IEMs for Metal/Rock (replacement for Brainwavz M3)
Aug 17, 2012 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

martian007

New Head-Fier
I know there are lots of threads asking for recommendation like this one and as I don't want to steal much of your time I'll try to be as clear as possible about what I'm looking for.

My Brainwavz M3 broke after a year and a half of moderate use (its actually possible to listen to them but it's f**ing hard to get the cables in a valid position since they are really damaged in the inside) and I'm looking for a cheap replacement for them without losing much audio quaility. I liked the M3 mainly because they were very versatile, and I want to keep it like that but centering on my favourite music genres which are metal (from classic metal to sludge/stoner, progressive death, etc.), rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters...), and sometimes electronic (Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Squarepusher...). I know it's a little difficult to combine electric guitars with punchy bass, so if I have to choose I prefer sharp guitars over overwhelming bass, but I'd like the earphones to be balanced if possible. Anyway, I rarely listen to very hard techno music.

Having a look at joker's multi-iem review i have narrowed the options to Xears XE200PRO and VSonic GR06, . The last ones are 10€ more expensive but they seem to have better build and sound quality and more accesories, but can only be purchased from China through eBay. Xears, on the other hand, seem more comfortable. Another option is VSonic GR02 Bass, but I don't know how it compares to the previous ones in terms of sound quality.

Just in case, some IEMs I discarded are Fischer Audio Eterna (seem too bassy) and Fischer Audio Silver Bullet (too fragile and poor build, considering that I have already broken a pair of IEMs).

Thanks in advance.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 22
you can try westone 4 or SM3... simply as that :)

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 22
Wow, those are not cheap at all. Any opinions on the two IEMs I mentioned? I'm not looking for excellent performers in all frequencies. The "balanced" thing is because I don't like the feeling of the music "lacking" certain sounds. For the music genres I like, which of the options is better? Or is there any other IEM which fits my tastes better for the same price? I'd like to have the money for a 400$ IEMs, but I just cant afford them.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 22
Having a similar taste in music as OP, I would highly recommend Brainwavz M4 BUT with at least a mini amplifier like Fiio's E6. M4 is definitely fast enough especially for bands like At The Drive In or The Mars Volta. Without an amp, for me M4 sounds like flat even with a high volume but paired with amp it turns into a beast! Wider soundstage, better clarity.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 22
I've read that the M4 have a little recessed mids, although I have seen them recommended for rock/metal. How do you feel heavy guitars with them? I'd also like to know if they have good instrument separation and a decent soundstage (I hate the claustrophobic feeling you get with some cheap earphones).

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
I've read that the M4 have a little recessed mids, although I have seen them recommended for rock/metal. How do you feel heavy guitars with them? I'd also like to know if they have good instrument separation and a decent soundstage (I hate the claustrophobic feeling you get with some cheap earphones).

M4 doesnt suit the metal genre imo. Didnt like mine at all since its bass is not much , but its great at detailing. It performs like a beast though with an amp.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I know there are lots of threads asking for recommendation like this one and as I don't want to steal much of your time I'll try to be as clear as possible about what I'm looking for.

My Brainwavz M3 broke after a year and a half of moderate use (its actually possible to listen to them but it's f**ing hard to get the cables in a valid position since they are really damaged in the inside) and I'm looking for a cheap replacement for them without losing much audio quaility. I liked the M3 mainly because they were very versatile, and I want to keep it like that but centering on my favourite music genres which are metal (from classic metal to sludge/stoner, progressive death, etc.), rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters...), and sometimes electronic (Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Squarepusher...). I know it's a little difficult to combine electric guitars with punchy bass, so if I have to choose I prefer sharp guitars over overwhelming bass, but I'd like the earphones to be balanced if possible. Anyway, I rarely listen to very hard techno music.

What you're describing sounds like the classic V-signature.  Anything Dsnuts recommends should sounds pretty good to you
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182-jvcs-fx40-pg-83-fx101-pg-96/3015
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-revamped-for-2012-ha-fxd80-70-60

The cheap and cheerful Philips SHE3580 also sound like that
http://www.head-fi.org/t/561951/philips-she3580-iem-review-10-giant-killers-er-4p-gathering-dust

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

the ath-ckm500 are for you! they have a more open design, and thus a more open sound

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 22
Maybe. I like the CKM500, but eventually i began to feel that they had to much bass for rock and metal. Now that i have tried something more neutral (GR01), id have a hard time listening to metal with the CKM500. The GR01 is simply a lot clearer sounding in comparison. For metal Ill take bass quality over quantity. The speed of the GR01 is great for rock and metal. If the GR01 is out of your price range the Rockit Sounds R50 is said to sound the same.
Quote:
the ath-ckm500 are for you! they have a more open design, and thus a more open sound

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #12 of 22
Thanks for your recommendations. Rockit R50 seem truly great, but they're a bit over my budget limit. Now my problem is that I don't know what sound signature would be better for metal. V-shapes like SHE3580 or M4 seem to be satisfying in terms of bass and treble, but if they're lacking mids I'll be possibly uncomfortable with them. There are more balanced ones like Brainwavz M1 (more treble oriented) or Brainwavz M2/Soundmagic e30 (more bassy). Then there are a few which are mid-centered like Vsonic GR06 and MEElectronics A151. Among these, which fit better, to say something, an Iron Maiden, Megadeth or a Pink Floyd song? I'm a real newbie in the IEM world and I don't think I get al those terms correctly, so help me a bit on that matter, please. I want precise, fast but not oversized bass, I know that. Now, what's preferable, more balanced sound with more forward mids or more detail on treble sacrificing mids?

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 22
Please, can anybody with similar taste and some IEM experience resolve my doubt? And please no more over 100$ earphones, I'm looking for a cheap replacement to a 90$ earphones so they must be chaper than that.

Aug 22, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 22
Even someone with the same taste in music won't necessary like the same sound signature.  What did you like and not like about the M3?  I liked Iron Maiden but used the Etymotic ER-4P as my main IEMs for a long time and now my "flagship IEM" is the cheaper MC5 by etymotic.

Whether something V-shaped like the SHE3580 would or would not have enough mids all depends on how V-shaped the particular IEMs are and your own tastes.  As for cable noise, wearing over-ear and/or getting a shirt clip really help.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
M4 doesnt suit the metal genre imo. Didnt like mine at all since its bass is not much , but its great at detailing. It performs like a beast though with an amp.

Most heavy metal isn't bass oriented at all... Unless you hear wannabe bands like disturbed and rammstein

Users who are viewing this thread

Back