IEM with the most bass. Superfi 10vi's not getting the job done.
Oct 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

thapchild

Head-Fier
90% of my listening is through my iphone.  10% through my pc.

I'm an audiophile... and a bass head.  I've owned competition winning car systems, and enjoy every genre of music, that being said, I'm a bass head.  Like everyone else who's asked this question a million times...  I purchased my 10vi's 3 or so years ago, and they sound crisp, and clear, but the bass has always been lacking.

Recently i purchased an iPhone 5, and the new "pods" that they ship with it have more bass than my 10vi.  I finally couldn't take it any longer.  I wanted to get the UE 5EB, but they are no longer for sale.

My question to you is, what IEM has the most bass?  Sony has an XB in ear that's gold in color with no iphone controls, so i'm not really sold on it.  UE doesn't make Extra Bass IEM's anymore.  The IE-20XB knock offs aren't for sale either.

I don't want just "good" bass.  Reviews of the 10vi said they had "good" bass... (not true).  I want the MOST bass possible in an IEM.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 28
Start by looking at dynamic iems instead of Ba (balanced armatures). Monster's iem range (gold or copper) might be a good place to start, Westone 3 could be another good choice (all be it ba again).

Cheers

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 28
Had those UE 5 EB. Bass was quite good, but the highs were way too sharp. I use Turbine Pro Gold on my iPhone now and they are perfect. Bass quantity and quality is imho superb. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 28
I would take a look at the monsters,how much are you looking to spend?

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
Start by looking at dynamic iems instead of Ba (balanced armatures). Monster's iem range (gold or copper) might be a good place to start, Westone 3 could be another good choice (all be it ba again).
Cheers

I'm in the same situation as OP but I owned the Monster Copper and it did not satisfy my bass needs. I mean they are really clear but the lows don't hit to my liking.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 28
Thanks for all the replies.  I appreciate each and everyone that replied for their time.

I found a pair of IE-20XB on ebay for $200 and purchased them... probably hastily.  If I don't like them I will try to resell them, so please keep this thread going.  I might also put my 10vi up for sale as well if I'm ready to make switch to the 5EB.

Does anyone know of a retail chain where you can sample some of the different IEMS?  I know bestbuy lets you try "beats by dre" headphones... and possibly some skullcandy, but I don't think they had any IEMs (obviously you would need new tips every time.)

Quote:
Cheers

I'll have to research the difference between dynamic iems vs balanced.  Obviously there is some description in the name, but if you can elaborate I'd appreciate it, while i google it more.

Quote:
Had those UE 5 EB. Bass was quite good, but the highs were way too sharp. I use Turbine Pro Gold on my iPhone now and they are perfect. Bass quantity and quality is imho superb. 

Hopefully I won't have the same issues with the highs being too sharp, but that's a review I've read several times from the 5EBs.

Quote:
I would take a look at the monsters,how much are you looking to spend?

$200-$250 ballpark.  If I went higher I'd have to hear em first.  I spent $400 for my 10vi when they came out, and I've used them faithfully for the last 3 years, but I think they were slightly over hyped.

Quote:
Sennheiser IE8/IE80 will get the job done

I've heard good things about these IEMs, however, like the 10vi where reviews claim "powerful bass" I guess "powerful" and "balanced" aren't the same.  I'd think more top dollar IEMs focus on "balance" which is fine, powerful would make me want a little more than average/balanced.

I wish I could hear these before purchasing them.

Quote:
Atrios for good bass quality and quantity... but I didn't find the TF10s lacking

I looked up some of the Atrios, they were god ugly if I remember correctly... even cheap looking.  I think that for the non "bass head" the 10vi are amazing. (and now on sale for $160 on amazon since they are no longer in production).

I love the mids/highs, even the balance in my 10vi.  But being a bass head when i put on some old Dre, or Snoop, even new Eminem/Drake I want to "feel" the beat, not have to try and imagine it.  While listening to alternative/pop, the 10vi are amazing.  When listening to Rap/Hip-Hop I want a little more that my iphone as an amp leaves me lacking.

Quote:
Sony xb90ex FTW

They look the same as the gold ones sold here in the US.  For the price, I'd try them if they had iPhone controls, or removable cables... alas they don't. (i do like the black way more).

Oct 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 28
I have both - Sennheiser IE8 and Monster Turbine Pro. The turbine do have more bass, the overall performance is on the same level. Highs, Mids, clearity, but the bass is imho a lot better. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 28
I had the IE8 and the Turbine Pro Gold at the same time. With the bass dial set to max, it easily had more bass than the gold's. With the bass dial set to minimum, the Gold's had more of it but the IE8 had more midbass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back