IEMs for Rock/Metal - Confused.
Apr 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #16 of 45
Sadly, I'm comparing only the regular Turbine Pros (Grey) to the W2's. 

I think the amount and impact of bass is just about perfect.  More would be fatiguing to me.  However, the W2's make them sound like they are muddy and mid-less.  When I compare the Turbines to the Mee M6, they sound downright analytical :p 

The W2's are soooooo nice though.  The only problem is they somewhat tame Metallica.  Oddly enough, the actually make St. Anger listenable since they counter the horridly muddy production style of that album.

I too, am wondering if Coppers would be a better blend of what I want, but some reviews state they have even more bass, which might be too much for me...

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #17 of 45
From all the IEM's and headphones I have heard, the Panasonic HJE900 blows everything else (barring the JVCFX700) out of the water for metal. Its loud, visceral, in your face and has the best timbre for electric guitars that I have yet heard. I am a huge metal fan and I would highly recommend them. BA's are good for metal, but dynamics slay them when it comes to relaying the crushing power and attitude of metal. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 45

Quote:
Sadly, I'm comparing only the regular Turbine Pros (Grey) to the W2's. 

I think the amount and impact of bass is just about perfect.  More would be fatiguing to me.  However, the W2's make them sound like they are muddy and mid-less.  When I compare the Turbines to the Mee M6, they sound downright analytical :p 

The W2's are soooooo nice though.  The only problem is they somewhat tame Metallica.  Oddly enough, the actually make St. Anger listenable since they counter the horridly muddy production style of that album.

I too, am wondering if Coppers would be a better blend of what I want, but some reviews state they have even more bass, which might be too much for me...

The Coppers are a fantastic IEM.  Luscious and creamy sound,  definately a marked improvement over their sibling.  Though, they require a clean, powerful source and a healthy amount of burn in.  Even then I am still in search for better detail retrieval in the thick mid range and higher extension on the top end.  Oh... and a slightly larger stage  
redface.gif

P.S. I hate poorly mastered albums, especially when an artist purposely does so....cough Metallica cough

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #19 of 45

Quote:
I've been on this very same search for a long time, too long it seems.  I listen to a wide variety of music but primarily Metal.  What I look for in an IEM dedicated for this genre is staggering due to the complexity and sheer amount of instruments involved as well as vocals.  I enjoy listening to this specific genre as if I were at a live concert....ie. Loud enough to not cause ear damage. 
L3000.gif

My laundry list includes:

-Tight, accurate and slightly forward mid bass to complement drums (double bass).  Sub-bass not really needed, so lower extension isn't critical.
-Liquid, detailed and slightly forward midrange for crystal clear vocals that aren't lost behind instruments.
-Extended, controlled and slightly forward highs that are effortless but do not cause sibilance. 
-Enveloping, wide soundstage that isn't to the point of disbelief or sound like your in a concert hall.
-Excellent instrument separation that puts every instrument in its own distinct area.
-And lastly correct timbre amongst these instruments to keep an accurate life-like translation.

Like I said I'm still on the hunt, no IEM is perfect but some come very close.  The CK-10 is an amazing iem and worth the money,(Disclaimer:IMHO) but it lacks the hard hitting mid bass and slightly forward midrange that I prefer in earphones for Metal even with a proper fit and seal.  Well that's my 2cents, I'm off to decide whether to buy the FX700 or Westone 4...
confused_face_2.gif

Will it ever end...

I have been looking for an IEM mainly for metal as well with very similar factors to you. 

So far I'm leaning towards the CK-10 even though there are so many different opinions on the bass. Haven't heard of them with my own ears yet but I'm looking for the best IEMs that follow the factors above for around 250 AUD. AUD/USD both are about the same now, so hopefully it doesn't make a difference, but MAN the prices are high in Australia. $380 AUD for the CK-10! 
Anyway any help will be much appreciated, since this is my first post 
popcorn.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #20 of 45
If amped, CK10, DBA-02, RE0 or ety ER4S. You must em these babies up for that extra kick that metal desires, and also to "fill" up their sound. They sound quite lean unamped.

