IEM that sounds closest to HD600
Mar 15, 2011 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
What IEM - universal or customs - sounds closest to a de-foamed HD600 for around $300 or less?* I need a portable better than my JLab J3,** which doesn't fit me right (so basically I'd prefer a nautilus-shaped universal) and also I'd like to get something better, specifically, sounds close to the two cans I have at home. Sold my iPod Video recently, but I'm looking to use this unamped with a J3 that I'll get soon.*** I sometimes bring the SR225 out but it's a transportable for the most part, not to mention the tropical climate has prevented me from attempting to walk around with those earpads.

*Or a universal that will sound that way with certain tips, or when re-shelled
**Kinda happy with the sound; wide stage on most instruments but sometimes
**Will also get an X3 and E11 but these aren't out yet so no reviews; plus I need the J3 to be more portable with this - thin size fits in pants pockets with a plastic hardcase, but isn't as bare-bones as audio-only players, specifically the ultra-portables. Need these for commuting and any time I have to be anywhere waiting or cueing up.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Yup, but I'm not sure if its the source or the amp but it reminded me more of the HD650. Or it could have been the tips. (And I just read right now that the bass is tune-able; should have tried that!)

Someone did advise me before that I should get the IE7, but I haven't heard it and I did not come across an observation in the reviews as to how close they were to the HD600. Although my main concern with it is the shape. Aesthetically I like it better than the rounded diamond housing on the IE8, but ergonomically, I read that corner on the housing poked on some people's ears. Since I haven't tried one, I'm wary about spending $199+shipping to $339 (local retail with 2 year warranty at the local distributor) only to find out that pointy thing is a problem. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 9
Ergonomics is indeed a concern for all the Sennheiser iems'.  I've read of users with such problems for both ie8 and 7.  I haven't tried ie7 personally, so I won't comment on that, and I also agree with your comment about hd650 = ie8.  ie8 sounds a lot better with an amp to tighten up the bass, I noticed a big difference between plugging it straight into my iphone 4 or ipc120 with headstage arrow, but HD600 will still be a bit more neutral compared to ie8 then.  

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I found the DBA-02s to be fairly similar to my hd600s, with the foam and a smurf cardas cable. Though they decided to die two days after I received the hd600s sooo I wasn't able to compare them extensively.  

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #6 of 9
@dragonfyra,

That's also why I prefer the nautilus-shaped IEMs that direct teh cable over the earlobe, ie, Westone and Shure. But this time I'd like to really match my portable to my Reference system, except of course I want it simplified to just a DAP and a $300-ish IEM. Just want to cut the compromises I used to take with the portables, but without going all-out financially or lugging an amp around.

@dirkpitt45,

Thanks for the tip. I think someone in our local forum might get one; will look around but I hope I can get to try these myself. The shell doesn't seem to have the issues on the Sennheisers.

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 9
I haven't heard the HD600 and it isn't my quote. But I just remembered this post:

Quote:
Checking in on this thread. I've been listening to a new set set of e-Q7's for 3 days now, thanks to curiosity generated by this thread. I've sorted the inevitable fit issues down to sony hybrids for now. Not an absolutely perfect fit but an adequate seal for now.

So far I'm impressed with the e-Q7 . I am generally a full size can listener and only use IEM's peripherally. I've been settled on TripleFi10's for the last couple years for IEMs after owning Se530's and Ety Er4P's. The Trips have a sound signature that I find appealing for "on the go" IEM use although they are definitely much more colored than any fullsize can I would keep. Trips remind me a lot of the Ultrasone phones I've heard. I have a distaste for Ultrasones when sitting down for critical listening but for portable use, the Trip's similar sound is very appealing.

My impression of the e-Q7 so far is it is very different in presentation from IEM's I'm familiar with. It's very very "polite", which is something that isn't designed into the IEM's I'm familiar with. It doesn't have exaggerations that call attention to it. In general I've found that colorations are much much more tolerated in IEMs than full size cans and appear to be included by design in many cases. So far, the e-Q7 is striking me as very similar to the HD600 signature. I am fond of the HD600 when it's well driven and the e-Q7 has a lot of the positives of the HD600. The e-Q7 is neutral with a touch of warmth, very good extension on both high and lows, has very impressive layering of soundstage. I wouldn't call it the absolute most transparent IEM I've heard but it has top tier clarity.

I'm wondering if eventually I may find the e-Q7 sound not suitable for an IEM keeper though. I would never bring along an HD600 rig to the places I use IEMs and not just because of the weight & unwieldiness. Most of the places I use IEM's -on planes, at the gym and at work when I want isolation/distraction- aren't critical listening environments. I tend to like a lot more "flashiness" in an IEM than I would tolerate in a can. The e-Q7 may be too honest and polite to get enough IEM use by me. I'm definitely enjoying and impressed by them now while "new toy" syndrome is in effect.

I'll check back on this thread and update when I have something to add. I also have a pair of CK10's to pick up in a few days, so it is going to be fun contrasting a couple new toys. Hopefully the CK10 lives up to the discussions, the e-Q7 certainly is. It is very impressive how far/fast the IEM market is moving ahead right now.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Update: I passed by a Mac dealer a few days ago and some Shures were on a demo rack. Had my S9 with me and about an hour to kill so I decided to have another go.

Listening with the EQ, BBE and STE set to Normal (Flat), the SE420 is a lot like my AKG K66: flat sounding almost to the point of boring with some harshness in the treble. Except this is an IEM and it's easier to drive, so it still had noticeably better "oomph" from about 250hz down. SE530 was markedly easier to drive: at the same volume level, 20, I'd go deaf, so I lowered it to 15. I loved the sound: fairly balanced save for some emphasis on the lower freqs,Lacked the treble of de-foamed HD600s BUT were never harsh.

I was in the same mall today and again with some time to kill, this time I tried it with the EQ, starting off with my default for my JLabs J3* then using what I remember from the comparative response graph from Headroom,** try to make one sound like the other. At the initial EQ settings, guitars on the SE420 were definitely more detailed and warm, and had that "crunch" without sounding like a palm-muted 7-string all the time. SE530 really did well with Jazz and some faster but less lead guitar-driven Blues-influenced Jazz, but the 420 was the best for Metal and closer to the de-foamed HD600 without the depth. Focus was actually better though, no doubt because the S9 had enough power for the SE420 vs what my CD60 was giving the HD600s. Tweaking the EQ as best I could, I still couldn't get the same treble on the SE530, while the 420 only needs a little more boost centered at 300hz and 70hz, Wide, to gain some ground on the SE530s.

And while the SE425's with the detachable cable are about to be released locally, pretty much anywhere online they go for $299. The 420s here used to be around $399 (which is why I didn't demo them til now, and why no one I know in the local audio forum-communities has one) , they're now on sale for about $210.

Now it's a toss up between that and just getting the DBA-02's online, although I've yet to listen to that one.

*Band 1 = 0: Band 2 = +2 at 250hz, Wide; Band 3 = +3 at 780hz, Wide; Band 4 = +3 at 2.4khz, Normal; Band 5 = 0; BBE= OFF; STE=OFF
**I know it doesn't really represent the performance, but it's the best I had for today

Users who are viewing this thread

Back