IEM with good accuracy under $60
Jun 23, 2015 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GN-0015

100+ Head-Fier
Been out of the game for quite a long time for various reasons, now my ER4P has no sound from the left (cable issue, I will replace it in a few months), my RE-0's crumbled a few months ago after heavy use, and my Atrio... I can't really stand the sound after being infatuated with the ER4P for such a long time, though it's my only IEM that's working now so I have no choice but to use it for now. So my payday is a few days away, and I need a new pair. Here are the main things that I want from it:

1. Flat sound. I don't expect it to sound as good as ER4P, but something close to it is good enough.
2. Can be worn under helmet. I'm going to use it on my way to/back from work.
3. Small, long nozzles are preferred. I had some fit issues with RE-0 and could only get good fit with foam tips.
4. I can accept a bit of sound coloration at the treble and mid, but not really with bass. I tried VSonic VSD1 a while ago but think it was a bit too bassy and the treble didn't shine enough. Vocals was nice though

I've been eyeing Soundmagic PL-50, Meelec A-161 and Shure SE-112. Which one of those fit my criteria the most? Any other recommendations are welcomed.

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 13
Does it fit like RE-0? I had terrible experience with those other when using some Comply tips. Those tips were great with RE-0 but they don't last long and are pretty expensive and hard to get in Malaysia.

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Going by measurements I see that the VSD1 has 1 or 2 dB more mid bass than GR07bass and significantly reduced upper-mid to low-treble range. Maybe you can get around these deficits with some EQ?

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 13
  Going by measurements I see that the VSD1 has 1 or 2 dB more mid bass than GR07bass and significantly reduced upper-mid to low-treble range. Maybe you can get around these deficits with some EQ?

That's actually a pretty good idea, except that I've sold my VSD1 to a buddy. I'll see if I can borrow it back for a week.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 13
  Does it fit like RE-0? I had terrible experience with those other when using some Comply tips. Those tips were great with RE-0 but they don't last long and are pretty expensive and hard to get in Malaysia.

it's not too far from the RE-0 fit, as both are straight barrel design. while i didn't have any issues with the RE0, the E80 fits better. 
maybe an over-ear iem design should fit you better. like the GR07, if you can afford the price

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 13
  it's not too far from the RE-0 fit, as both are straight barrel design. while i didn't have any issues with the RE0, the E80 fits better. 
maybe an over-ear iem design should fit you better. like the GR07, if you can afford the price

I think if the RE-0 nozzles were a bit longer and angled like those cheap Philips earphones, I could have had a better fit with them. It was always like I wasn't sure if it was too deep, or too shallow, and sometimes it wouldn't go in straight if you know what I mean.

I've read your E80 review, and it's pretty interesting. Is it a new model because I can't find it anywhere in my country. And an ebay search gave me a bunch of bras with E80 names on them. Yep, no kidding.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 13
OK, it's time to give an update.

I managed to borrow back the VSD1 that I sold to my friend and trying to EQ it, but I never really got it right especially with my Sony Walkman and Lenovo smartphone. After a week of trying, it was time to return the VSD1 to my friend and I remembered that I have an old TDK BA200 with the extension cable being spoiled (damn those flat cables). I bought a cheap extension cable and lived with my old TDK for a few weeks until my annual bonus arrived, and my budget was increased by a few more bucks. Then I saw someone selling his Westone UM Pro 10 at a local forum for a good price, so I jumped on it.

Now... on to the Westone. Listening to it for the first time, it sounded surprisingly more bassy than the TDK BA200. But it had more detail and easier to drive too, now I can turn the volume on my Walkman slightly lower. Changing to the silicon tips, the bass became a bit relaxed and the highs got a bit more prominent, although not by much. I wish the treble could have more sparkle but this isn't too bad.

In the end, I'm happy with my Westone. Some weaknesses here and there but the detail I got from it is far better than VSD1 and BA200. I still miss my ER4 though, gonna recable it at the end of the year.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 13
  if you love ety, why not get the new mk5? 

Not available yet in my country, and I'm not sure if I can wear it under a helmet. And... even if it's possible, I think it'd give too much isolation during riding which isn't too safe. I can still hear other vehicles around me with my UM Pro 10.

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 13
  Not available yet in my country, and I'm not sure if I can wear it under a helmet. And... even if it's possible, I think it'd give too much isolation during riding which isn't too safe. I can still hear other vehicles around me with my UM Pro 10.

In many places it is illegal ride a scooter or motorcycle while wearing headphones or earphones in both ears. Even if it isn't illegal, using isolating earphones when in or near traffic is extremely dangerous.

"Kruger cited the December 2010 accident in which a 21-year-old man listening to music blaring through his headphones on a Manhattan street corner was crushed by a truck after he failed to hear the vehicle’s backup signal. "

http://handsfreeinfo.com/distracted-walking-pedestrians-law/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11796132

Aug 6, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 13
  In many places it is illegal ride a scooter or motorcycle while wearing headphones or earphones in both ears. Even if it isn't illegal, using isolating earphones when in or near traffic is extremely dangerous.

"Kruger cited the December 2010 accident in which a 21-year-old man listening to music blaring through his headphones on a Manhattan street corner was crushed by a truck after he failed to hear the vehicle’s backup signal. "

http://handsfreeinfo.com/distracted-walking-pedestrians-law/

http://www.head-fi.org/t/775939/unsafe-use-of-isolating-earphones-or-headphones#post_11796132

I'm already riding without a license so about the illegal stuff, it's out of the window. And I've been riding while wearing IEM for a while, I'm used to it, I know how to keep myself safe, and I always keep my eyes on my side mirrors. And like I said earlier, with UM Pro 10 I'm not totally blocked from ambient noise, I can still hear other vehicles around me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back