IEM Score List 2023 - What's Your Favorite IEM?
Dec 19, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #77 of 379
  have you ever had chance hear noble savanna? what do you think about the sound? is it better with a DAC?

As you can see Savanna is on the list, so yes I've heard it.

Savanna is a flat and reference sounding monitor with a little emphasis on mid frequency area. It has a hint of musicality because of that, so it's not flat in a boring way. It's really enjoyable. I think it's the best IEM for 500USD price tag. Technically it's very strong about resolution and seperation. But of course if you want big bass or somewhat a fun sound, than it's not for you. 

You mean DAC or DAP? Every device has a DAC so I don't understand what you meant, but obviously it would be better with a better source. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #78 of 379
I'm late to this thread but I agree with FZmans earlier post about the kse1500 Shure. It's in another league for truth, justice and the American way. If it doesn't sound that way to you, investigate your sources or files as that's what you're hearing. So much of audio is interfacing and even when ranking IEMs, the same person may juggle his own preferences given different conditions and associated equipment. 

I have a older set of JH13fp's and use a twag v3 cable. I've heard other customs that I feel compete with it but really it's not my weak link and as good as anything, for me. It has gnat's hair more low bass than what I feel ideal that becomes almost ideal on the go which is how I use them but really, it's super resolved and has no more faults than any other custom or universal I've heard. I also don't like to put all electrostats in the same bag. The Shure is a unique device in it's format. I find most Stax too ethereal sounding and sometimes a touch hot.(For me, early, unmodified low voltage Lambdas perspective is about right.) The Shure doesn't exhibit those negative traits and has proper solidity and weight. More warmth is about preference and not accuracy.

I can't believe how much difference I hear between FWs, cables etc, from too warm or laid back to too hot and aggressive and everything in between with the JH13s. Means things are probably neutral and revealing enough though I could easily see others preferring something else due to interface or simply a preference for a warmer/leaner etc sig. The thing that got me to finally commit for the jh13 was frephase. It may not be the only relatively correct time domain IEM as any single driver will also be, but it does get black, delineates, focuses, times up and does so better for me than things like the K10 and I like the K10. Never felt the desire to move to newer JHs either. I find them more different than anything else, generally warmer than I like or they don't balance the low bass to mid bass as well with the dials turned down. Thar said, the midbass to low bass balance on current JH universals or customs is similar to other top models and the high frequency texture, air and apparent extension can be pretty awesome. I find the bass of most the top customs to have too much midbass warmth relative to what I personally consider accurate. I get that you can have more warmth and still get delineation by spending more but more than what I know/feel should be there is not what I want. I don't find that to be having you're cake and eating it to. I just find that to be a different flavored cake. Maybe one that's a little too sweet.
wink_face.gif

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #80 of 379
I compared them in my Andromeda review.

Andromeda has a slightly wider stage, but the S-EM9’s is deeper. Due to Andromeda’s thicker note presentation, the stage placement is relatively full. The S-EM9’s stage feels slightly more intimate, but the combination of leaner notes with greater treble extension and an airier stage gives it a cleaner sound. Simply said, Andromeda comes at you strong with a full-bodied sound, while the S-EM9 has a more delicate but refined presentation. Andromeda’s full sound makes it engaging, while the S-EM9’s better definition and separation gives it a different type of musicality, sounding very detailed without resorting to a brighter signature.

Both share a similar sub-bass, while the S-EM9 has more mid-bass impact, and its mid-bass is more resolving. However, Andromeda’s tighter bass is overall slightly quicker. While the S-EM9 scores points for its bass, Andromeda gets a win for its midrange: it has more body, power and warmth compared to the S-EM9. Vocals have greater size and density, especially male vocals. Both share an engaging treble, but Andromeda contrasts a thicker treble with a bit more sparkle against the S-EM9’s greater extension, which gives it an airier sound with better treble definition and articulation.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #82 of 379
I couldn't resist. 
smily_headphones1.gif

