1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

IEM's similar to/to replace Panasonic RP-HJE900-K

1. II J1M1 II
    Hi to all, I'm new to the forum and so this is my first post. I've been a lurker for a couple of years, and used this site as the 'go to' place for any audio/hi-fi needs. I bought my first pair of what I would consider quality IEM's on the reviews/descriptions on this website, which were a pair of Panasonic HJE900's.

Now I loved these earphones, they look great, good build quality, well made cable etc etc, But most importantly i loved the sound of these earphones. Now i've bought two pairs of these earphones, spending £90 (about $150) and £65 ($110) from Amazon UK respectively, both times the drivers have started to cut out and then failed on me, despite this I would still purchase another pair if they hadn't been discontinued and I could find some for sale in the UK. I'm definitely no audiophile and these are the only pair of 'decent' earphones i've owned, so I have no real comparison/experience of other IEM's (except a brief listen of my friends Hi-Fi Man Re0's), but I do love listening to music, so I apologise for any contradictions I make when describing the sound i'm looking for.

First of all I think it would be best if I outlined my musical tastes, which may provide an explanation for my preference of IEM qualities/sound and may help in your advice? I predominantly listen to a lot of Electronic Dance Music, consisting of Trance/Progressive House/Euro dance/pop (Armin van buuren/Ferry corsten/Deadmau5/Pryda etc), obviously placing emphasis on bass and detailed/sparkling highs? 

Now despite having no experience of other quality IEM's, I feel like the HJE900's are probably the best suited IEM's for my tastes. First of all I wouldn't consider myself a basshead, but I would consider less bass than the pana's to be a bit bass light for my tastes, I Listened to my friends Hi-Fi man RE0's, of which I liked the clarity/detail, but for what I consider the complete lack of bass just ruined the sound for me, I suppose I'm looking for phones that have punchy/tight/detailed bass, due to the fast pace of EDM they will need good bass response/clarity (non muddy)? Secondly as stated they will need good/great clarity in the highs/treble. High female vocals are quite prevalent as well as high synthesized electronic sounds. For the past few months i've used the soundmagic e10's (until they just packed up) which I think sound generally good (I Like the bass), but I found that some of the high sounds/nuances in EDM are either muddled in comparison to the panas or simply are lost and cannot be heard at all! I would say that i'm looking for a warm/musical sound as opposed to a cold/analytical one.

I would be extremely grateful if you guys could listen to a couple of songs, that sum up my musical tastes really, a quick copy and paste into Youtube job, they will probably give you guys a far better idea of the sort of qualities I will need in a pair of phones and the sort of music I need to sound 'great'.

"Velvetine - Safe (wherever you are) (Rank 1 Remix)"
    "Three drives - Greece 2000"

I'm looking to spend a maximum of about £90 ($150)

A few phones I have been looking at/are in my price range are: Shure SE215 Blue edition (£96.00/$162), Hi-fi man re-400 (£79.50/$134), , Brainwavz B2 (£89.50/$151) and Klipsch image x10 (£89.99/$152). There are others i've considered but the problem is getting hold of them in the UK.

James :)