IEM's For Keeps! No ifs, ands, or buts!
Nov 19, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #31 of 71
TF10, even though I'm constantly complaining about jamming the Frankenstein bolts in my ears I still love them. And Denon C710 just cause they sound very unique to me and not a whole lot of people have them. I should be getting my second Westone (UM2) Monday lets see if they get added to this club (and I paid RETAIL for them; I hate paying retail).

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #32 of 71
Sad thing is, I bought the Miracles purely based on the fact I wanted to stop buying and losing money on universals when selling them a month later, well that hasn't and doesn't look like its going to stop. Haha 
wink.gif

Atleast the Mirales are my benchmark now, I doubt a universal is going to touch them in overall presentation and performance anytime soon 

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #33 of 71
The EX1000s have cured my "upgraditis" but I'm still extremely curious about lots of other 'phones. Bought the ceramic Xeport just to see if it was the same as the Meelec CC51. Maybe that's also the case with you, Varley.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #34 of 71
I must say, that I'm loving the Ortofons EQ-5. There is perfection in these, by my ears. But, it makes me want to try other moving armatures, like the Grado Gr10's and the Ortofon Eq-7's. I don't think this ever ends, but at least we're fueling R@D. As long as I can "Love the one I'm with" I'm happy"

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 71
Sad thing is, I bought the Miracles purely based on the fact I wanted to stop buying and losing money on universals when selling them a month later, well that hasn't and doesn't look like its going to stop. Haha 
wink.gif

Atleast the Mirales are my benchmark now, I doubt a universal is going to touch them in overall presentation and performance anytime soon 

^ Its best to have realistic expectations of custom in ear moniters... judging from jokers review, its only 6 point difference to the best universals. Having high expectations of it will make you disappointed in the end (with price considered).

btw i heard the demo miracles and is was so- so next to my universals. (it may improve when full customed)

back to topic;

ie8: because i love its out of head soundstage, and it's my very first top tier, plus it suuper comfy! (big plus!)
sm3: technically better than the ie8, and I really like the sound.

I chose the above pair over:
fx700 (traded away- i'm surprised that so many voted for it- that's why i replied to this thread, i'm also stunned that the person i traded to love them. ??... fx700? htf! imo only :D
tf10 (traded away- they were good though, it was a hard decision- i may get them again on black friday)
ex1000 (demoed only- pretty bright and not enough bass next to ie8... i was looking for an ie8 replacement at the time.)
full custom um merlin (sold, have similarities in sound next to ie8, but not worth the price difference and comfort of the ie8, next to sm3- i prefer the sm3, which were more realistic to my ears)
westone 4 (demoed only- not bad next to ie8, but i was searching for something more impressive)
shure 530 (demoed only- blah, plus hated the stiff wire and crazy price)
fx500 (demoed only- thin sounding)
radius hp-twf21 - (demo only)
radius hp-twf11r (demo only)
ortofon e-q5 (demo only)
hifiman re252 (demo only)
hifiman re262 (demo only)
future sonic atrio mg8 (v1) mg5 (demo only)
shure 535 (demo only)

and a few others i can't remember

i listed the rest not to say that they were bad, but to show that i actually tried and voted with my ears and money.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #38 of 71
Yea - I was a tad disappointed at first - Thinking they were going to BLOW every universal out the water - Now I fully appreciate their sound and in short - They do beat everything I've ever heard, but I still enjoy universals when I want to quickly pop them in etc and don't want the full 'cant hear anything' seal that customs give you -

Next on the list is IE8's, EQ-5, FX700 and SM3 v2
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #39 of 71
I must admit, the Sony EX series is right up there in my list as well. Each time I've parted from the EX600/EX1000, I've found myself revisiting them, whenever the opportunity presents itself. In fact, after a few weeks time, I went back to the EX600 and had forgotten the extent to which I enjoy them. I personally don't experience any sibilance whatsoever, as has been reported by a few others; not with the EX600, nor the EX1000. Peaks on a frequency response curve make little difference to me if I hear no sibilance/harshness to begin with. At under the $200 price point, they still remain my absolute favorites, and come to think of it, second to none for that matter. They sound absolutely fantastic with my entire trance & progressive collection, as well as any and all other genres I listen to from time to time. As it stands, I honestly feel rather complete, at least until my UM Miracles get here. 
biggrin.gif

P.S. The EX600's listed for sale belong to a relative, in case anyone is curious. 
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #40 of 71
My favorite IEMs that I have tried so far are the Audio Technica CK10s. Super fast, detailed, and sparkly at the top.

Nov 27, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 71
I am the owner of:
1)Radius HP TWF 11r
2)Final Audio (Heaven A FI-BA-A1)
3)Vsonic GR07
4)Hifiman RE-Zero
5)and some others etc Jays d-jay, Sherwood-SE777, Sony EX300, Creative ep830 etc

Sold:
1)Westone 2
2)Beyerdynamic DTX100

Keepers & Rankings are:
1) Final Audio Heaven A 
1) Vsonic GR07.
(In terms of sound, I would say Vsonic has a slight edge over Heavens A. I find Vsonic more enjoyable but Heaven A has a slightly better isolation. Both have different sound signature) 
2) Radius HP TWF 11r (Excellent sound but given a lower ranking due to poorer fit & isolation)
3) Sherwood-SE777 (Balance and warm and good value for money)

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #42 of 71
Sony EX1000 and Final Audio FI-BA-SS for being stunningly beautiful with classical, both in their own way. Playaz N1 for being the most amazing bang/buck I've ever come across.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #44 of 71
I suppose the GR10 can be thrown in, alongside my e-Q5, as the two sound extremely alike, with very, very subtle differences. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back