S-EM9 and Velvet has the same bass driver and bass driver configuration. Exactly the same. The only difference is, on Velvet you can adjust the bass resistor. You gave S-EM9, 9/10 and Velvet, 6/10 for bass. I've auditioned both of them and their basses are very similar and they're also very nice. 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #83 of 379
I couldn't resist. :)

S-EM9 and Velvet has the same bass driver and bass driver configuration. Exactly the same. The only difference is, on Velvet you can adjust the bass resistor. You gave S-EM9, 9/10 and Velvet, 6/10 for bass. I've auditioned both of them and their basses are very similar and they're also very nice. 
regular_smile%20.gif

S-EM9 very amzing bass and BEST iem for edm and trance music.

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #84 of 379
  I couldn't resist. 
smily_headphones1.gif

regular_smile .gif

So let me get this straight.

Do you think that we should give Velvet's bass a straight 9, because it's the exact same driver? Well maybe if we could ignore that it has NO MIDBASS whatsoever?... Maybe, but that's unfortunately not the case. Midbass is naturally a part of the bass section, so that's why it gets a 6. An IEM with having almost zero midbass can not get above 6 in my book. I understand that's also a reason for many people to favor it but the table should be more objective than that.

Btw, I'm not sure it's the same driver. The bass sounds really complete and miles better on S-EM9. Even if it's the same driver and same configuration (how you could be so sure is a mystery to me), that doesn't mean it should sound the same or on same success level because there's a thing called synergy with other drivers.

Anyway, that's my ranking so you don't have to agree.

I might get a Velvet V2 in the near future for a review, I hope it's more coherent this time. (like what ES-3 is able do to)

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #85 of 379
  So let me get this straight.

Do you think that we should give Velvet's bass a straight 9, because it's the exact same driver? Well maybe if we could ignore that it has NO MIDBASS whatsoever?... Maybe, but that's unfortunately not the case. Midbass is naturally a part of the bass section, so that's why it gets a 6. An IEM with having almost zero midbass can not get above 6 in my book. I understand that's also a reason for many people to favor it but the table should be more objective than that.

Btw, I'm not sure it's the same driver. The bass sounds really complete and miles better on S-EM9. Even if it's the same driver and same configuration (how you could be so sure is a mystery to me), that doesn't mean it should sound the same or on same success level because there's a thing called synergy with other drivers.

Anyway, that's my ranking so you don't have to agree.

I might get a Velvet V2 in the near future for a review, I hope it's more coherent this time. (like what ES-3 is able do to)

They have the same driver number.

This is the problem about your list. Remember the last time I wrote? It was about something similar. Concepts. When you put a bass section on your IEM list, I assume it was something about the bass quality which Velvet has a great one. When you put -if you look at our last discussion- things called "tonality", "control" people tend to understand something different. 
I'm not saying you're wrong. True, Velvet has a dip at the mid-bass. (whereas the lack of mid-bass on Velvet affects the mids more than basses) I'm saying the list is incomplete. If you put a legend(key map) it can be more accurate. Look, I'm making a constructive criticism. 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 14, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #86 of 379
  They have the same driver number.

This is the problem about your list. Remember the last time I wrote? It was about something similar. Concepts. When you put a bass section on your IEM list, I assume it was something about the bass quality which Velvet has a great one. When you put -if you look at our last discussion- things called "tonality", "control" people tend to understand something different. 
I'm not saying you're wrong. True, Velvet has a dip at the mid-bass. (whereas the lack of mid-bass on Velvet affects the mids more than basses) I'm saying the list is incomplete. If you put a legend(key map) it can be more accurate. Look, I'm making a constructive criticism. 
regular_smile%20.gif

I repeat, a monitor which has almost zero midbass can not and will not be considered as having a qualitative bass. Midbass is a part of the bass area. OK? Yes it also affects the mids and that's why it's 7.5, not more.

I can put a key map but that won't change your opinions. Even so, it's a good advice.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #88 of 379
Thanks for the chart.
How do you compare, and which do you think is better, Campfire Andromeda or Oriolus? Especially in the female vocals aspect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back