IEMs for running sister
Feb 14, 2007 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Muftobration

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. My sister's birthday is tomorrow (yes, Valentines day) and we are all meeting for dinner on Friday to celebrate (she is away in college). She has had nothing but trouble with her last two pairs of ear buds, so I would like to find something nice to give her. The only conditions are that they have to be light weight and can not fall out when a person runs with them. Sound quality is secondary. Keep the cost to a minimum, preferably under $70, but definitely under $100, no question. I'm sure that those conditions aren't too hard. I would look myself, but I have zero experience with IEMs, so i have no idea what designs stay in or what brands are good, etc...

Thanks guys! I'm sure your choice will make my sister very happy.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 15
JVC Marshmallow's with Shure Foamies are awesome. Don't tell my fiancee but they're part of her valentine's day gift. I got her some small foamies. I'm not sure that you'll have time to get different tips, unless you already have them, by Friday though.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 15
If you absolutely want IEMs then I would look at the JVC marshmallows or V-mode Vibes.
I'm not sure about the isolation of the marshmallows, but the Vibes are open IEMs. They have nice isolation but you can still hear outside, which is much safer if you run outside. You definitely don't want to be isolated when you are running/crossing the street.

If it doesn't have to be an IEM, KSC75 or Portapros would be my first choice.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 15
If she is running, sound isolation could be a problem for her safety. Lately, the V-moda Vibes and the JBL reference 220 have been getting good attention. They both offer less isolation then true IEM but a little more then standard ear-buds. The JBL might be less expensive.

cheers

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 15
Not sure IEMs are good for running: steps, body and cable noises due to the seal in the ears. Plus dangerous since she won't hear the traffic as well with the more sealed ones.

Maybe clip-ons?

Feb 14, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 15
I am a n00b here, but a vet runner. In the running world there is great debate on if runners should where headphones at all - when racing; when running on paths; when running on roads. There are some real zealots . . . but that is not the real point.

I run with sometimes, I run without sometimes.

Personally I recommend phones that allow outside noise AND keeping the volume down to a reasonable level. There are many options out there that are good for running, none of which are going to sound that good or cost that much.

I use decent IEM's on the treadmill. I use a variety of ones when i am outside. Most have some type of over the ear clip and sit partially in the ear. It might take a lot of trying to find what is comfy after 60 or 90 minutes of running. All of your option will likely be under $30

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 15
jvc marshmallows
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 15
KSC75 I thank she would really like these clip on's. Even though they are not IEM's they stay on well and sound great. Plus you can get them for 20 bucks!Radio shack is the easiest place to find these. Almost all carry them.

Cheap IEMs that would work are the JVC Marshmallo. They sound decent and are very confy. I never use them but my wife and 11 year old daughter love them. You can also walk in any circuit city or best buy and buy them for 20 bucks anytime.

A step up would be the V Moda vibes. They sound great (for earphones) and look really stylish. They are closer to $100 bucks.

I don't thank she would be dissapointed in any of these. Best bang for the buck is still the KSC75.

Sorry to just repeat what everybody else said, just wanted to give you a little more info.

Respect

Chris

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 15
+1 on JBL Reference 220 ($80) or V-Moda Vibes ($90)

As others have mentioned, both are 'open' IEM's, allowing some outside noise in, which would be beneficial while running. Also, the open-style will help cut down on the sounds of her breathing and heartbeat while exercising.

ps-There's a set of JBL's in the F/S section right now. (no affiliation) Otherwise, you can pick them up at your local Staples. I believe Vibes are available at Apple stores, but there have been some threads around here recently saying they were out of stock. Otherwise they can be ordered online.

Feb 14, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #12 of 15
Great,thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll probably get her the KSC75s, but maybe the JVC Marshmallows if they don't have issues with falling out (they look like they would). I'll talk to my family and ask if they are willing to spend more money on some better ones (joint gift) for the JBL Reference.

Feb 14, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 15
If she gets IEM's, have her run the cables up over the top and behind her ears instead of just hanging straight down. That'll help reduce or eliminate microphonics.

KSC75's sound great and are very affordable but I've never run with mine. To me, they seem to big and bouncy--they just aren't secure enough. Dunno. Maybe I'll try running with them and see how they work. I generally prefer something smaller/lighter/more secure for vigorous activities such as running, though. I wonder if the people recommending them have ever actually run with them or not. None of them specifically state that they have.

BTW-I didn't have any problem with my JVC's falling out with the stock tips. But if she has a problem try swapping the stock tips for some Shure foamies. Good sound and they are a bit more secure in my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back