If unamped, the earsonics SM2/SM3. Requires no amplification to sound awesome. The SM3s bass is.. wow. Fast and accurate and no way light.

All the best!

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 45
Anyway if budget is tight.. go for the DBA-02. Eq the bass up a lil', to your liking. It's fast. It's clean. And with trip flanges or complies it is not shy in bass ;D

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #23 of 45
Give the new GR07 a shot, i sold my DBA's for a pair. Thats how much more i like them :wink:

Apr 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #24 of 45

Quote:
If amped, CK10, DBA-02, RE0 or ety ER4S. You must em these babies up for that extra kick that metal desires, and also to "fill" up their sound. They sound quite lean unamped.

If unamped, the earsonics SM2/SM3. Requires no amplification to sound awesome. The SM3s bass is.. wow. Fast and accurate and no way light.

All the best!

Quote:
X2 for SM3. I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

SM3 is way over OP's price range.  And from what I've heard, the SM2 is nothing special for the price.  At least when compared to the CK-10.  If anyone can do a quick comparison of the SM2 and CK-10 for Evanatch that would be very useful since they are in the same price range.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #25 of 45
Thanks for all the replies, they have given me a lot to think about.
I read ClieOS's review on the GR07 and will probably spend some time reading the rest of the thread, seems like something I'll have to keep in mind.
As far as a SM2/CK10 comparison, I found this post by shigzeo on the subject, taken from this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502978/earsonics-sm2-vs-audio-technica-ck10-how-do-they-compare

Quote:
I am supposed to be on my first (and two year late) honeymoon, but I will try my best: both are excellent, but both have some faults. The sm2 falls into the category of brute force instruments. It has a powerful baseline with good instrument separation, but no matter how well you treat it, it is a bit dark. The ck10, on the other hand, isn't dark, but it strays from being overly bright. I also have the er4s, so my outlook on bright is tempered by the most squirley of earphones.

The problem with the sm2 is that it is harder to drive: without a really low outputting device, you may experience some treble suckout, or loss of bass. On the other hand, you are really only sacrificing a few decibels of brightness. The ck10 has no lack of bright but it is considered by some people to be tweaky. If you are particularly sensitive to the sound of balanced armatures you may find them metallic sounding. I do not, but then again i hear metallic stuff jn certain dynamic phones that makes the ck10 pale in comparison.

The audio technica is built much better and is more exciting for trance and classical, but the sm2 has a more natural baseline. I will not be able to give the nod to either one for treble. One is bright and energetic, the other is dark but mature.

I can't say which you'll like better. If you like brig and easy to control, go for the audio technica. If you like darker and smoother, but harder to control (a machine that needs some love), go for the Earsonics. Both are excellent earphones.

Unfortunately, the SM3 is indeed out of my budget unless:
A) The price drops fairly drastically
B) I randomly obtain a large sum of money

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 45
Klipsch Custom3 are very good for rock genre and it's sound signature is close to Grado headphones, forward mids, crisp, deep, punchy bass and clear highs. The Radius DDM are great too for rock because it has big soundstage and deep punchy bass, JVC FX700, IE7 are also recommended for the above genres. But if you want clarity between busy passages and better instrument separation then UM3x are amazing.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 45
I would second for the Panny 900's, but since the bass might be too much for your preferences, I'd say the DBA-02's would serve nicely.  If you get a nice, deep seal, they bass is in fact very present and punchy.  Then even if it's not enough, you could always eq the bass up to your liking with a cheap solution, like a rockboxed Clip or Fuze...

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 45
I'll toss a vote in for the Panny's as well.  If you post a want ad in the for sale forum, you should be able to pick them up for under $100.  As Daanish said earlier, these are flat out the best for rock/distortion guitars.  They have a crunch and sizzle that I have not heard from another IEM that makes the hard rock/metal guitars sound very real and life like. While I'd prefer them to have a thicker/bolder bass note, their bass is very fast and keeps up with any BA.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #30 of 45
The Panasonics do sound interesting, but I read somewhere that they sound very similar to the ATH-M50. I think I might want to try a different sound (i.e. BAs)... But I don't want to get BAs if a dynamic will really sound better... This thread is confusing me even more now I think.
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back