IEM's for under $150?
Feb 27, 2007 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Slides

100+ Head-Fier
I've never used IEMs before, but thinking of one for my Sansa mp3 player. They will be unamped and I want ones that have good bass and are fun to listen while still being fairly faithful to the original music. And I don't want to trade clarity and detail for bass, just that I don't want weak sounding phones (are IEMs still called phones?).

Looking for some good suggestions please. thanks!

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 26
Advil, what kind of isolation do you get with the um1 objectively as well as compared to other IEMs?

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 26
in my experience, the UM1 is...not a good match against the UM2. doesn't do the westone name justice.
for a single driver IEM id recommend a future sonics EM1. you can pick them up for -99

for dual driver, the cheapest i've found is the ultimate ears 5eb, easily found for 130.
it uses the same high frequency driver as the 5pro, bass heavy though. to the point of muddying 30-120htz if over +20 drive with out proper current(a problem of small portable music players) .

I don't care for the ety's because of the "hearing aid" armature driver.
also, the internal wiring uses a Cmos current divider which is inappropriate for (the low current and impedance) of a IEM

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone UM1, link in my sig. Look no further my friend!

I agree um1s are a great choice with great isolation and comfort. However, you said you wanted bass. UM1s have bass, but to some who are used to other phones, its nothing. I like how it is tight and controlled with great mids, but others find it empty and boring.

I recommend them but just lettin you know not everyone likes its sound sig

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never used IEMs before, but thinking of one for my Sansa mp3 player. They will be unamped and I want ones that have good bass and are fun to listen while still being fairly faithful to the original music. And I don't want to trade clarity and detail for bass, just that I don't want weak sounding phones (are IEMs still called phones?).

If you want to spend just a tad bit more money, you can get an ER4P, which can be converted into an ER4S when you get some more money. I've never heard a UM2 or UM1, but the ER4 easily bests everything else I have heard.

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Are you sure you need true isolation? Considering your source and your bass-liking, I could possibly suggest the V-Moda Vibe or JBL Reference 220 as they certainly have more visceral bass than armature-based units do.

If you want isolation and don't mind warts sticking out of your ears, the Super.fi 5 EB is a possible choice.

Honestly, though, most balanced armatures won't really get you the sound you want.

Feb 28, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 26
He also said that he doesn't want to trade detail and clarity for bass.

And what's wrong with armatures? They are very adept at producing bass frequencies.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure you need true isolation? Considering your source and your bass-liking, I could possibly suggest the V-Moda Vibe or JBL Reference 220 as they certainly have more visceral bass than armature-based units do.

If you want isolation and don't mind warts sticking out of your ears, the Super.fi 5 EB is a possible choice.

Honestly, though, most balanced armatures won't really get you the sound you want.

Not sure about isolation. I actually would rather not be completely isolated from outside noise, if that's what you mean.

In fact, I'm not even sure why I'm pushing for an IEM specifically, I just heard they are better than earbuds? I just want a good sounding portable audio solution with the criteria I previously mentioned.

What's armature?

V-Moda Vibe vs. JBL Reference 220 vs. ER4P vs. UM2, how do they compare for my needs (minus the price differential).

Thanks for the responses all

P.S. And I'm willing to spend $200~300 on these if they will be worth the price - i.e. blow my socks-off type of sound, but not if it's only a marginal sound improvement over the cheaper options. Keep in mind my source and needs.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 26
actually the leverage principal of a armature is good for bass if the diaphragm is large, due to the nature of a armature based driver in a IEM, there is little surface area, thus incapable of strong bass.
id recommend a full diaphragm driver if u want bass.
or if not that, a dedicated low frequency armature.

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 26
So earbuds actually have better bass than IEMs?

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 26
armature drivers are perfectly acceptable for bass. they can move sufficient quantities of air to produce bass down to 20hz without noticable rolloff. they just require a better seal. if u think that's just "hearing aid" drivers in ety's, ue10 pros and e500's also use armature drivers. do they have bad bass?

Quote:

So earbuds actually have better bass than IEMs?

no. well nothing stops earbuds from having good bass, just they only choose to make cheap earbuds. yuin pk2 is about the best earbud u can get (correct me if i'm wrong)

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 26
And just to clarify I hate muddy sound, it gives me fatigue and a headache. I'm more than willing to trade off some bass, as long as I can get clear and detailed sound that doesn't end up sounding tiny and weak. I'm not really a bass head, but just want something that's fun to listen for long durations without fatigue.

Feb 28, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #15 of 26
well u'll love the detail, clarity and neutrality of er-4p, but u probably won't find it much "fun" (and it's so revealing if the recordings bad, it sounds crap). and it isolates heaps - u really got nfi if the world collapses around u.

sf5pro is relatively dark sounding and bottom end heavy. good bass impact. it also isolates quite a bit

v-moda vibe is described as a "fun" sounding phone. it reduces noise but u can still hear ppl talking around u. haven't heard it tho.

anything else, i dunno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back