IEMs help you bypass store security?
Mar 20, 2006 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I was walking through the library security thing recently while wearing my super.fi's, and as I passed through them, there was a ringing that was soft, then grew, then went soft and died as I walked away from them.

Now this got me wondering, can certain IEMs detect when a security sensor is in place at a store?
eek.gif

And something tells me if this is true, a lot of dishonest head-fiers are going to be sneaking out certain store objects
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 20
Happened to me on the way into Borders last week with some MS-1's, a pa2v2 and iriver h320. Not sure which item was the leak, suppose it could have been the weak shielding on the cables aswell:p

I don't see how it would help you bypass it.. they normally don't try to hide the fact that they're there.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 20
My Grado SR60s and PA2V2 also do this.

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Then there are those sensors that ring when anyone walks through them and security doesn't even bother checking anyone anymore. I'll bet those are easier to "bypass" should a dishonest person want to steal something.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 20
Most headphones do that. I've noticed when ever I wear them and pass through a detector. I don't think it will help with shop lifting becasue most stores have the detectors at exits.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #7 of 20
i think you are hearing interferance.

i can tell when my cell phone is "ringing" on sildent because of interferance in certain "paterns." i can also tell when my sister is on teh phone, because fo similar interferance...

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 20
Well, some stores have detectors, some don't at all, and some have them, but it's concealed to a point where it looks like they don't have one.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 20
Well how else was I supposed to buy 'those' books? My parents wouldn't let me!
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 20
I can see how it can help steal stuff...not that I think anyone should

But some stores have those anti theft detectors there just for show. At a place where I worked they had no function, they were just used to scare off shoplifters...little did they know, they could have taken anything with no problem. I guess you could use headphones to determine if the detecotrs are real...but don't steal, it isn't cool.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohhh
Happened to me on the way into Borders last week with some MS-1's, a pa2v2 and iriver h320. Not sure which item was the leak, suppose it could have been the weak shielding on the cables aswell:p

I don't see how it would help you bypass it.. they normally don't try to hide the fact that they're there.

I would say that it's the h320. I have the h340 and it's terrible at keeping out interference--during my commute it's normal for me to hear interference from a cellphone or even someone's conversation at least a couple of times. my other DAPs don't do this. Don't have an amp yet, btw, it's just straight to my E4s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back