IEMs painful.
Apr 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
anybody had any experiences with IEM's being painful to wear? i recently got a pair of ety HF5's (which i absolutely love how they sound) and i've noticed they make my ears hurt sometimes when i put them in or when i've had them in awhile, not really the ear canal hurting but like a painful pressure feeling, like the kind of ear pain you get from being in an airplane. any solutions to this? am i doing something wrong? 

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 15
no, i had a pair of v-modas awhile ago, but i never wore them more then once because of the way they sounded (that was a different kind of pain :p) they are the first pair of IEM's ive actually used though. the v-modas i just crammed into my ears once and promptly took them out and returned them.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 15
i've tried all the tips they came with. 

Quote:
Oh, then give it some time. I'm sure you'll adjust after a set few days. Try some other tips as well.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Oh, then give it some time. I'm sure you'll adjust after a set few days. Try some other tips as well.

I can reommend comply tips for comfort, but they change the sound a little,

But that can be fixed by just put the tips with the backside of the tips on first on the noozle of the iem.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Try wearing the left piece on your right ear and the right piece left. Experiment with smaller sized tips. If all fails you are just going to have to deal with the uncomfortable pressure, or just stay away from deep insertion IEMs like the Etys.

I find that IEMs which are smaller, shorter, wears looped over the ear, and work well with foam tips, are the most comfortable with least brain pressure. 

Your body does build up more tolerance to having your ears blocked off and having deeper insertions if you work at it. But remember IEMs usually come with legal warnings to not wear them over 1-2 hours at a time. And as a meditation practitioner I can say that having two important chi-channels blocked off is not a pleasant feeling nor is it good for a healthy energy flow. Don't let me scare you off of IEMs now though, I wear them all the time. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #8 of 15

i think its more it just feels weird to wear them. short tipped ones don't fit or seal right. i actually like how the etys fit. 
Quote:
Try wearing the left piece on your right ear and the right piece left. Experiment with smaller sized tips. If all fails you are just going to have to deal with the uncomfortable pressure, or just stay away from deep insertion IEMs like the Etys.

I find that IEMs which are smaller, shorter, wears looped over the ear, and work well with foam tips, are the most comfortable with least brain pressure. 

Your body does build up more tolerance to having your ears blocked off and having deeper insertions if you work at it. But remember IEMs usually come with legal warnings to not wear them over 1-2 hours at a time. And as a meditation practitioner I can say that having two important chi-channels blocked off is not a pleasant feeling nor is it good for a healthy energy flow. Don't let me scare you off of IEMs now though, I wear them all the time. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 15
Then just don't think about it. Don't think about how weird it is and focus your attention somewhere else, like how good the music sounds, or make more posts at head-fi.
gs1000.gif

Quote:
i think its more it just feels weird to wear them. short tipped ones don't fit or seal right. i actually like how the etys fit. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 15
It's probably since Etymotic IEMs go pretty deep in your ear. You'll probably get used to it over the long term. I've always stuck to shallow fit IEMs so I probably wouldn't have this pressure problem.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 15
even if i don't get used to it, i'll deal with it, these IEMs sound absolutely fantastic.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 15
im used to them now, and yes they wouldnt fit into my ears.

Apr 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, Ety's definitely take some getting used to. I stopped wearing mine for a few months after I got my TF10s, but I'm using them until my new cable arrives (come on UE!!!). In terms of comfort, it was back to square one (ohhhh the pain.....). 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back