IEMs for large ear canal?
May 6, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dougeefresh

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for IEMs that will accommodate large ear canal.
I purchased CX200 and the largest tips of the three don't fit well. There seems to be an opening because the tips don't completely block the passage/sound leakage (I don't get that under water feeling). Because of this SQ is very bad (like listening open cans from outside). I would like a pair of IEMs that will rival/surpass the Ultrasone and Denon in SQ and lots of bass without going the custom ear molding option. $ can be anywhere form $0 to $200.
Thanks!

May 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Am I really that abnormal?
wink.gif

May 7, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 6
From what I have tried, Comply's large size foam tips are very large.

May 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Comply ear foams can go deep, but maybe not wide enough. They were not wide enough for my ear canals. Plus if you have extreme non-circular ear canals, like taller than wider, it can introduce odd fitting problems too where its too tight and painful in one direction, but doesn't block well in the other.

The best bet is to buy an IEM that is already compatible with a wide variety of tips. Many of the westone, shure, etymotic, and ultimate ears can use a wide variety of tips with no or little modifications.

May 8, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 6
There are plenty of people with wide ear canals that are not accommodated by "universal" fit systems. They don't actually accommodate the full diversity of human anatomy. A great example from the world of music is Leon Russell.

The solution is custom fit IEMs. Sorry about your wallet...

May 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 6
The largest eartips of any kind I have ever seen is the large Shure black foam (olive). If that can't fit you, then nothing in the universal IEM will. Custom will be the route to go, be there custom IEM or custom eartips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back