IEM's like my Grado / Alessandro MS-1s
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bster13

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Being so hard to sample all the IEM choices that are out there, I'm coming here for advice on replicating my experience with my Alessandro MS-1s (http://www.head-fi.org/products/alessandro-ms-1).  I've been told they are similar to Grado SR80/125s if that helps.  These are my first and only headphones, but I love them and would be elated to replicate their sound in IEMs.  I enjoy their slightly beefed up low end but I really enjoy them for rock ballads as well, no complaints. Obviously I'm not looking for monitors and I'm a poseur audiophile, so please be kind. :p

Some details....

- Looking for something around $50 or less
- Use Case for Airplane rides & the gym
- I am strongly consider DIY Custom Ear Pieces with Sugru or Radians custom molded earplugs.  My last plane ride drove me nuts, I need a great seal & isolation.
- Source: MP3 / Streaming services, powered off Android smartphone or laptop
- Random songs I just listened to via streaming service (can range from punchy Pop to Rock Ballads):
U2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Coldplay - Fix You
Hypnotize by The Notorious B.I.G.
Kayne West Golddigger
Bruno Mars - It Will Rain
Scorpions - Wind of Change
U2 - The Sweetest Thing
AWOLNATION - Sail

Many thanks!

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Nov 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the list, I've read through 3/5ths of the 2nd URL's list and the questions I keep asking are:

"Can direct driver / dynamic driver IEMs be sealed, just like a sealed sub-woofer, or do they all have vents?"
"Are the only sealed IEMs of balanced armature design?"

Some of the reviews mention a set of phones having vents or being sealed, but some reviews don't mention venting at all.  If I plan to create custom IEMs with Sugru, I am thinking I want sealed IEMs.  So if someone can clarify my question above I'd really appreciate it.  Thx.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't think a sealed Dynamic driver will work as the dynamic principle requires the movement of air. Anyway lets see what the experts says. btw the first link has been updated with more choices and details here:

http://www.inearmatters.net/2009/01/list_01.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back