IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #121 of 2,837

jvida

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Posts
29
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f00fighters, first off I like the review, the look and the price, thanks for the information. I do have a question, which would seem a concern, although I could be wrong. From the pictures you posted it appears to me that the cable plug, which plugs into the housing is on a small post and the housing does not have a recessed female connection, am I right or wrong? The reason I ask is that with a recess on the housing, it would put less strain on the actual connector plug.


Here a good comparison of the different recesses:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P1010284.jpg



l_0e33254fa9c244b19569ba1de8452481.jpg




Not sure how much of a difference it makes. How strong are the prongs on the cables?
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #122 of 2,837

jvida

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Posts
29
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by InEarZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are right we do not recess the cable connection. But to be honest we do anywhere from 50-100 monitors a month and we don't have any problems with this. The only time you would get a problem from bending the pins is if you are hard on the monitors. And by hard i mean stepping on them dropping them, pushing the pins, constantly pulling the cable in and out.


And I don't really plan on stepping on mine very often, so it'll probably be fine. Have you experienced any problems with this f00fighters?
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #123 of 2,837

WalkGood

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Posts
1,015
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here a good comparison of the different recesses ... ... Not sure how much of a difference it makes. How strong are the prongs on the cables?


Thanks jvida for the pictures, guess I was right. Don't know how strong the prongs are, but aside from strain relief on the cables, I would hate to lose a housing containing expensive armatures if they're draped around my neck.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #124 of 2,837

jvida

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Posts
29
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks jvida for the pictures, guess I was right. Don't know how strong the prongs are, but aside from strain relief on the cables, I would hate to lose a housing containing expensive armatures if they're draped around my neck.


Doesn't look like Freq recesses them:

freq_close_back.jpg


Or Westone:

es3x_both_sides.jpg


ES3X_2.jpg


ES3X_1.jpg


Or JH Audio:

Edwood_JH13_01.jpg


So I think we should be fine.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #126 of 2,837

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Posts
506
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
f00fighters, first off I like the review, the look and the price, thanks for the information. I do have a question, which would seem a concern, although I could be wrong. From the pictures you posted it appears to me that the cable plug, which plugs into the housing is on a small post and the housing does not have a recessed female connection, am I right or wrong? The reason I ask is that with a recess on the housing, it would put less strain on the actual connector plug.

Here is an example of the recess I speak of:

DSCN0097.jpg



You are correct that it is not very recessed in comparison to let's say the UE11. I believe the earphones themselves have a female socket that slightly protrudes, where as the actual cable has a male connector. It doesn't bother met at all, nor has it caused me any problems. I would've taken pictures of the sockets, but I really don't want to remove the cable unless I have to. Honestly, I don't think it's a big deal. I jog and workout with these, and I don't notice much strain on the cable. The cable goes around the back of my ear- which is accommodates for most of the stress, I imagine. But you're right, it would be better if it were more recessed, and perhaps that would factor into the longevity of the cable, but I have no complaints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I don't really plan on stepping on mine very often, so it'll probably be fine. Have you experienced any problems with this f00fighters?


I haven't experienced any real problems except with my own stupidity. I was working out one day at the gym, and the cable got caught between my body and one of the exercise machines, and it got yanked a bit, but thankfully nothing was damaged. So when you workout with them, be sure to wear the customs so the cable goes along your back - or in a manner that isn't going to interfere with your exercise routine.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #127 of 2,837

jvida

New Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Posts
29
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jvida,Thanks for the information and pics, only an observation on my part, no offense.


Oh, none taken. Sorry if it came across that way. I was including you in "we". Just trying to help alleviate any concerns. I didn't even consider the recess/non-recess issue. Definitely a good observation! But, if Westone and JHAudio don't recess them, then it shouldn't be something we all need to worry about too much. That's what I was trying to say.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #128 of 2,837

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Posts
506
Likes
13
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #129 of 2,837

xguntherc

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Posts
375
Likes
11
So how much better are customs, giving better comfort and sound. And personalizing your phones.

Also is it only worth it to do customs on say a dual armature or triple. Like would someone do this on there $100 dollar iems, or on there er4's I mean people can do whatever they want but why upgrade a cheaper phone right??

