IEM users: who's stopped using a portable amp after upgrading earphones?
Feb 14, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but can you have one without the other?

I could be wrong but from what I understand, don't you need to boost or amp a pure signal?

I suppose technically you could just throw a volume control from Radio Shack in between the line out and the headphone. Assuming the line-out is good enough.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose technically you could just throw a volume control from Radio Shack in between the line out and the headphone. Assuming the line-out is good enough.

Well that will only work if the line-out is loud enough. A volume control will only attenuate the signal, not amplify it. In general, you will want to use a line-out with an amp.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #34 of 46
I kinda dropped out the SM3s out of my portable rig too. Now I listen to my UM2 unamped >95% of the time. Rockbox rulez!
icon10.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #35 of 46
Since I use an H140 as my source, I'm kinda stuck with using an amp for any critical listening as the lineout sounds so much better than the head-out (especially with IEM's...hiss). Even beyond that, my UE5c's sound better with amping anyways...but not as good as my HHF-1's.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer to go unamped with my IEMs. For one, I don't think they benefit much from an amp and two, it kind of defeats the point of portable, lugging an amp and cable around.

Seconded. Why get ultra-portable phones (thereby sacrificing sound quality, dollar-for-dollar), only to add bulk and complexity with an amp and ICs? I do notice a difference when amping all my IEMs, but it's not huge. The difference between IEMs is *far* more substantial than the difference made by introducing an amp (or at least the portable amp I have, which, admittedly, is not at the top of the food chain). Anyway, the SQ difference would have to be night and day for me to carry around an amp with my nice, portable rig. My portable amp gathers dust...haven't used it in over a year, probably should sell it, etc.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #37 of 46
Yeah, I can only tell a small difference with my shuffle vs ipod and tbh, but i'm not using an alo or dock audio out, just phone out so maybe that's worth a try, but this setup is king of portable for me.

portablerg.jpg

portable.jpg

also you can see my duo flange mod, i'm gonna start another thread on them.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seconded. Why get ultra-portable phones (thereby sacrificing sound quality, dollar-for-dollar), only to add bulk and complexity with an amp and ICs? I do notice a difference when amping all my IEMs, but it's not huge. The difference between IEMs is *far* more substantial than the difference made by introducing an amp (or at least the portable amp I have, which, admittedly, is not at the top of the food chain). Anyway, the SQ difference would have to be night and day for me to carry around an amp with my nice, portable rig. My portable amp gathers dust...haven't used it in over a year, probably should sell it, etc.

Completely agree. However, an amp does bring out the very last percent of refinement. If your portable circumstances allow for a slightly bulkier rig, then by all means use an amp. Nevertheless, I still think that the IEMs are the most important factor. Get as good an IEM you possibly can first.

Oh, BTW the biflange mod has been around for quite a while
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, BTW the biflange mod has been around for quite a while
wink.gif

yeah i've read of a bunch of different peoples methods, just felt like talkin about it,

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey BlessingX are you referring to the EarPeace prototypes? I'm getting fitted for mine tomorrow. I must say they do look very interesting and I think will have loads of potential once they go official. I'll do a short writeup after I recieve my pair.

Bingo. Yes, I was waiting to discuss until they ended up in a few more hands and the name/model number/etc. got all ironed out. Indeed they are part of the EarPeace organization, though again I don't know in the end what they'll be called.

Since IEMs are usually used portably and players can vary greatly in output (the Karma & iPod at 30mw per channel versus some MDs at 5mw) I suppose this plays a part in the requirement of an amp with a pair of high efficiency IEMs. Have had what I would consider very good portable amps (SR71, C&C) it does make me wonder if indeed moving up in IEMs could make amps less necessary (after all it seems the higher you go the more hiss is discussed) thus if may not cost much more to go "big" solo than lower with an amp. Just a theory, but I hadn't thought of that before.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that will only work if the line-out is loud enough. A volume control will only attenuate the signal, not amplify it. In general, you will want to use a line-out with an amp.

True, it assumes like out is loud enough. I don't have experience with the higher end iems but I assumed it would be plenty loud out of line-out. I'm sure I'm wrong though.

All in all this is an interesting thread when compared with some of the threads on amps especially made for iems.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #42 of 46
I, too, have given up the portable amp. After finally deciding the UM2's were what I wanted, I spent MANY, MANY hours A/B'ing. While the was a slight difference, it was not enough for me to carry the amp. Keeping in mind, when I use my portable rig, I am not looking for critical listening, but rather, a way to pass the time. If I listened all day at work, I would most likely continue to use the amp.

I am happy without.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #43 of 46
From my experience with a Zen Vision:M, the line out would be plenty loud (in this case).

I used to use the line out connecting to my Eclipse HU and it often overloaded the analog input I was using. The line out seemed to be atleast as loud as the headphone volume at max.

Feb 15, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #44 of 46
Got 2 main setups. With a hd5 or zen vision m I go line out into a pocketamp 2v2 and then Ety 6i's - IMHO the sound is much better amped than not with the 6is.

BUT recently bought superfi5 pros and I run those unamped. Not the difference that the amp makes to the etys with these phones!(IMHO)

I like both setups - partly depends on type of music (Zappa and Tri Yann !!! ) but also if i want maximum portability or not!!

Jun 13, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have, too, most of the time. I spent about an hour last night comparing the same songs on my iriver 140 with Xin SM3v.6/OPA627s with my iriver 120 straight out of the headphone jack. Oh, I was using Ety ER-4Ss.

The irivers have 20x20mw headphone outputs, which is pretty good. I noticed a difference in about 1/2 of the songs -- there was an increased focus and naturalness to the music, especially vocals, and a decrease in upper midrange glare, when using the amp. Is it noticeable when on the go? Not really. I'm going to try leaving the amp at home and see if I'm satisfied with the Etys straight of the 140 (which I know flies against the conventional wisdom that the ETYs require an amp).

-Erik

I agree. The consensus in this forum is that ER4S requires amping. After using LDM+ then Hornet (ipod/lineout), out of laziness I took the amp out of the equation. There was small degradation in SQ (and barely noticeable) but the music was just as enjoyable IMO. After all, I do my critical listening at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back