IEM Upgrade Time
Nov 6, 2007 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheKing

New Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Shure E3's for quite a while and I now have the upgrade bug. These things have been around the world with me a few times and it's time to replace them and put them out to pasture.

I'm looking to go with the Westone UM2 or the Shure se420. I've found them both for somewhere in the $300 range and I can't spend any more than that. Anyone know any comparable IEMs in this range? What is the general concensus about differences in SQ with these two IEMs?

Also, about upgrading to a dual-driver IEM: will they suffer terribly if I'm using them unamped with my IPod Classic? I used my E3s unamped frequently and they were fine, but what about the 420's or the UM's? I have a Total Bithead and I'm about to get a Mini-box E with my new IEM purchase, so these will be the two amps I'll be using them with... anyone have experience with these amps and these phones together?

Any help is appreciated.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 12
Seems like you're happy with Shure.

I'd go E500/SE530.

The former can be found <$300 on eBay and the SE530 I have seen as low as $250 but harder to find at that pricepoint.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 12
Agreed, if you like the Shure sound. If you want to save even more money, the Ultimate Ears Super fi 5 pro can be had for around $100 used or $150ish new, and are great as well! I think both are an upgrade over the E3

Nov 6, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm listening to the Shure SE420 through a Total Bithead right now so I think I could definately answer any questions you have.
icon10.gif

The Total Bithead really improves the sound of these IEMs. This is not to say they sound bad when I use them with my Nano, it is just the sound quality really improves for the SE420 when they are amped.

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by arevalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like you're happy with Shure.

I'd go E500/SE530.

The former can be found <$300 on eBay and the SE530 I have seen as low as $250 but harder to find at that pricepoint.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Westone because I wasn't very happy with the cable that was used on the last pair of shures. The rubber/plastic cover broke down very easy and actually needed a small piece of electrical tape.

But if I can find the se530's for $250 then clearly that's the way to go. Where on earth can I find a deal like that?

Nov 7, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 12
you can usually find them or the older e500 for that price here the FS forum. I just bought a pair a while back that was used for 230USD.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 12
What about Livewires? They are sold direct for $249 plus about $50 for impressions and for your $300 limit you get dual driver customs. I am considering them for my next upgrade when I get some discretionary funds (gas and food first!).

www.livewiresforyou.com

Use the search function in this forum for reviews and how the sound signature compares to Ety, Sensaphonics and others. I saw several comments remarking how well the Livewires sounded unamped.

Nov 8, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jclinton46 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Livewires? They are sold direct for $249 plus about $50 for impressions and for your $300 limit you get dual driver customs. I am considering them for my next upgrade when I get some discretionary funds (gas and food first!).

www.livewiresforyou.com

Use the search function in this forum for reviews and how the sound signature compares to Ety, Sensaphonics and others. I saw several comments remarking how well the Livewires sounded unamped.

I use Livewires unamped, and it's a revelation when using a good source. Less is better if you don't muddy the stream. Livewires respond to whatever you feed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back