Cuz I was planning on getting maybe the westone 2's. Or should I just get a TF10 n custom fit it?
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #130 of 2,837

barleyguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Posts
1,299
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how much better are customs, giving better comfort and sound. And personalizing your phones.

Also is it only worth it to do customs on say a dual armature or triple. Like would someone do this on there $100 dollar iems, or on there er4's I mean people can do whatever they want but why upgrade a cheaper phone right??

Cuz I was planning on getting maybe the westone 2's. Or should I just get a TF10 n custom fit it?



If you look in the Unique Melody thread, there is someone who had Westone UM2's done and loves them. There is also someone who did a Super Fi 5, and said they are very impressive as well. I am having Klipsch X10's remolded (done and in transit back to me).

I'm also a bit curious how much potential cheaper IEM's have when converted to customs. I'd be really curious how an NE-8 would do, since the biggest issue with the NE-8's seems to be fit. (Those are dynamics though.)

I'd be a little skeptical of buying expensive universals just to have them reshelled, unless you can get a good deal used. Once you get to $400, you can buy true customs such as the JH5, UE4, or Alienears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by InEarZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
InEarZ can upgrade the $100 pair for sure but if you want to go custom we also have all the drivers to make you a complete set of InEarZ custom monitors. Our triples are $450.00, Duals are $350.00 and we have a quad that is $550.00. Promise website coming soon so you can see.


I'd be interested in someone doing an unbiased review of your customs, and how they compare to the competition.

(As a side note, though we all appreciate you being here to answer questions and share information about your product line, promotion in the general forums is against the rules. I'm cool with everything so far, but just wanted to mention that, so you can keep an eye on the fine line between information and advertising.)
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #131 of 2,837

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Posts
3,962
Likes
96
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be a little skeptical of buying expensive universals just to have them reshelled, unless you can get a good deal used. Once you get to $400, you can buy true customs such as the JH5, UE4, or Alienears.


Just as some customs can't be approximated by available universals (i.e. JH13), some universals can't be approximated by available customs (i.e. Westone 3). It's an interesting route.

The biggest value I see is mixing and matching armatures and IEMs. If Fisher Hearing could put two different IEMs (either all of their component armatures or certain armatures from each) with different crossover networks and somehow combine them (as UM does), I would immediately be very interested.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #132 of 2,837

kobayashi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Posts
668
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look in the Unique Melody thread, there is someone who had Westone UM2's done and loves them. There is also someone who did a Super Fi 5, and said they are very impressive as well. I am having Klipsch X10's remolded (done and in transit back to me).

I'm also a bit curious how much potential cheaper IEM's have when converted to customs. I'd be really curious how an NE-8 would do, since the biggest issue with the NE-8's seems to be fit. (Those are dynamics though.)

I'd be a little skeptical of buying expensive universals just to have them reshelled, unless you can get a good deal used. Once you get to $400, you can buy true customs such as the JH5, UE4, or Alienears.



I'd be interested in someone doing an unbiased review of your customs, and how they compare to the competition.

(As a side note, though we all appreciate you being here to answer questions and share information about your product line, promotion in the general forums is against the rules. I'm cool with everything so far, but just wanted to mention that, so you can keep an eye on the fine line between information and advertising.)



Again, Fisher can't remold dynamic IEMs.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #133 of 2,837

barleyguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Posts
1,299
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobayashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, Fisher can't remold dynamic IEMs.


I noticed that they said that, which is why I mentioned it in parentheses. Some dynamics are sealed though, so I'm curious why they are different than BA's.
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #134 of 2,837

xguntherc

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Posts
375
Likes
11
3X0 I didn't fully follow you. What do you mean regarding the Westone 3's?

that all that goes into them, and the crossovers. making them custom would be hard, and or not worth it? or am I off
 
Nov 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #135 of 2,837

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Posts
3,962
Likes
96
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3X0 I didn't fully follow you. What do you mean regarding the Westone 3's?

that all that goes into them, and the crossovers. making them custom would be hard, and or not worth it? or am I off



The UM3X's custom counterpart is the ES3X. The Westone 3 has no custom counterpart made by Westone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top