IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,791 of 2,837
Dec 18, 2009

Quote:
Here are my SE530s.

Pictures aren't the best... clear isn't the easiest color to focus on.

DSC_0019.jpg

June 7, 2013

SE530 Re-shell # 121109

It has been quite some time since I purchased the re-shell of my se530s. And it is probably one of the best electronic investments I have ever made. They have survived 4 years of undergrad education(stuffed into my backpack and used almost every day). About 20% of the usage of these headphones is when I would be sweating in 90+ degree weather. I cannot even comprehend the amount of hours I have put through these guys while traveling and during study hours. Since Aug 2012 I use them every M-F for 4 hours, and they are still sounding great.

Issues:
1. Broken wire prong about two years ago. (Fixed with new wires.)
2. Late 2011 the face/cap has been pulled off one one of the units. I used some super glue and it's barely holding on.
3. The clear color isn't the clearest anymore; It definitely has a yellow tint now.
4. Related to #1, as of 2013, I have to make sure the connection between the wire and unit is nice and snug, if not = no sound.

Overall, I am extremely happy that I found this thread in 2009 and I really can't imagine how I would have enjoyed my music and life without these headphones. They have definitely allowed me to keep my sanity in the most boring of times. The biggest problem with these headphones is that no-one else can experience the comfort and amazing sound I get to experience every day. However, now I cannot wait to retire these guys and purchase a new set of IEMs and put them to the test.

Original SE530 - $175 (eBay, 2006/7)
Fisher Re-shell - $120 (Dec 2009)
New wire -          $20 or 30 (2011)
    Total - $315

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #2,792 of 2,837
Congratulations.

I still haven't been able to get customs done to a satisfactory degree even though I have tried two others as well as fisher.  So it's my right ear that seems to defeat them (though ce have been fantastic going above and beyond).  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone's been reading through and got put off by my posts at the time.  Fisher were never less than courteous in dealing with me.

The current thinking is that it's the thickness of my right ears muscle wall that stuffs the fit and makes it harder than average to do.  Wish I'd known that back in the day, could have saved me a few quid on postage!

Cheers

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,793 of 2,837
Quote:
Congratulations.

I still haven't been able to get customs done to a satisfactory degree even though I have tried two others as well as fisher.  So it's my right ear that seems to defeat them (though ce have been fantastic going above and beyond).  Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone's been reading through and got put off by my posts at the time.  Fisher were never less than courteous in dealing with me.

The current thinking is that it's the thickness of my right ears muscle wall that stuffs the fit and makes it harder than average to do.  Wish I'd known that back in the day, could have saved me a few quid on postage!

Cheers

I guess its time to do what a TRUE Audiophile would do. A right ear transplant.

Sep 15, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,795 of 2,837
I've been tossing the idea around of having one of my headphones reshelled and I'm curious if anyone here has had any experience with reshelling the MEElectronics A151. I did a quick search, doesn't seem to be any mention here in the thread. I found one other within head-fi who mentioned reshelling the A151.

And on a related question, would they be able to reshell a dual BA, like the new MEE M-Duo? I wonder if that would be possible without incurring too much extra cost.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2,796 of 2,837
So, all in all, would you guys recommend Fisher Audio or Unique Melody? I hate the UM turnaround time (10 weeks, seriously??), but if there is a big quality difference, I may consider it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
-J

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #2,797 of 2,837
  So, all in all, would you guys recommend Fisher Audio or Unique Melody? I hate the UM turnaround time (10 weeks, seriously??), but if there is a big quality difference, I may consider it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
-J

Its hard to say really but you are asking in a Fisher thread, which usually isnt a good place to get un-partial info nor a good place for someone to critique a vendors work. That said I dont think this is their official thread and this isnt in the vendor section so Ill give you my experience. Ive had good luck here with InEarz. Both my customs are pretty much bubble free and have been working a long long time. Kaysen has been incredible with the service when using the telephone. Turn time is fast.

I was at a meet and had some UM customs in my hand. They were shiny and beautiful. More shiny and beautiful than the ones I got from InEarz. When I went back to my audiologist I noticed she had a buffing wheel. She buffed them up for me and they turned out every bit as shiny and beautiful.

Some people have had issues with InEarz. What I would say is that if you want something complicated done like adding drivers or special tuning Id go with UM. If you have a straight shell job you want done Id go InEarz myself. The refits are a million times easier if you are in the States. Re-fits are common with customs no matter how you shake it. You may get lucky but you likely will not. And of course it depends where you are located, for all I know you are in South Africa because for whatever reason you are not sharing your location.

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #2,799 of 2,837
Its very highly likely to have to have a refit regardless of who you have make them. Thats just the nature of the beast. Either place you have make them is far away from you. These are fit to your individual ear to a very tight tolerance. Its not feasible to think they can custom fit something for you from thousands of miles away without any issue at all. My second set was a little off, I took them to my audiologist and she adjusted them for me. We literally took them in and out of my ears no less than 15 times before they were exactly how I wanted. Its possible your audiologist could do the same but many people have reported uncooperative audiologists so I wouldn't count on that. Be prepared for a refit even if you are paying $1,000+ for the highest of the high end.

Sep 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,801 of 2,837
Latest pricing from Fisher/Inearz Audio: From stock buds - $95.00, From already customized buds - $150.00, 2nd day shipping - $16.50, Colors - $35.00, With their cable - $35.00. So basically if you buy someones custom IEM's, to get them re-shelled your lookin at $150.00, if ya gotta have color $35.00 and ya want 2nd day shipping $16.50( min is $9.50 for ground) useing your own cables, duh, your min is $159.50 for clear to  $201.50 for colored with 2nd Day shipping! So they arnt as cheap as the rumor seems to be. InearCustom can do the same thing for easily $50 to $75 less, and they did a great job on mine.

Sep 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #2,802 of 2,837
Pricing on the site isn't right. I got cables with my remold for free. Wood faceplate was $35 even though it was suppose to be $50. Another thing is great customer support and quick turn around time. They only had my customs for 3 days and it was finished with a remold with recessed sockets and wood faceplate. Can't complain about that at all.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2,803 of 2,837
  Latest pricing from Fisher/Inearz Audio: From stock buds - $95.00, From already customized buds - $150.00, 2nd day shipping - $16.50, Colors - $35.00, With their cable - $35.00. So basically if you buy someones custom IEM's, to get them re-shelled your lookin at $150.00, if ya gotta have color $35.00 and ya want 2nd day shipping $16.50( min is $9.50 for ground) useing your own cables, duh, your min is $159.50 for clear to  $201.50 for colored with 2nd Day shipping! So they arnt as cheap as the rumor seems to be. InearCustom can do the same thing for easily $50 to $75 less, and they did a great job on mine.

This post is untrue. I don't know where you got your pricing from but this is our breakdown

Remold from stock $95
Remold from already custom $150
no charge for colors. We do charge $10 for custom colors like swirls and glitter.
I dont think I have ever emailed you or talked to you over the phone.

Sorry your information was incorrect

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,805 of 2,837
  Congratulations.

Cheers

I wish I could borrow you my... my perfectly symetrical ears muAHAHAHA!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back