IEMs and walking
Jun 13, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 21
I've found that the best thing you can do if you can't alter your steps and walk softly is to try and time your steps with the beat of the music. I've got certain tunes in my walking playlist that I've found best. After a while you don't notice the "Microphonics" of your footsteps pounding in your ears.
The sad part is that I love Jazz with my E500s but it just doesn't go with my walking, quiet easy-going music and my heavy step do not mix!
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 21
I find that it seems to be partially dependant on tips as well as the different earphones, though I seem to get less with my UM2 than I did with my er6i or e2c

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else hear their footsteps while walking with IEMs (e500 in my case)? The thud sound of my footsteps are conducting through the IEMs. Anyone else experience this.? Is there any way to minimize this as it is somewhat distracting.

if you are not already, looping the cords behind then over your ears and picking up slack with the slider will help minimize microphonics.. and as mentioned above timing your steps to the beat helps it almost disappear completely.

this is one of the drawbacks of IEMs in general though.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 21
Assuming you already have the wires going up and around your ears, you might also try a shirt clip to further reduce microphonics from traveling up the wires. Though to some extent this thumping is unavoidable with IEMs. I currently have e500s, though I used to have the Westone UM2, and I recall experiencing significantly less microphonics with them. Westone uses a unique braided cable design that reduces microphonics and makes them feel lighter as well. Though the Westone UM2 would probably be a small step down in sound quality from the e500, the new Westone 3 is supposed to come out sometime this summer ($399) and it's expected to rival the e500.

Jun 13, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 21
the problem is vibrations going up the spine + plugged ears. maybe some cushioned trainers or rollerskates would work better?

Jun 13, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the problem is vibrations going up the spine + plugged ears. maybe some cushioned trainers or rollerskates would work better?

you're right, that's exactly what the problem is, not microphonics from the cable. I never considered the spine being a conductor. I wonder why this problem was less pronounced with the UM2s for me. Maybe I wasn't getting as good of a seal?

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by doxaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that the best thing you can do if you can't alter your steps and walk softly is to try and time your steps with the beat of the music.

Must be amusing for bystanders.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 21
i don't think this is a microphonic problem.

it won't go away unless you can cushion your own steps! but IEMs just work this way i guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back