IEMs and jogging
Oct 11, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kilgoretrout

100+ Head-Fier
I need a pair of headphones to replace my current IEMs which fall out or need to by re-adjusted every few minutes when I am jogging.

My primary concern is to find headphones that won't have this problem. I've been considering a street style headphone, but I prefer the design of an IEM. Can I find an IEM <$50 that won't have this problem, or would an around-the-neck solution be much better? The IEMs I have been looking at are the Soundmagic PL-50 and PL-30 and the Head-Direct RE2.

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 13
Sennheiser has a few made specifically for sports and exercise.

I personally use the Shure Se210's, and I agree how many earphones fall out of your ears when jogging or whatever haha.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 13
You need IEMs that are designed to be worn over-the ear natively. I've been using PL30s as my active IEMs for a while. PL50's will do even better, I think, since they are a lot lighter and thus less likely to fall out.

RE2's are really not what you want. Not only are they not designed to be worn over-the-ear, they actually make it especially difficult to do that because of the plastic stems. Also, Soundmagic cables are in general much less microphonic.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 13
|joker|, you seem to be a big fan of im-590, and you obviously have some good things to say about PL50's as well.

I am looking for a pair of IEM's for jogging/running myself - gotta have low microphonics and stay in ear - I consider my dying e2c's were quite good in that regard. Sound wise, I want something natural, warm and non-fatiguing with rich mids and smooth top end (do not mind slight roll-off).

That being said, I was looking at these four:
Soundmagic PL-50
iMetal im-590
Klipsch S4
vmoda vibe

The cheaper the merrier of course, but I don't think I wanna go over $80 (hence the klipsch being the most expensive out of the four). Any thoughts?
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: oops, I meant PL30, in your case. I am hoping this would attract some more opinions on the matter.

Oct 11, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 13
@MikoLayer

I really think the PL30/PL50 are a step above the others you mentioned for use while excersicing. The Klipschs and Maximos are also extremely comfortable, but they just don't sit as flush with your ears. The V-Modas are just your regular straight-barrel IEMs, and though it's been a while since I had mine, I don't think they're designed as nicely for jogging, nor do they sound as good.

The sound of the PL50s also satisfies your requirements quite well - their strength is in the smoothness and detailedness of the mids. They are one of the least fatiguing IEMs I own, and they don't roll off too quickly at the top.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks, I am so ready to get a pair of PL50, except I am not sure how to place order on dealperfect website lol. All I am seeing is adding an item to the wishlist, maybe its OOS over there?

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 13
Dealperfect has been having intermittent problems with their checkout system and paypal. Soundmagic products have been coming in and out (mostly out) of stock. Several places stock the PL50 now, including mp4nation.net & focalprice.com.

Oct 12, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 13
Looks like focalprice doesn't carry PL50 at the moment. Dealperfect is still cheaper, but MP4nation isn't far off. Any experience with/thoughts on the bundled E3/E5 portable amps? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 13
Focalprice carries the PL50. Also they carry the PL21 for a ridiculous price.

As for amping, the PL50 really don't need it, despite the spec'd 55ohm impedance. Unless you want the bass boost of the E5, which I don't think is necessary.

Oct 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 13
Hm, does any one have any experiences jogging with the RE0's?

mine just arrived and i've yet to have time to try them out.

should i bring an additional pair of headphones just in case?

Oct 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by achow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, does any one have any experiences jogging with the RE0's?

mine just arrived and i've yet to have time to try them out.

should i bring an additional pair of headphones just in case?

They really aren't ideal for it, but if you wear them over the ear and use a shirt clip, you should be alright. Make sure you choose proper-size tips or you will lose seal a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back