IEMs best suited for wide musical and occasional movie taste, with a hiphop/rap musical preference
May 12, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

big-country

Head-Fier
After reading up on a lot of the reviews and several of the guides for first time posters and those aspiring to maximize their listening potential, I've decided to join the community and seek out the help of those more knowledgable than I. As my title states I am looking for a set of IEMs, I would prefer under 100 range, but would be willing to explore options as high as 150-180 range depending on how much of a difference it will make with my listening experience. My experience with higher end IEMs is basically non existant, I previously owned a set of Jbuds J3, and currently own a set of studio BBD (Beats).

Essentially what I am looking for in the IEM is as mentioned in the title, I want something that is suited for a wide musical taste, although I do have a strong preference to rap/hiphop. I listen to everything though from a classical compesition, to the soft rock of the 70s, the hair metal and pop of the 80s, and some metal. I also love watching movies while I travel, so having a nice set of headphones to ampilfy the experience would be great as well.

The things I would most desire would have to be, a nice deep hard hitting bass much like those obtained from a good sub, especailly since climatic scens in movies and rap almost demand that aspect, I would love to have a set that is not limited to just bass though and can also let me experience the mids and highs as well. The vocal experience is also something I would like to be nice so the voices come through clearly. Another thing I would like is durability, as I would be traveling with them, as well as using them while running and lifting weights.

From the reading and research I have done I saw that the Klipsch S4 does offer a lot of bass for it's price range, but may be lacking in the other areas I am interested in. The higher end options I saw consistently coming up however were; VSonic GR07, Atrio Future Sonic MG7, and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. There were others mentioned but these are ones that I saw consistently reviewed as offereing all the things I was interested in. I am open to suggestions on other equipment though, and appreciate any and all help recieved. Thank you guys in advance for it, I am trying to learn on the go here and love the chance at learning something new from the experience of others.

May 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 33
The GR07's might be a bit too flat through the midbass for you but I highly recommend them regardless, pretty accurate... Maybe look into the Yamaha EPH-100, and if isolation isn't a concern the JVC FX500. All around $150, give or take $10-20. Don't fall for the fake FX500's on eBay for 50 bucks though.

Hopefully some other head-fiers can recommend some sets for under 100. Good luck.

May 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 33
May 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:
I personally recommend the Vsonic GR06. I found it better than the TF10 and the S4. It has a large soundstage, is well balanced, with just a touch of mid-bass emphasis so the genres you listen to can truly shine. The vocals and instrumental timbre are also very good. Not to mention, it costs less than $70 from this authorized dealer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vsonic-GR06-/220994466349?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item33744bf22d#ht_1010wt_1139

Can you recommend any substitutes to the GR06 that can be worn down? It's a shame because they really seem to be one of the top sounding phones in its price bracket.

May 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Can you recommend any substitutes to the GR06 that can be worn down? It's a shame because they really seem to be one of the top sounding phones in its price bracket.

Sorry, no. Is there any specific reason why you can't wear over the ear phones?

May 13, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 33
Thanks for the replies, I definately appreciate the suggestions and will get to looking through their specs and reviews and see what the ones mentioned have to offer!

I do think I want something with a lot of bass kick, bassy, that really gives that nice earth shaking thunderous low that I love to hear from a good sub. Sadly I think that might be where I lose something in regards to my mids, highs and vocals though, possibly not, you tell me? I realized this after a long break from listening to my studio beats until today and noticing that while they do sound great I still felt as if they were lacking a bit in the bass department in the few songs I cycled through them before my player sadly died due to lack of charge :frowning2:

May 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 33
Try the Hisoundaudio Popo, enough Bass to shake ur teeth out, while not smearing up the Mids or Highs.

May 13, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 33
Yea lol Ironically enough I was just reading Dsnutz review of the ckm500 haha. They def havce my interest peaked, I can now see about the warnings of the damage to your wallet with this hobby B)! I definately have a lot on my plate to consider at this point, but it's never a bad thing when the end result is increasing your listening pleasure! Always nice to have suggestions from those with similar taste as well, because then they've got an idea of what you're looking for and what you listen to :wink:

May 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #12 of 33
Yea that was what I read about them in several different threads from various places, kinda worries me to spend that much when I could either spend a lil more and get way better results or the same price range to have IEMs that haven't listed that as a concern :S

May 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 33
have you considered the FA Eterna? i had the V1, and i like it much more than the PoPo. the bass while still big and powerful is better put than the PoPo. mids are a bit more fwd, but the highs arent its strength.  detail and clarity is also better on the PoPo. i wish i could say the Xears TD III but the build quality and driver flex is HORRIBLE

May 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #14 of 33
I hadn't, however have seen them suggested for similar taste before, the more and more I read however the more I am starting to lean towards the MG7s. I'm still not 100%, lol sadly this is the dilema I have with every electronics purchase. I research it to death in order to know exactly what I am geting, what to expect, and to make sure it is "for me." The way things are going though I don't see this being a sudden impulse purchase as I don't want my first set of higher end IEMs to disappoint and turn me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back