IEMs benefitting from pink noise burn-in?
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
Will it do anything? Someone saw that I thought my Skullcandy FMJ's were sub-par, and PM'd me suggesting this, saying that doing it for one night had done wonders for his.

Will it actually affect them? Or will it simply be power of suggestion if I end up hearing a difference? I've had them playing pink noise for about an hour now, but I thought I'd ask you guys about this before I go and leave them overnight.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 7
Burning-in gear is merely to accelerate the effects of listening to music through them. I wouldn't bother. You bought them to listen to music through, so do that.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 7
From my own experience with multiple IEM, the effect and result vary from IEM to IEM. Some benefits quite a bit, but most show very minor, if any, improvement after burn-in. In very general term, dynamic seems to benefit more from burn-in than balanced armature IEM (but not always the case).

My advise to the OP is, if you have the time, try spending 24~50hrs burn-in by playing music though it before serious audition; If not, just listening to it normally is fine. One thing you shouldn't expect is that burn-in will totally transform a cheap pair of lousy sounding IEM to very good sounding IEM that worth multiple times its price - it simply won't happen that way.

Also, regardless of whether you believe (at all) burn-in as an psychological effect or a real physical change on the IEM, it is still an improvement to the listener's ears. Even in the worst case, the only result is nothing happens. So what is there to lose by playing a few hours of music on IEM, or any headphone in that matter?

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #6 of 7
I was the one who recommended it because I read that he was unhappy with them and the same thing happened to me. The problem with just letting it happen naturally is, I didn't like the way they sounded with a short test. So I pretty much immediately set them to burn in overnight in hopes to save them, and to me they sounded a lot better afterwords.

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I burned them in with pink noise for about 12 hours overnight. I didn't really notice much of a difference. If there is any difference at all, it's that they lost a bit of their fun sound and gained accuracy (sounds are a little less muddy and short, quick sounds are shorter and quicker). I'm probably going to keep doing this to see if I get a more obvious effect. Does anyone know how long the dynamic drivers in FMJ's might take to burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back