IEM with bass like Hippo VB/MTPG, Clarity like RE0?
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

racer_x124

100+ Head-Fier
So far my search for IEMs has been unlucky but I think a mix similar to this would be prefect. Any suggestions that are similar to the deep bass of the Hippo VB but with the nice mids and highs of the RE0?

So far I have had:
Head-Direct RE0
Hippo VB
Monster Turbine Pro Gold
Victor/JVC FX700 (for sale)
Ultimate Ears Tripple.Fi 10
Altec Lansing UHP206
IFeelU EX2
JVC HA-FX34
Sony MDR-33EX
Sony MDR-35
Sony MDR-EX76
Sony MDR-EX90LP
V-Moda Bass Freq
V-Moda Vibe

Nothing comes even close to the clarity of the RE0.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 39
What did the FX700's not do to your liking? Curious.....

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 39

Quote:
What did the FX700's not do to your liking? Curious.....

I felt a little too airy when I could get a good seal, but most of the time they just wouldn't go in my ears. They would fall out after a few minutes and the big housing would rub on my ear making me not want to wear them too long as I'd imagine it would be painful for long sessions.

If it wasn't for those 2 little things I would love them.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 39
Ah, man, that's a bummer. I hate that when you can tell there's so much potential in an IEM, but because of fit issues you just can't get the most out of them. I had a similar problem with the Ortofon e-Q7. I soooo wanted to hear the sound everyone was describing, but couldn't quite get there.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 39
Maybe the new Etymotic MC5? It uses dynamic drivers so it should have more bass than the rest of their line-up and etymotic is known for accuracy and clarity.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 39
SM3, Radius DDM, EX700, MTP Copper and IE8...............

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
Maybe the new Etymotic MC5? It uses dynamic drivers so it should have more bass than the rest of their line-up and etymotic is known for accuracy and clarity.

Yeah, I'm really curious about the new MC5 for that very reason -- just wondering if the Ety accuracy is largely due to using BA drivers?  But if anyone can get a dynamic to sound accurate it will probably be Ety.

Another thought for a strong dynamic IEM is the Klipsch S4 -- it was too strong for me, but it certainly had big bass and strong trebles -- it needs to tame for about 40-60 hours before it loses its initial harshness.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 39

Quote:

Another thought for a strong dynamic IEM is the Klipsch S4 -- it was too strong for me, but it certainly had big bass and strong trebles -- it needs to tame for about 40-60 hours before it loses its initial harshness.

To me the S4 were to hollow sounding, they just didn't feel very lively.  

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #13 of 39
Plus the bass on the S4 is bloated and flabby. It is all mid-bass, none of that lovely sub-bass.

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 39
If you love the RE0 that much, you're unlikely to find an IEM sufficiently close (especially with budget restraints). I suggest getting a source with a good EQ (like a rockboxed fuze). With a good bass bump on my clip, the RE0 get a bit more authoritative.

Jun 26, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 39
Honestly I'm not sure of a phone that matches the mids and highs of the RE0 and has deep bass with more impact than the RE0 has. If I have it correctly you want the mids and highs of the RE0 with the bass of the Hippo VB which I read is a budget bass monster iem.

W3 had a bit too much mid bass for me (unless I got a bad fit) and I thought of it as a refined TF10 minus the horrible ergonomics of the TF10.

e-Q7 does have deep bass but doesn't give you much impact more than the RE0 and the treble isn't as good as the RE0. There also is that rolloff and potential fit issue.

CK10 is closer but has a spike in the upper mids area so doesn't have the smoothness of the RE0 and while they extend fairly well they won't give you much more impact than the RE0. They do however have the best clarity I have yet to try.

CK90PRO is a bit closer but not really. The treble and mids are similar to the CK10 but with much more impact but it is so fast than the bass disappears faster than the impact comes and the extension is not as good as the CK10. Clarity is also good on these.

Let's see what else..

Coppers are not it either. Clarity is not one of the strengths on these also they do have nice bass. They have great mids and good treble however along with good bass. They do borderline too much bass for me but that may be what you want but once again clarity isn't as good as others.

I can't think of anything else right now. The problem is that it is very hard to get all three right esp if you have a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back