IEMs for around $80 - All types of music but tight bass a must
Nov 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zerocoolhifi

100+ Head-Fier
Long time listener, first time caller. I am currently looking for a set of IEMs in the $80 price range. Have no preference but do currently own a set of monster turbine pro gold which I love - i am looking for a set for my son. Considering monster turbine, shure 215, etymotic hf3/5, head direct re0, jvc fx3x (heard these have good bass but a bit muddy), sony mh1c. Kind of looking for the best of all worlds here, deep tight bass, punchy midrange and clear highs (not too much to ask right) - thanks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 17
The JVC FXD80, Yamaha EPH100 are great for the price and they offers same as you are looking for in the IEMs. JVC FX3X offers tight punchy bass which is very high quality and overall it's crisp clear sounding and match well with almost all genres music. But Turbine are pretty good too because it offers deeper reverbing bass and overall very detailed. The other IEMs like RE0 are amazing for current disconted price at head-direct and if add Fiio E5 in chain then bass will deifinatly improve further, BTW RE262 are steel at current head-direct price $99. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Currently leaning toward the re-0 at the black Friday price and I also added the Sony XB90ex to the list. Can anyone rank these so far or offer your top choice for the type of listening experience I am looking for. Thanks again.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 17
If you want tight bass the last thing you want is RE0.

Take up ZARIMS suggestions, go for JVC FXD80, Yamaha EPH100.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 17
How would you say those compare to the monster turbines or the etymotics? Thanks

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 17
How would you say those compare to the monster turbines or the etymotics? Thanks

I was going to suggest Monster Turbine, Etymotics are also known to be a touch bass light. I'll tell you what I think?

I think you could seriously spend $35 on SoundMAGIC E10 and be just as satisfied as a pair of Turbines. I have both here, I actually prefer the E10.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 17
How would compare the sound magic to the turbines in other aspects of sound quality?

Nov 26, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 17
How would compare the sound magic to the turbines in other aspects of sound quality?

SoundMAGIC E10 have slightly forward mids, relaxed but sparkle treble and good tight bass punch, with a slight amount of mid bass. They're rather musical and get your foot tapping, suit all genre's without a problem.

Turbines would go deeper in sub-bass but the bass is a touch loose or flabby, the mids are smooth with decent clarity but the treble is a little back seated, kind of that mainstream inoffensive treble heard on consumer brands. I tried several IEM's at my local mall. and was never happy, only after finding Head-Fi and reading up on E10 did I start to see a future in my IEM journey.

Here's a review on the E10.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/581119/review-soundmagic-e10

I've had the Yamaha EPH-100, they're really nice if you can outlay the cash, they have the bass you want, a little loose in control but overall tight, goes deep in sub-bass / slightly mid bass focused but their mids are liquid and vocals sound amazing, separation is also a word EPH-100 use highly. Bass doesn't bleed either into the mids.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 17
Tight means controlled and without extra decay yes? If so then the RE0 has tight bass. It is very slightly above flat and for sure much less than the monster's the op has experience with.

If one wants deeper more emphasized bass and clearer more pronounced highs I would recommend the FXD80.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 17
So we are now at the JVC FXD80 (around $90, a little harder to find?), UE700 (around $109), SoundMAGIC E10 (about $35) and Turbines (around $80). I do not like the looks of the Yamaha. Tight bass with some quality sub bass (again not flabby or muddy) and clear and crisp highs/mid highs. I don't care which ones but if I get the same result for $35 that I would get for $109, obviously we go with $35 but I have no problem going up to $109 if I get better sound. How would you guys rank these for the ones that you have heard.  Thanks!!

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 17
But how would you compare those to the ones I listed and how are they for the music type I am listening to...

Nov 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
But how would you compare those to the ones I listed and how are they for the music type I am listening to...

I've not heard them personally, but the sound descriptions match what you want. Plus, they'll not be at this price again for at least another year. They usually sell for upwards of $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back