IEMs for ~100 - 120$ (shock after reading rewiews).
Nov 13, 2016 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tomo90

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been looking for a new earphones for a about 100 - 120 USD.

Currenty I am using full size headphones Audio Technica ATH50 + Dragonfly 2 DAC and I am quite happy with it.
But I need something for a walk, not full size. I have been looking at amazon, and when I checked reviews for this budget I was shocked because almost all of the stuff has got such a low ratings, from 3 - to maximum 4 stars.
I believe for this money I can get quite good in ear headphones.
The best choice from amazon is this one: (looking at ratings).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1MORE-E1001-Triple-Headphones-Microphone-x/dp/B01DEYUKOO/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1479080945&sr=1-9
But I have never heard about 1MORE brand before.
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-E80-Ear-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0133ACE8O/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1479082423&sr=1-9

And there is so many threads on the forum about different brands, I would be grateful for any advice, I am sure your knowledge is better than mine, even if I would spend hours reading this forum.
Thanks

PS. What do you think about wireless IEMs ?

Nov 13, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't mean to make it worse, but they are as many different IEMs that do different things. The market has become very specialized to specific sound signatures. A Balanced Armature will sound differently from a Dynamic Driver which can sound differently from a hybrid (BA and Dynamic together). Throw in the casing materials as they can affect the signature and wire configurations and it can begin to make your head spin.

I have never tried a wireless IEM or Phone. I like my custom cables...

So given all that, unless you're adventurous and pick something you think you may like (other threads will give you impressions on what people are hearing) and try some, you'll never know from just reading. Return them if you don't like the way they sound and start over. Best if you have a brick and mortar store you can visit with your favorite player and test a bunch out. Otherwise, it is trial and error. Most of us do that and stick with the ones we like.

Now, you mentioned the 1More Triple. I have that one and for the money, it is a really decent piece. Another lower cost one if the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear. For a little more, I would suggested the DQSM D2.

I would suggest going to some of the Knowledge Zenith ones KZ-ATE or KZ-ED10 are both decent and won't set you back more than $25 (at most) each. The ED9 and GR are also good and can be had for about $9 each. Try some of those first and see how they work for you. Once you get a feel for what they can deliver and what you like, then try some more costly ones. This way if you don't like the ED9 you're only out $9.

In the end, only you can tell what you like. Start cheaper and then move up as you get a better handle on what to spend. Be forewarned, it is addictive and can lead to a depleted wallet. Look in my profile (or anyone who's been posting a lot) to see what they still have versus what they have sold.

Good luck in you search. Have fun listening.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 7
If you like the ATH50 I would recommend you look for an IEM with a similar sound signature. In my quest to find an IEM that was similar to my favorite Sennheiser HD650, I ended up first with a model that was too "accurate" (way too much treble and no fullness), then got another that was too bass oriented (in jazz the bass sounded like the lead instrument). Finally a friend loaned me the RHA MA750 and they struck home - just what I wanted. I am not saying that the RHA is what you need - just that sound signature is important, and you need to find your own and then find an IEM that matches that sig. My son has the ATH50X which I have used some and my impression is that it has a very well balanced sound - certainly not a basshead phone. Many, many IEMs aim for mucho bass so be careful.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for your answers,

I will try to order or loan these ones for a test:

RHA MA750 or RHA MA750i - But I dont know which version is better, with or without "i" ?  Also many rewiews says this ones are the best in price level. What is your opinion about it?
1MORE E1001.
Sony XBA-H1.
Fiio EX1.

and few cheaper to compare difference:
RHA S500.
KZ ATE.

If you have any experience with them, it would be great to read your post with opinion.
If you think is good to throw out any headphones from this list, please give me a suggestion.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 7

RHA MA750. What is your opinion about it?

When I first tried the 750 it sounded good with my smartphone. The volume needed to be set a bit above 1/2 for typical pop music but was nearly maxed out for high-dynamic-range stuff like jazz combos and classical. This has been my experience with other IEMs too.

I rejected the RHA at that time because it did not sound good with my desktop amp. Plenty of volume but strange frequency response issues, boomy bass, music just sounded wrong. I believe the amp had too high an output impedance, and did not match well with the 16 Ohm RHA. I later got a desktop amp with a near-zero output impedance and was able to demo them again. This time they sounded great.

As I said previously, they have a sound signature similar to my Sennheiser HD650. Warm and luscious, makes most genres of music sound real GOOD. Probably not "accurate", in the audiophile sense, but very musical and easy to listen to. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 7

But I need something for a walk, not full size. I have been looking at amazon, and when I checked reviews for this budget I was shocked because almost all of the stuff has got such a low ratings, from 3 - to maximum 4 stars.
I believe for this money I can get quite good in ear headphones.

Did you actually read the reviews, particularly the ones with low ratings? Because ratings (even high ratings) can be due to the reviewer than the product. Some expect too much (or too little), maybe because they haven't really got a good reference from their past usage, like how a Beats or cheap bass boosted earbud user will try something recommended by someone who actually knows audio, then give a really low rating because he can't feel his brain vibrating inside his skull. Sometimes some people give a low score based on a product arriving DOA, which can sometimes be due to the shipping service than the manufacturer or the product by itself. In other cases it can be people not giving 5 stars (ie so they don't bring up the average) because as much as they think it's a good value for a low price, these are people who don't consider paying double or more for something slightly better to be bad diminishing returns, or could be an audio guy who simply has hyperacusis and hates treble or has age-based high frequency hearing loss and can't hear treble unless it's highly emphasized.

​I mean, this is just audio, it happens in every product. I've seen reviews for carbon steel or cast iron skillets that go "lying bastards, it is absolutely not non-stick!" and they don't know what seasoning is. If you don't know what seasoning is either, you'll either do what these people did, or believe that everyone else is a liar and stick with Teflon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back