IEMs or canalphones? (~$100 budget)
Nov 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Denon 1001s since the summer and love the clarity and detail of the sound compared to my Sony MDR-EX71 buds. However, the Denons are just too large to wear around while I'm on campus or wandering around.

From what I've gathered, IEMs take a little more care inserting to get the best sound, which may not be ideal for me since I put in and remove my buds many times during a day when I walk to class or a colleague pops into my office to talk. Will I be giving up much sound quality by using a pair of canalphones as opposed to IEMs?

I can see myself budgeting about $100-$125 to get a pair of portables phones. I usually carry my iPod un-amped, but may consider picking up the Fiio E5 when it becomes available. What options should I be considering in my price range? I listen to rock, jazz (mostly female vocal) and orchestral/symphonic stuff. I've been looking at:

Klipsch Custom 2, maybe the X-5 if I really want to stretch my budget.
Westone UM1
Denon C551
Edited to add Jays j-Jays or a used pair of Q-jays if I can find them.
Anything from Shure?

It's also getting damn cold here, so I'd like something with a slim profile that won't bulge out under a beanie/touque.

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I was in a similar place. i wanted something small for work, and often have to take them out/off to speak with people. Deep In-Ears were out.

I went with the Denon C551 and have been impressed so far. I am listening to them un-amped and think for the money they work just fine for what i wanted.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 4
If you're in the U.S. and can justify $125 (you definitely should), get the Klipsch X-5s, which are 50% off right now at klipsch.com (until Nov. 30th) with free shipping.

Getting anything else right now at that price range would be illogical, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back