IEM sound vs full cans sound
Oct 13, 2010 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chillybawls

New Head-Fier
How much of a difference would one hear between say the head-direct RE0's and grado sr60i's. Just pure sound, do full cans sound clearly superior compared to similarly priced IEMs?

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 10
From my experience my UM3x cannot compete in detail, extension and soundstage against my full size cans of equal or lesser price(Grado MS2i,Ultrasone pro 2500).  

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Basically i think
IEM give you more detail
and FZ give you bigger image and soundstage

hotsport is both wise and correct :p

IEMs generally have a much more clear sound usually with higher quality bass.  Full size offer a more enveloping stage and separation, but generally do not have the crystal clarity iems have until you are paying the big bucks for the full sized.   

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 10

Which IEMs and Full Size HP's have you compared.  I'm curious.  From my experience it is the opposite.  Thanks.
Quote:
hotsport is both wise and correct :p

IEMs generally have a much more clear sound usually with higher quality bass.  Full size offer a more enveloping stage and separation, but generally do not have the crystal clarity iems have until you are paying the big bucks for the full sized.   

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 10
I think that for a given price, a full size headphone will only give you advantages in soundstage and maybe dynamics.  These were the areas in which my MS-1 beat my RE0 but the MS-1 was outclassed in all other areas and I paid slightly more for the MS-1.  My AD-900 which costs more than double the RE0, is able to beat it in all areas but not always by much so I think IEMs are much better value if you don't mind the presentation.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
From my experience my UM3x cannot compete in detail, extension and soundstage against my full size cans of equal or lesser price(Grado MS2i,Ultrasone pro 2500).  

This is interesting
From what i have experienced
UM3x and Ms2i
Ms2i give you better soundstage.
It sound like music is being play outside of your head, while um3x as well as most IEM sound like everything is play inside your head.
So i agree with you on this one.

Extension?
For high, of course the Grado offer you more high as that is their trademark, clear and sparkling high.
Bass? I don't really agree. Grado might give you bigger image of the bass which make it sound like more bass extension, but imho
Um3x offer more bass extension. Grado only offer you more upper bass (slam your head and rock your world
L3000.gif
)

Detail
Well, since grado high is really nice and detail so it sound like it is clearer and all.
But talking about detail you are not only talking about the high. I think Um3x offer more detail in mid and bass.
(And i must say that ms2i offer more detail than average FZ can so i think the most other FZ at this price range couldn't compete with an IEM)

That my theory why you experience different result.
I am just talking about IEM vs FZ can not a comparing any of them specifically but since you asked so hope that's help
biggrin.gif

PS.
sorry for my poor English skill. English really isn't my first language. And I always got low grade on English Exam.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Best way is to buy and test yourself.  We all hear differently and have different sources and amps.  If you do not have an amp then IEM's would probably sound better, due to the low power requirements most IEM's need, also on a noisy environment IEM will give more detail due to the isolation it provides.  If you do have an amp you should definately test Full size cans.  Everybody has different experiences due to the different matches of equipment and sound preferences.  I suggest you go to the Full Size cans section and search for "IEM".  You will get a few IEM vs Full Size cans discussions there.  goodluck!

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 10
I'm pretty sure opinions will vary depending on the IEM and full size you are comparing. Personally I found my SR325i beating my TF10 into submission in terms of detail, sound stage, and clarity, and that is with a Lune silver cable. I do enjoy the TF10 for its portability, but when portability isn't an issue, I always find myself reaching for the cans. I find these two to be a fair comparison since they are both around the same price range. I'm not sure how other IEMs and cans of different make and price range will compare. Maybe others here can give you more insight with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back