beats Studio, Sony MDR-ZX300, and Sennheiser HD203. Of the aforementioned, the Ultimate Ears 600vi seemed to be closest. They are not identical, not by a long shot, but appeared to have the closest sound signature. Again, this is only compared to the list above. 

I know this wasn't an extensive research project or comparative study like you find on some threads, but it was interesting (and fun) to hear the differences. It does make me think that if I can't find something that would be an IEM version of the P7, I should be open to something that has a similar signature to the UE 600vi but with the clarity of the W40.  

If the W40 sounds anything like the W4, clarity isn't its strongest suit... 

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 62
Truthfully from memory (it has been a long time since I tried the W4), the W40 are a bit different than the W4 and, I don't know, it's possible that they're clearer sounding. Though, it could be the company the W40 were in during the testing. I mean, that isn't the most resolved group. But to be fair, when we tamed the mid-bass with some eq, the W40 felt clearer than the SE425. 

Out of impulse, I picked up a pair of C5 this morning to see how they compare to the P7. They don't really -- comparatively, my first thought was that they're bass-monsters -- but they're not too shabby. I'll have to listen to them some more before forming a decision. Oh, I returned the W40. I just couldn't get into them.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 62
Bought the P7, initially sound too bassy and relieved to go back to W40s for clarity!

But had p7s burning in all night because that's certainly not the sound I demoed in shop, and I think upper muddy bass already starting to go. Did yours need a long burn-in?

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 62
I don't know if it was burn in or just acclimation, but it took a couple days to the sound that I've come to really appreciate. Though, seeing as you liked the demo set, maybe there's something to burning them in. I'm curious to hear your thoughts after a couple days with them. As for being too bassy, I find that with a very tight seal they can have somewhat dominant bass on certain recordings, but if I loosen the fit just a hair, it lightens up (and tightens up) tremendously. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 62

If the W40 sounds anything like the W4, clarity isn't its strongest suit... 

Yes, the W40 or W4/4R is the wrong way to go.  B&W sound signature is more of a V, so I suggest you get a pair of the Logitech UE900s (not the old UE900).

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 62

Yes, the W40 or W4/4R is the wrong way to go.  B&W sound signature is more of a V, so I suggest you get a pair of the Logitech UE900s (not the old UE900).

The C5 is a v-shape...  I really don't hear the P7 as a v...  Also, the UE 900s have been described by many as a mid-focused IEM...  The bass isn't even close to enough to be v-shaped. It's got quick decay and isn't that large in quantity, though it does have good depth. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #14 of 62

The C5 is a v-shape...  I really don't hear the P7 as a v...  Also, the UE 900s have been described by many as a mid-focused IEM...  The bass isn't even close to enough to be v-shaped. It's got quick decay and isn't that large in quantity, though it does have good depth. 

I think we argued about this before so I won't go there, and I am talking about the newly revised UE900s and not the old version, but I think we can agree that the W40/4/4R is the wrong match with the P7.  There are load of choices for the sub $500 range, just don't get something described as neutral or warm and the OP should do fine.

p.s. the C5 sound is highly dependent on fit and seal, and the stock tips won't cut it.  This is a pair of IEMs that getting the Comply Foam tip is a must.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 62
  I think we argued about this before so I won't go there, and I am talking about the newly revised UE900s and not the old version, but I think we can agree that the W40/4/4R is the wrong match with the P7.  There are load of choices for the sub $500 range, just don't get something described as neutral or warm and the OP should do fine.

p.s. the C5 sound is highly dependent on fit and seal, and the stock tips won't cut it.  This is a pair of IEMs that getting the Comply Foam tip is a must.

They retuned the UE 900?  Was this confirmed by measurement by any chance?  After the W40/W4, I don't trust what the CS reps say...  LOL. 

Nevermind...  Looked at the UE 900 thread... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back