IEM's...Foam Tips versus Rubber Tips
Dec 20, 2005 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
As a general rule, will foamies always provide a better seal or is it personal preference?

The foamies are a little more cumbersome to use and can get dirtier much quicker but it seems to me that whenever a user is having difficulty getting a proper seal and trying to maximize bass, it is often suggested to use the foamies instead.

This is confusing me in my search for my next IEM. Currently, with E2’s they ONLY sound good to me with the foamies. Does this mean I may only be able to get a good fit with other foamie-tipped IEM’s? (like UM 1’s). I would certainly like to move to a rubber tipped solution. Are Super.Fi Pros easy to get a good seal?

Dec 20, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 16
It is a very personal thing, but if your ears are the right size for the foamies, then they usually sound better then the rubber tips. Personally, I prefer the foam over everything else.
etysmile.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
As a general rule, will foamies always provide a better seal or is it personal preference?

The foamies are a little more cumbersome to use and can get dirtier much quicker but it seems to me that whenever a user is having difficulty getting a proper seal and trying to maximize bass, it is often suggested to use the foamies instead.

This is confusing me in my search for my next IEM. Currently, with E2’s they ONLY sound good to me with the foamies. Does this mean I may only be able to get a good fit with other foamie-tipped IEM’s? (like UM 1’s). I would certainly like to move to a rubber tipped solution. Are Super.Fi Pros easy to get a good seal?

If you want some... uhm... opinions... you should check out the other thread that's going on about the UM2 sound, which seems to have become a ::cough:: polite discussion about tips.

Foamies provide more isolation than the other standard tips. Having said that, there's probably someone lurking around willing to say otherwise. As for dirty, maybe, but you can clean the plastic tips with soap and water.

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 16
With my E3c's i found that a modded tri-flange (with the biggest flange cut off, not the smallest as is more comon) gave me the best sound, the foamies were a tad too muffled for me.

HOWEVER, the bi-flange were too uncomfortable, so I use foamies.

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 16
I clean my foam tips about once a week in warm soapy water. its like cleaning a sponge.

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 16
Our ear canals are all different, so some tips will give you a better seal than others, resulting in a less simbilant and more bassy sound, which on many IEMS gives it a better sound. Note however if you get a perfect seal with most tips, it should be a very similar sound.

The super.fi pro medium rubber tips seal my ears GREAT, however, for my little brother, they wouldn't seal no matter what. Foam did offer a LITTLE better seal for me, but not much better than the medium rubber tips. In general, foam tips will give you the best seal. As taken from the Earphonesolutions.com directions:

The foam sleeves will, in general, provide the best results.

Dec 20, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 16
i would say foamies for the simple reason that none of the other tips that came with my e4's fit into my ear like the foamies do. foamies are good because they shape themselves while in the ear which means every available space is taken up by the foam.

the only ting i dont like about them is how easily dirty they get. i mean the rubber tips can be cleaned with a cloth but the foamies need like half a day, soaking and drying.

ive also found that when i first used my foamies, they were easy to scrunch up and it would take long to expand. ive only washed them once and they seem to come back into shape a little quicker.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't realize that so many people used the foamies. I figured I was one of the minority.

I think I am going with UM 1's. Heck, for $109 and they are just like E2's with better treble....I can't go wrong.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't realize that so many people used the foamies. I figured I was one of the minority.

I think I am going with UM 1's. Heck, for $109 and they are just like E2's with better treble....I can't go wrong.

The E2c's treble benefits greatly from the Kramer mod:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133131

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 16
Yea, I did the Kramer mod already and I agree it helps a little bit. I am just looking for a change but I'm trying to keep the cost under $150. I think I have seen every post on UM 1's and all seem to agree it is a step up.....but ER6I's intrigue me...however I suspect an E2 appreciator like myself will, no doubt, think the ER6i's will be lacking bass...particularly unamped, right???

Dec 21, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Yea, I did the Kramer mod already and I agree it helps a little bit. I am just looking for a change but I'm trying to keep the cost under $150. I think I have seen every post on UM 1's and all seem to agree it is a step up.....but ER6I's intrigue me...however I suspect an E2 appreciator like myself will, no doubt, think the ER6i's will be lacking bass...particularly unamped, right???

I have seen Etymotic ER-4s hang around hear from $135-$155. Now that is a deal. It would be a huge step up and if the ER-6s intrigued you, then this is a no brainer. Best headphone for $150ish, because its such a major deal.

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 16
one questions to ask here...

i am using the 6si as well... and i couldn't get the seal with the tri-thingy... so i used the foamies and it's great.

so, my questions: i am worried about the foamies getting dirty and according to ety's official website, the foamies are disposable.

i am thinking where in hell can i find replacements... i am from malaysia...

or can i just wash it (carefully) and i can still use the 2 flesh-tone abit obscene foamies again...?

thanks for the reply

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 16
I have been using the same pair of foamies for almost a year and they still look new. As needed, I fully submerge them for about 1 minute into a shotglass size container of straight rubbing alcohol. Then I roll them in my fingers for just a few seconds to agitate the impurities out of them and then do the same under running water for a few seconds to rinse them. Let them dry out over night and they are like new.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 16
Spyro and others:

I don't recall whose thread I found this in a couple of years ago, but this SleepSoft modification greatly enhanced the seal and fit for my Shure E2 - they're still my IEM's of choice for knockin' around and travel when I don't have to worry about stuffing them in my pocket and damaging them if the case I use is not available (I don't like the seeming daintiness of the Super.Fi 5 Pro and I don't like how relatively insecure them feel in my ears, but I love the sound).

http://www.earplugs.de/Cont/Plugs/SleepSoft.asp

Simply order these earplugs, take out the plastic part and cut the rubber stem of the in-ear portion to desired length and slip over the ends of the E2s. The fit, seal and comfort are great and easily and consistently achieved in quick fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back