IEM w/ Most Sound Isolation + Good for Classical Music
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JTD131

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some in ear buds to shut out loud noise (i.e., crying baby) to help for studying.  So, I'm looking for the most isolation. It would also be good if they were good for classical music to boot. I own IE8's but they don't to a very good job of isolation and I don't want to spend a lot on a secondary pair.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 22
Um...  Look at Etymotics...  I hear that the MC5 (or MC3) and HF5 (or HF3 for iPhone/HF2 for smartphones) are a great value and seal very well.  The MC3 seems to only be liked by people who listen to classical.  I have yet to hear either one though :frowning2:

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 22
The standard recommendation for both extreme isolation and good for classical is the Ety ER-4.  You really trade off comfort for that isolation though. 

My suggestion is to get some noise reduction ear muffs and wear them over the IE8.  Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-H6A-Optime-Reduction-Earmuff/dp/B0017YGE8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310074848&sr=8-1

They will provide 21dB reduction over what isolation you get from the IE8.  That should be plenty to stop something like a baby crying.  I use 29dB ear muffs with my Westone 1 when cutting the grass and I can just barely hear the lawn mower with no music. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 22
With some Comply foamies or Shure olives, comfort becomes a nonissue. The standard flanges straight rape my ears though. I can use the ER-4S with comply foams for 8 hour study sessions without a problem.

Quote:
The standard recommendation for both extreme isolation and good for classical is the Ety ER-4.  You really trade off comfort for that isolation though. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Like the other posts, the ER4P/S are great for isolation.  However, you don't have to go with Etymotic and will have nearly as good isolation using triple flange tips and deep insertion.  It is these tips that really gives the Etymotic and pretty much most other IEM the desired isolation just along you have a good seal with deep inseration if going this route.  The IE8 are great IEM for classical (IMHO).  You might want to experiment with different tips to achieve the isolation and keep the IE8 great sound.  Good luck.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 22
I may be in the minority, but I would avoid Etymotics unless you have a high current source.  They are very detailed, but miss all the warmth and weight of many stringed and percussion instruments.  I listen to classical 90-95% of the time and abandoned Ety a long time ago--and haven't looked back.  When you say that you don't want to spend too much, what is too much?  

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 22
The Triflanges really aren't that bad once you get used to them, and it's nice to not have to keep buying foamies. It looks like the ER-4PT just dropped under $200 on Amazon as of today. It is a very good IEM for classical music, and the isolation is hard, if not impossible, to beat. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
With some Comply foamies or Shure olives, comfort becomes a nonissue. The standard flanges straight rape my ears though. I can use the ER-4S with comply foams for 8 hour study sessions without a problem.

Even with the smallest foam tips, it's an issue for me.   Some days, my ears just can't take the deep insertion and, even on the best days, I can't take deep insertion for more than an hour or so. 

Quote:
I may be in the minority, but I would avoid Etymotics unless you have a high current source.  They are very detailed, but miss all the warmth and weight of many stringed and percussion instruments.  I listen to classical 90-95% of the time and abandoned Ety a long time ago--and haven't looked back.  When you say that you don't want to spend too much, what is too much?  

That's another reason to use hearing protection ear muffs.  If you already have an IEM that you like the sound of, ear muffs can increase the isolation without changing the sound.  You do need relatively flat IEMs which I believe the IE8s are.  Otherwise the ear muff presses against the body of the IEM and it's not very comfortable.

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
The Triflanges really aren't that bad once you get used to them, and it's nice to not have to keep buying foamies. It looks like the ER-4PT just dropped under $200 on Amazon as of today. It is a very good IEM for classical music, and the isolation is hard, if not impossible, to beat. 
etysmile.gif

Whoa, they cost $214 a couple weeks ago when I bought them and I thought that was cheap, I picked up the last one amazon had at the time.

I can't wait for my ER-4PT !!

Jul 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 22
yeah it's a damn good deal now. i picked up the er-4p when it was 239. i don't regret paying that much, but the price is going back down to old prices.

Quote:

Whoa, they cost $214 a couple weeks ago when I bought them and I thought that was cheap, I picked up the last one amazon had at the time.

I can't wait for my ER-4PT !!

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
yeah it's a damn good deal now. i picked up the er-4p when it was 239. i don't regret paying that much, but the price is going back down to old prices.

Yeah, there was a period where they went up almost to the MSRP ($299). Any idea why? (off topic, I know)

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 22
back when i was first thinking of picking the er-4 up, clieos opined that etymotic was trying to relaunch their product line with the er-4pt (which is exactly the same as the er-4p) through price control.

i'm inclined to agree with him. i don't think it worked. ety probably has the best single BA iem on the market, but i don't think they can adjust the street price back to 299 and expect consumers to bite with amazing 3/4 BA iems on the market that are slightly above that price bracket.

Quote:
Yeah, there was a period where they went up almost to the MSRP ($299). Any idea why? (off topic, I know)

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #15 of 22
The ER-4PT apparently comes with a frequency graph signed in pen by an Etymotic AE that your IEM is matched to that graph.

The ER-4S is apparently exactly the same apart from a higher impedance cable, you can buy a cable impedance adapter from Etymotic that turns the ER-4P into the ER-4S, but you can't turn the ER-4S into the ER-4P.

ER-4B is apparently the same as the ER-4S except with a different filter or something, see thread "most analytical IEM's?".

If anyone knows where you can get an impedance cable adapter identical to the one Etymotic sells for cheaper please let me know =] I want one but 60 bucks for a tiny cable seems deer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back